NHL'94 Forums

Looking for a sprite sheet for a NHL94 like hockey game

Hello everyone,

I am a programmer with about a year and a half of programming experience in C++, and slowly learning a few other languages like Python, Javascript, and so on. I recently tried the Unity game development environment, and found it quite powerful.

I personally find that the non-console options for Hockey video games are rather thin. Now that EA no longer develops the NHL series for the PC, there is no (at least to my knowledge) hockey games available more current than NHL09 on the PC, and the best available on IOS or android are laughable at best (Im looking at you Ice Hockey 3D!). The ability of Unity to target multiple platforms easily might allow for creating a much nicer sort of NHL94 clone that could be run on a laptop or a tablet.

The trouble is, I havent had much luck in finding decent assets for the project, namely spritesheets for the players. So far, the best I have been able to find has been this:

http://opengameart.org/content/hockey-players

which is nice, but a little bit thin as far as animations and other good things that would really be needed for a decent game.

In a perfect world, I would just use a tile editor and directly rip the sprites from NHL94 straight out of the game, but that would obviously lead to uhh.. you know legal repercussions down the road.

I was wondering if anyone with an artistic bent would be interested in creating a sprite sheet that very closely mimicks the style of NHL94 (isometric projection, relatively low resolution sprites, properly proportioned players (no massively oversized heads etc.)) for a project like this? The project would be free and open-source, and proper credit would be given to any contributors.

And lastly, just in case anyone is interested, my github page:

https://github.com/BruceJohnJennerLawso

Edited by BruceJohnJennerLawso

this is very interesting. this seems like a very difficult project. I think you have a ton of problems greater than graphics ahead. I'd be willing to attempt to help with stuff, assuming you get a lot of the core ready and show an ability to overcome a variety of gamemaking problems, demonstrating a clear vector of completion likelihood. please share a lot and often!