NHL'94 Forums

Live NHL'94 genesis tournament in Chicago, March 11.

If any forum members go to this....mikey may come down to film for the doc. so you should post here. just in case.

It seems this is the same one from last year & the year before.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/16211-nhl94-tournament-in-chicago-may-29-2014/?hl=%20mac#39;s%20%20american

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/15726-live-tournament-chicago-il-thursday-oct17/?hl=%20mac#39;s%20%20american

IAmFleury'sHipCheck

Seems he went in 2013 & had a great write up. I wasn't able to make last year because I got stuck working. I'm off on this year's date, and plan on going w/ my younger brother, so I'm sure to be good and lit up!!

I'll try to see if I can't give some write up after it's over.

Hope to see some of you local Chicago guys there as well!

cool. these stories are always fun. be safe and represent the flow.com. plan your victory speech ahead of time.

I'll put up a better write up when I get time.

Got home 4 am & had to work all day. Just got home now.

Tourney rules were gens, classic 5 mins w/ penalties, no offsides BUT LIBE CHANGEs.

I was undefeated in the championship game & I played the host who took Chicago & sat behind the goalie for 20 straight minutes.

I was too drunk to even argue or be upset. Better details another time, but I lost on quite easily the stupidest ending to anything you could imagine.

Since he had to beat me twice, I had to ensure back to back games of jr skating around his goalie till my team was too fatigued to score & ran out the clock.

I'll put up a better write up when I get time.

Got home 4 am & had to work all day. Just got home now.

Tourney rules were gens, classic 5 mins w/ penalties, no offsides BUT LIBE CHANGEs.

I was undefeated in the championship game & I played the host who took Chicago & sat behind the goalie for 20 straight minutes.

I was too drunk to even argue or be upset. Better details another time, but I lost on quite easily the stupidest ending to anything you could imagine.

Since he had to beat me twice, I had to ensure back to back games of jr skating around his goalie till my team was too fatigued to score & ran out the clock.

Thanks for posting bud....Barf on the ending.

• 2 weeks later...

So, it turns out that in my brother & I were too drunk, & didn't take very good pictures to upload!!! (I'm the guy standing in front of the TV w/ the hat on backwards in the one blurred photo, and my brother is the one sitting to the right w/ his back to us playing on the other).

These 3 give a small glimpse into the back room at the bar, American Pub. It's a cool place downtown Chicago, and easy enough to get to. Knowing we were going to part take in heavy amounts of beer & shots from reading a post about this bar/tourney from a few years back, we took an Uber cab ride over to the bar from my brother's condo downtown rather than driving. The pre-gaming started around 1 pm for us, and the tourney started at 7 pm, so needless to say, I felt properly handicapped!

Anyhow, great group of guys hanging around playing. Tourney drawn up on a chalkboard w/ prizes to be awarded, and I think there were Blackhawk tickets for the winner (perhaps this explains the ending!). The back of the bar has a few TV's and some tables and a few arcade games, so it's perfect for a little tourney to be setup in & not have interuptions during your game of anyone trying to get by to go to the bathroom, grab a beer, etc. Didn't know how a tourney in a bar would work, but a back room like this works very well. TV's are a little high, so you have to adjust to looking straight up because SEGA joysticks aren't wireless and there is only so much reach on those cords.

There were a group of SNES players who were real cool & just happy to be out playing some NHL94 even if on the wrong format, but largely, most guys didn't know anything about a weight bug, proper deke's or even ratings for players, so the overall skill level for a get drunk & play NHL94 doesn't appear to be very high. A few guys figured out to ask me who to sub in for whatever team they grabbed, and that made for some interesting banter. Again, atmosphere wise, it was a great middle of the week get-a-way & smash up some NHL94, but this was no serious consideration for online style competition.

The rules they played by were double elimination, 5 minute periods w/ Penalties on except offsides but LINE CHANGES on. I'd read previously from someone about this tourney that they do this, so I was prepared for that part. Fairly uneventful, in that I won my games to advance through to the finals undefeated, including beating the bartender Yuri int he quarter finals, who was supposed to be the favorite(he eventually made his way back to me in the finals). My brother got bounced 2 games in a row, but he doesn't play this anymore, so it was still fun for him to be out at a bar with other guys relieving 20 year old memories.

For me, the biggest issue was that everyone chose their own team, so it was a constant Chicago vs whomever fest all night, and with line changes on, Eddy/Chicago gets hard to score on. As your team fatigues, you don't shoot as hard, and Chicago does a good job of being in front of Eddy, so it's actually hard to score on them in this mode. Scores are generally lower in this mode, but vs Chicago, the average drops an extra tick. I'd preferred any other format than the one chosen for game settings OR for team selection, but oh well. It's still '94 hockey, and that was still a good time.

Ooops, until the end. Kind of. Bartender met me in the finals and needed two wins to keep his crown & get those tickets (which I didn't know about till after!). He took Chicago both games, and I don't remember who I took to be honest! I think Detroit & Vancouver. In Game 1, JR took the early lead and then he surprised me by skating behind the goalie w/ the puck the rest of the game. Needless to say, by the time you manage to get the puck BACK from an opponent doing this uber queer move, your team is so fatigued that beating a Eddy Belfour is almost impossible. A fast 10 minutes later, the game was over, and a 1-0 victory or something like that. The small crowd were boing the guy, but he seemed really determine to do it anyway. At this stage of my drunkeness, I didn't care either way. I wasn't aware of the tickets, and I'd beat this guy on 99% of any normal games we'd play, so my competitive juices weren't flowing. If he was going to play that way, I was going to take the loss, unless I could stop him from grabbing the lead!

Game 2 was the same thing, except he changed it to 10 minute periods for the final game. I was trying to not give up the lead to prevent this queer style from unleashing itself on me again, but Larmer kicked in a goal on a wild "how did that happen" goal you see every now & then. I then, in my drunkeness, yanked on my controller so hard as I was turning to yell to my brother here come's the bullsh&t, that it pulled the Genesis onto the floor and crashed the game! At this time, I'm wondering if I owe this guy a Sega system or not, as they are trying to plug it back in, but it's not turning ON!

Somewhere, I'm laughing inside, and somewhere, I'm wondering how emotionally attached Yuri is to this Genesis because he seems to be getting (understandably) upset! I'm much bigger than him, so I'm not "nervous", but my wallet was definitely praying for that thing to work again! He gave me several glares in between the failed attempts, but then after 3-4 attempts, it finally came back to life. Now, this was early in the first, and since I crashed the game, someone said it was a forfeit. However, the bartender decided to make it a one 10 minute period with him being up 1-0. He then skated for 10 minutes behind the net. I can't even remember in any of these two games if I actually got the puck from him or not, but I do know, if your team is heavily fatigued, it's almost impossible to score. So, he did his victory celebration & I gave him my congrats.

All in all, I still had a great time, despite the queer ending. Most guys were out just to have some fun, and I certainly did that. My brother & I took a cab back to his place, and finished our night by playing till 6 am on the PS4 NHL15, which he returned the favor of me beating his butt in '94 by beating me all night in '15!!!

post-6250-0-49481100-1427296077_thumb.jp

post-6250-0-50198100-1427296084_thumb.jp

post-6250-0-11133800-1427296091_thumb.jp

Edited by Brutus

I almost forgot to mention.

The group of guys there who play SNES normally told me they do entire seasons at their house, and everyone gets together to play in person! Crazy cool and talk about committment! I left them my number if they need someone to be a replacement coach :)

One of them said he reads this forum, but hasn't signed up. However, I think an entire clan of SNES dudes should be a welcomed addition to the site. So if you strokes are reading this in the near future, grab an Avatar, and join up!!

The boys on the SNES need some numbers.

Game 1, JR took the early lead and then he surprised me by skating behind the goalie w/ the puck the rest of the game. Needless to say, by the time you manage to get the puck BACK from an opponent doing this uber queer move, your team is so fatigued that beating a Eddy Belfour is almost impossible. A fast 10 minutes later, the game was over, and a 1-0 victory or something like that.

Wow, that's SO bad. What a dick.

Glad to hear you had a great time regardless...hopefully more live events to happen soon!

Yeah I'm with Raph...cheap rules to create a cheap win.

How many played in the tournament?

I think there were about 15-20 guys there Hali, but if might have been less. My memory is definitely blurred on all that.

Before the tourney, a lot of pre-tourney action and once it was down to just Yuri & me, a lot of guys used the second TV to play Exi's, so my mind's clouded. I didn't use the chalk board, as it was obvious it wasn't going to be a "nail biter" type tourney. I think they gave me a bye in Round 1 because they had an odd number of dudes and I'd beaten most guys in the pre-games.

As for best way to handle a move like that, hindsight is 20/20 but I'd agree w/ Smoz in the future, I'd probably just walk away rather than keep playing under those conditions.

But, given my level of intoxication and all, I was happy I stayed happy!! I've been known to have a temper and a real dark side :)

In a weird way, I'm proud of myself for not being "me" in that instance!

Also, I'm still glad he threw the party and had everyone there and set it up and all.

Even if he used his queer move at the end, I'm not harboring ill feelings. I think he even bought me a shot and gave my brother a Blackhawk's hat at the end.

Definitely "house rules" applied though, but who can visit a guy's "house" and then walk away complaining like crazy and not really be the "crazy" one.

Yeah, well said Brut. One thing if this was a tournament of your buds, but in this case you were a visitor.

In the end, the tournament boiled down to who got to select Chicago in the finals.

It also would appear that the rules and setup are engineered to allow for easy Chicago wins this way.