NHL'94 Forums

Toronto Live Tournament for September 2015

halifax

I wanted to start a thread because I know some will need time to plan for this, especially those traveling long distance. As Mikey has mentioned in his video, there will be a live tournament held in Toronto and an ultimate champion of NHL'94 will be crowned at the HOCKEY HALL OF FAME!!! Mikey has asked some of us from the community (myself included in that group) to help put the tournament scheduling and format together, which we are, of course, more than happy to do.

I can't be any more excited about this. This really will be a once in a lifetime experience.

The tournament is looking to take place in September 2015 which will played on both Genesis and Super Nintendo consoles. A champion declared for each system and then the two champions will play the finals to determine the ultimate NHL'94 player. So start saving for the trip and ensuring your passports are up to date for those traveling from outside Canada.

As Mikey releases more information, we will include it here.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cool, I'll be there. Coincidentally, I found my Sega and 94 cartridge today and got in a few games on the real deal earlier today.

I can't even get 70 shots, let alone 70 goals. Raph's record is pretty crazy.

This is so cool. This is the incredible tournament at an incredible venue that most said was impossible & a ridiculous idea a couple of years ago. Shame on them!

Now to convince the GF we should spend our money on me going to Canada to play computer games! Return flights from Mexico City currently at $720 :-/

Is this a gens or a snes tourney??? you know how special it would be for me to come... although I prolly wouldnt be able to do anything in regards to uni and passport and all that :/

This is so cool. This is the incredible tournament at an incredible venue that most said was impossible & a ridiculous idea a couple of years ago. Shame on them!

I think I may have been one of those people...shame on me!

Is this a gens or a snes tourney??? you know how special it would be for me to come... although I prolly wouldnt be able to do anything in regards to uni and passport and all that :/

Both GENS and SNES with Players registering for one system. A Champion crowned for each and then an ultimate champion between the two systems, with the final likely being multiple games played on both systems. I'll update my initial post.

Now to convince the GF we should spend our money on me going to Canada to play computer games! Return flights from Mexico City currently at $720 :-/

Not sure it'll make any difference, but sometimes you can make a flight cheaper by targetting a small city near the big city you actually want to go to -- you'll often end up with a layover in the city you actually want to go to.. so you just stay there :D. So you might find a cheaper flight if you try to go to Ottawa or Montreal or Winnipeg, then look for flights that have layovers in Toronto. But you'll need to book your return flight separately, since you won't be boarding in Ottawa/Montreal/WPG on your way back...

airlines are tying their best to prevent this now that it is a commonly known trick. they may void your whole trip or something similarly awful if they catch on.

I'll put this on the maybe-list. Certainly would be fun to meet some of this crew.

I'll take a maybe right now bud...and work on turning it into a yes!

airlines are tying their best to prevent this now that it is a commonly known trick. they may void your whole trip or something similarly awful if they catch on.

Book the return flight with a different airline ;)

Be vewy vewy sorry when one of the airlines complains. And remind them that they got to keep your fuel surcharge for the miles/gallons that you didn't use.

I can't see an airline cancelling any trip paid. They have enough issues getting people to spend money with them.

They always could have just put into the purchase failure to use second part of the traveling ticket results in a penalty or restriction with their airline for future purchases, and never did. Primarily because they have a bad enough PR as is, I think.

Anyhow, it mentions the Champion crowned at the Hockey Hall of Fame. HOPEFULLY, we get to PLAY inside there as well in some setup. That would make the trip all worth the while on it's own!

I would have to think that it will be played in the "games" area, where the goalie shooter and Superchexx games are set-up.

The trophy def needs to be given away in the trophy room (if it's finally completed). If you've never been, the trophy room has all the look and feel of what you'd expect of one of professional sports oldest leagues.

14goc_cpd_webevent_hockeyhalloffame.jpg

Wouldn't mind a little Superchexx tourney as well, perhaps for the consolation bracket.

Already planning my day.

What format will they be using? Obviously a random team each game, best of 5 would be a decent format for a tournament.

Also one person picks teams, other picks which one they want; always a good way to go.

Line Changes? Please NO!

Edited by kylewat

What format will they be using? Obviously a random team each game, best of 5 would be a decent format for a tournament.

Also one person picks teams, other picks which one they want; always a good way to go.

Line Changes? Please NO!

I'll let Halifax write the rules but it will be very similar to the Saskatoon Smash event. Single game elimination into losers brackets.

Line Changes? Please NO!

I'll let Halifax write the rules but it will be very similar to the Saskatoon Smash event. Single game elimination into losers brackets.

The Saskatoon event, if I remember, was single-games, but you had to lose 3 times to be out of the tournament. The teams were selected by one player, and the other player got to pick which team to play with.

Best of 5 would just take foreveeeer (an hour for a 5 game series)

Hi everyone!

I'm Jeff and im maybe the best nhl '94 players who are not here :horror:

But im new here, and my english is very not perfect..

If someone can speak French and if he want help me, your are the welcome.

-- If someone have some time for him, I want to test this online vs another player. But like I said, I need a " coatch " to help me in this website. I want to participate to this tournament but I don't know how.

Thx

Jeff

To answer some questions /comments posted above (I'm to lazy to quote each post and edit them).

Firstly, I think anyone coming to play in this tournament should be guaranteed 3 games.

The 'in game' rules will be the same as classic league. Teams are selected with a coin flip. The coin flip "winner" picks the teams involved, the "loser" picks his team and gets home.

My ideal format would be to separate players into groups and have the group play triple elimination with x number of qualifiers from that group moving on to the "play downs". The groups would be determined by known skill, in other words, making sure the best online players are not in the same group and fill the groups out accordingly. Those players we don't know anything about will be randomized in groups to fill them out. The "play downs"consisting of double elimination until there's a winner. The finals between the champion of each console consisting of an equal number of games on both systems in a total goal format.

But since I don't know how much time I have to work with (how long we can be there), don't now how many stations (tv+consoles) we will be able to set up and I have no idea how many guys will come to play. All of these factors will impact what we can do.

My thought is to have group qualifiers play in the hall of fame. The group stage may have to be at another location (pub or something) if we can't fit it in the time given to us from the hockey hall of fame.

Hi everyone!

I'm Jeff and im maybe the best nhl '94 players who are not here :horror:

But im new here, and my english is very not perfect..

If someone can speak French and if he want help me, your are the welcome.

-- If someone have some time for him, I want to test this online vs another player. But like I said, I need a " coatch " to help me in this website. I want to participate to this tournament but I don't know how.

Thx

Jeff

Bonjour Jeff,

Je ne peux pas parlais francais tres bien, mais ce n'est pas necessaire de jouer online pour participer au tournement. Seulement payer le frais et tu peux participer. Nous allons mettre en place au website pour ca. Plus d'informations dans les prochaines semaines.

Flights cheaper on aeromexico than air canada. Same price to go to ottawa etc.

Working on convincing the GF lol

When you arrive, do we fly the mexican or british flag? :)

Bonjour Jeff,

Je ne peux pas parlais francais tres bien, mais ce n'est pas necessaire de jouer online pour participer au tournement. Seulement payer le frais et tu peux participer. Nous allons mettre en place au website pour ca. Plus d'informations dans les prochaines semaines.

omelette du fromage?

When you arrive, do we fly the mexican or british flag? :)

As long as i'm honoured with a state welcome I won't worry about which flag is flying