Toronto Live Tournament for September 2015

halifax

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll bring a 4 way adapter and I also have a 2on2 cart! NO LAG 2v2...might be more exciting than the tournament itself!

Summit cart with our names in it??!

This picture will have the actual Sabres in it in about 5 years

everyones saying i jinxed it but i'm confident I'm not the first Sabres fan in history to touch it.

Im Back boys! sry but been so busy and crashed my old cpu that had nhl94 n emu in it lol, startin to get the stuff back now! anyone here have Skype or Psn please add me "alonzi401" cant wait till this tourny in sept! its just a drive to downtown toronto for me lol keep me posted on how to sign up for the tourny and anything else i need to know! signed up for spring classic so anyone wanna get some games going add me on skype or psn! cant wait!!! :money:

My ideal format would be to separate players into groups and have the group play triple elimination with x number of qualifiers from that group moving on to the "play downs". The groups would be determined by known skill, in other words, making sure the best online players are not in the same group and fill the groups out accordingly. Those players we don't know anything about will be randomized in groups to fill them out. The "play downs"consisting of double elimination until there's a winner.

I was thinking along the same lines -- have smaller groups that funnel into the main tournament. Could be done with small elimination tournaments or with groups a-la World Cup soccer.

We could maybe use the nhl94 IIHF-style rankings to distribute the known players. Also, after the tournament, we could calculate new ratings, so that'd be cool for off-the-street participants to suddenly have an NHL'94 world ranking. Or I could fudge something up so there are live rankings updates, participants get a card or something with their rating when they are eliminated...

The finals between the champion of each console consisting of an equal number of games on both systems in a total goal format.

This may not work fairly. If one console is easier to score on, then it's not totally fair. Imagine if it's twice as easy to score on Sega as SNES: the Sega guy basically automatically wins. It may need to be goal ratios.... Say the Sega guy's Sega score is 14-8 and his SNES score is 2-7. Total is 16-15 so he wins, but actually he sucked on SNES and both were competitive on Sega. SNES guy should win.

He scored 63.6% of the Sega goals, but only 22.2% of the SNES goals. That adds up to less than 85.8%. SNES guy had the complementary ratios: 36.3% and 77.8%, adds up to 114%

EDIT: I checked the stats from http://nhl94online.com/html/standings.php?lg=15&sublg=GENS-Aand http://nhl94online.com/html/standings.php?lg=15&sublg=SNES-A1 and actually the scores are pretty similar, 4.16 G/GP in SNES and 4.47 G/GP in Sega. So maybe it's fair enough to do total goals...

We got dates? I might actually be able to make this, don't care that I stink, would be great to meet some of you, and get to see the Hockey Hall of Fame, plus the Wife wants to see Niagra falls so she said she could be on board.

Im Back boys! sry but been so busy and crashed my old cpu that had nhl94 n emu in it lol, startin to get the stuff back now! anyone here have Skype or Psn please add me "alonzi401" cant wait till this tourny in sept! its just a drive to downtown toronto for me lol keep me posted on how to sign up for the tourny and anything else i need to know! signed up for spring classic so anyone wanna get some games going add me on skype or psn! cant wait!!! :money:

BRO!

Welcome back!

We got dates? I might actually be able to make this, don't care that I stink, would be great to meet some of you, and get to see the Hockey Hall of Fame, plus the Wife wants to see Niagra falls so she said she could be on board.

Nothing is set in stone...but likely a Saturday in September. There will be a website created specifically for this event which will have all the details. No timeline yet when that will be up and running.

This may not work fairly. If one console is easier to score on, then it's not totally fair. Imagine if it's twice as easy to score on Sega as SNES: the Sega guy basically automatically wins. It may need to be goal ratios.... Say the Sega guy's Sega score is 14-8 and his SNES score is 2-7. Total is 16-15 so he wins, but actually he sucked on SNES and both were competitive on Sega. SNES guy should win.

He scored 63.6% of the Sega goals, but only 22.2% of the SNES goals. That adds up to less than 85.8%. SNES guy had the complementary ratios: 36.3% and 77.8%, adds up to 114%

EDIT: I checked the stats from http://nhl94online.com/html/standings.php?lg=15&sublg=GENS-Aand http://nhl94online.com/html/standings.php?lg=15&sublg=SNES-A1 and actually the scores are pretty similar, 4.16 G/GP in SNES and 4.47 G/GP in Sega. So maybe it's fair enough to do total goals...

I know Mikey and I talked about it (Raph and I as well) on how the final should go. A suggestions was made of playing on the PC version. But I'm pretty sure that version is very much like (if not exactly like) the genesis version. So that would be unfair for an SNES player.

A "best of" format still means that one player gets the extra game on their system, still seems unfair.

I think playing an equal amount of games on each system is the fairest way. In reality, if you want to win the whole thing, you need to practice and be good at both. Some already are (raph, plabax etc.). I thought doing 2 games on each console (4 games total) seemed like a good number. However, Raph made the point of a scenario of one player being up by 10 goals heading into game 4, it would be rather anticlimactic at that point (and even more so from a documentary point of view). I'm always open to any suggestions.

As of now, SOH and I are planning on coming down, altho it's not 100% certain yet. Even if SOH can't, I may still try to come down. We'll see.

(A 2v2 side tournament would be awesome.)

I think he was planning on walking....you should ride along side him with a microphone providing words of encouragement along the way. Make sure that makes it into the documentary. :)

For the final. I think no matter which way you look at it it will look unfair. I propose the system that has the most people sign up for gets "Home team" advantage. example if Gens has 75 players sign up and SNES has 30. The Gens guy has more games to play and more competition. `If we do best out of 7 for the final, we are only taking "If" a game 7 happens. At that level Gens or SNES shouldn't matter, the player should be great at both to win.

Its not Gens vs SNES its about the players, Be ready for both systems if you really want to win the cup ;)

I cant believe he didnt come to Pittsburgh to interview the great SOH!

I think its time to come out of retirement to start tuning up for September boyss

If you are actually serious, Spring Classic is registering now, through Monday.

http://www.nhl94online.com/html/registration.php?lg=25

Please don't sign up unless you earnestly believe you will play. Would be great to have another elite veteran comeback to play Classic (see: HABS, swos, AJ...)

Please don't sign up unless you earnestly believe you will play. Would be great to have another elite veteran comeback to play Classic (see: HABS, swos, AJ...)

THROWS. HAT. IN. THE. RINK.

For the final. I think no matter which way you look at it it will look unfair. I propose the system that has the most people sign up for gets "Home team" advantage. example if Gens has 75 players sign up and SNES has 30. The Gens guy has more games to play and more competition. `If we do best out of 7 for the final, we are only taking "If" a game 7 happens. At that level Gens or SNES shouldn't matter, the player should be great at both to win.

Its not Gens vs SNES its about the players, Be ready for both systems if you really want to win the cup ;)

sounds good bud.

THROWS. HAT. IN. THE. RINK.

ha what does this mean

Same as throws hat in the ring, i'm going to participate :)

After having this discussion with quite a few people about controllers, we're leaning towards allowing people to bring their own controllers provided they are original controllers without turbo option.

post-457-0-48951400-1427313615_thumb.png

post-457-0-93032500-1427313467_thumb.png

post-457-0-36008400-1427313631_thumb.png

post-457-0-23669200-1427313586_thumb.png

I am having a difficult time controlling myself after reading this thread. Between the doc, this tourney and the recent origins article, our game seems like it is set for a bit of a well deserved renaissance. Couple of things:

(1) Thank god Darren is being put in charge of this. Darren should actually be bettman's replacement but don't say that s**t to the league because they will steal him.

(2) For inspiration's sake, has anyone watched through ESPN's coverage of the Tecmo Super Bowl some years back?

(3) @ bringing our own controllers -- yes please

(4) @ bringing multitaps for 2v2 action -- yes please

(5) Has there been any talks about doing it on a Saturday-Sunday? I imagine there'll be ample opportunity for shenanigans, but I'd really like to take in the "culture" of the event over more than a single day if possible.

I'm psyched. I don't know what to do with my body or mind I am just so excited that this is actually coming together.

I have a SNES Everdrive. I can put some SNES modded ROMs on there like juiced if we want to do a side SNES tournament.

I'm hoping I can make it.

you better be there bud.