NHL'94 Forums

Toronto Live Tournament for September 2015

halifax

Some new TVs that are 60Hz/120Hz or whatever, they will have lag if you have the smoothing options enabled (which generates frames to go in between the actual frames). You have to disable that option, or sometimes enable "game mode" which has minimal processing.

I have no input on whether or not upscaling from 480i to the TV's native resolution is an issue or not, I'm not familiar with it. It does make sense that it takes time to scale it up, but I wouldn't have expected it to be more than a frame or two. I guess some TVs are slower.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Every single hdtv I've ever played on has noticeable input delay when playing non hd games on it. Genesis, NES, SNES, N64, PS2, whatever. Even monitors specifically made for gaming have delay cuz they aren't made for sd stuff. CRT master race is real for all old games lol.

Although, we are all used to a little bit of delay from online play. Hopefully it feels like 3 or 4 frame delay, and not the nasty 8 haha.

Anyone know what the Tecmo Madison guys use for TVs?

I believe they had people bring their own tvs....the old 4x3 screens.

When we played in saskatoon and used tvs that probably weren't more than 5 or 6 years old, it worked fine. I didn't notice any lag. No other players seemed to mention anything about it. Angryjay, what did you think bud?

When we played in saskatoon and used tvs that probably weren't more than 5 or 6 years old, it worked fine. I didn't notice any lag. No other players seemed to mention anything about it. Angryjay, what did you think bud?

I know I was a little nervous when I saw modern flatscreens being set up in Saskatoon since the flatscreens at my house weren't able to handle the N64. My concerns were quickly abated during the exhibitions before the tournament as the pictures were crisp and the controls had no noticeable delay. I don't think there should be any issues with the technology being proposed and I would imagine the location has done or will do a little bit of testing just to make sure everything will work as best as possible.

Madison has old Tube TV's.

They are pretty easy to come by, just hauling and storing them is the rough part.

Since all those TVS are already there though. Probably would be best to plug in the console to your own HDTV to get a feel for the lag now.

The guy who won Tecmo Madison this year, did not play on the computer for a month, just the tube tv to get the feel for the difference.

2) There is a high chance we will be holding the event at the bar Real Sports right next to the Air Canada Centre. In one of there sections they have TVs in each booth. There is a total of 14 booths with TV's and much more TV's around to use as well. So depending on the split of SNES/GENS we can have a lot of games at once. The Hall of Fame has some disadvantages and more then likely because of the size of the event we will need our location that we can have all day.

I was under the impression we were doing the majority of the tourney at a bar (such as Real Sports), then the final set of games (maybe 16 or 32 players) at the Hall.

Does your point #2 mean the Hall of Fame is 100% not happening as a location for the final leg of the tourney and we're definitely doing it all at a bar (of which there is a high chance it's Real Sports)?

(I just had trouble deciding what exactly you meant so am asking :). The first time I read it, I thought you just meant Real Sports was the likely location for the qualifying tourney, and the Hall had disadvantages so we can't use it all day -- not ruling out the evening/finals)

In reality, the delay on modern TVs is minimal, maybe 20ms. Considering that a full vertical frame at 60 Hz is 16.67ms, it would be roughly 1 frame, far less than when played online. To "notice" this kind of delay is pretty surprising, since the average human reaction time is 200-250ms, and you should be considered an alien or superhuman.

Chaos, the info I posted suggests otherwise. Worst case was as much as 15 frame delay, the average is 6. I know from my own plasma, which is 4 yrs old, that the N64 lags noticeably. Not to the eyes but you can feel it. It has more to do with the native resolution of the TV upscaling standard def input than the refresh rate. Besides, we all know what lag far less than 200ms feels like. It is detectable.

Edited by Scribe99

If there is any lag, you adjust very quickly. I have played consoles on various plasma/LCD's recently and aside from an initial adjustment from emulator to console (or maybe its the TV?), I find you get adjusted quickly.

I find emulator play to be faster, and sometimes console play can seem slow.

Good info scribe, I passed over that.

Even 4-6 frames is not much of a delay. Normal lag free games played online feature 4 frames of a delay. Again a frame is 16.67ms, so if you can change from hitting the right arrow to hitting the up arrow in less than 64ms, I am impressed. I think most won't be able to tell the difference.

The info states that DLPs are the worse, and trust me, there will be no DLPs there. They are huge, I used to have one. And they fell out of favor a few years ago when LCD took off. The big screen might actually be the most delay free, it might be a 480p projector.

I think the biggest difference will be speed due to playing on console versus an emulator. This is not input lag, this is because most emulators aren't as accurate matching the CPU frequency of the console. There are some modes you can set to have it more accurate, but it will never be exact. It will take some getting used to if you haven't played on a console in a long time.

In reality, the delay on modern TVs is minimal, maybe 20ms. Considering that a full vertical frame at 60 Hz is 16.67ms, it would be roughly 1 frame, far less than when played online. To "notice" this kind of delay is pretty surprising, since the average human reaction time is 200-250ms, and you should be considered an alien or superhuman.

You will definitely start to notice lag when it gets to over 100ms, just like playing online.

But like you mentioned it seems like DLPs are the ones to watch out for, so I wouldn't be worried.

Maybe we can get a good ol' Tranna boy like kg to go test it out?

• 2 weeks later...

I was under the impression we were doing the majority of the tourney at a bar (such as Real Sports), then the final set of games (maybe 16 or 32 players) at the Hall.

Does your point #2 mean the Hall of Fame is 100% not happening as a location for the final leg of the tourney and we're definitely doing it all at a bar (of which there is a high chance it's Real Sports)?

(I just had trouble deciding what exactly you meant so am asking :). The first time I read it, I thought you just meant Real Sports was the likely location for the qualifying tourney, and the Hall had disadvantages so we can't use it all day -- not ruling out the evening/finals)

Just clarified this with Mikey. The tournament will be held at one location and not at the hockey hall of fame. The hall is only available after 5pm and can only house a small amount of systems. While it would've been great to play there, keeping it one location for logistical reasons and for filming as well makes a ton more sense to me. It will still be a ton of fun regardless.

(Title Edited)

• 2 weeks later...
Flight Saskatoon, SK (YXE) to Edmonton, AB (YEG)

Departure: 09:00 PM, Thursday, September 10, 2015

Saskatoon International Airport (YXE)

Arrival: 10:12 PM

Edmonton Intl Arpt (YEG)

Distance: 300 miles

Flight Edmonton, AB (YEG) to Toronto, ON (YYZ)

Departure: 12:35 AM, Friday, September 11, 2015

Edmonton Intl Arpt (YEG)

Arrival: 06:17 AM

Lester B Pearson Intl (YYZ)

Distance: 1670 miles

I booked the flight to T.O, Smoz is picking me up at the airport.

Departure: 09:00 PM, Thursday, September 10, 2015

Saskatoon International Airport (YXE)

Arrival: 10:12 PM

Edmonton Intl Arpt (YEG)

Distance: 300 miles

Departure: 12:35 AM, Friday, September 11, 2015

Edmonton Intl Arpt (YEG)

Arrival: 06:17 AM

Lester B Pearson Intl (YYZ)

Distance: 1670 miles

I'd like to see the price of that ticket bud

I'd like to see the price of that ticket bud

It should show on your next credit card statement bud.

Departure: 09:00 PM, Thursday, September 10, 2015[/size]

Saskatoon International Airport (YXE)[/size]

Arrival: 10:12 PM[/size]

Edmonton Intl Arpt (YEG)[/size]

Distance: 300 miles[/size]

Departure: 12:35 AM, Friday, September 11, 2015[/size]

Edmonton Intl Arpt (YEG)[/size]

Arrival: 06:17 AM[/size]

Lester B Pearson Intl (YYZ)[/size]

Distance: 1670 miles[/size]

Sure bud, I'll pick you up in my VIA train :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys,

So haven't been on here in maybe 10 years... But got email today re this tourney. Since I am in TO I figured I should play!

But I have questions about prize money. Has the prize structure been determined? I'm hesitant to just give some stranger $$$$ and hope for the best. ??

it's a full day of fun and it looks like it includes a tshirt, so I think that was a simple choice, especially seeing as you are already there.

Ok i sign-up today ! For the sega tournament ! Happy to see you there !

awesome bud!

I think you play two games after the finals.

Each on their own system. It gives one a chance to separate himself. Go by goal differential, and if there isn't a difference, then you leave them as co-champs.

Split whatever prize/award/ceremony between the two system's winners, and also, have the "finals" for each system be in front of everyone as you maybe planned the big final originally.

I would be STUNNED if the BEST GENS player or the BEST SNES player would LOSE to a guy who at best would be middle of the pack on the other system, so trying to come up with a winner between the two, might as well play Tecmo Bowl or something, because the "result" really won't be a result worth honoring, imo.

Again, I play Gens, probably at a A- level. I play SNES every now & then, and it's a C- level. But, I see just how different the two games are, and the "top" dogs on each side, are light years ahead of most. A good Gens player cannot beat an elite Gens player. A good SNES player cannot beat an elite SNES player.

So, there will be no good "setup" for that type of finally, again, imo. But, I'm one of the few who play both systems, and I see just how different the games/levels are from each other.

I believe the transition from GENS to SNES is easier than the other way around, so the advantage will go to GENS in a cross-platform series. So much so that I'd be pretty shocked if it's not a GENS guy winning a goal differential series.