NHL'94 Forums

Toronto Live Tournament for September 2015

halifax

I am a decent, probably top 10 or top 5 SNES player right now, but I have a snowball's chance in hell of beating ANY GENS player, regardless of their level. The games are just so different.

But Im not concerned with how the ultimate winner is determined. I really just want to win SNES because that's what the game is to me.

Edited by Bob Kudelski

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A good Gens player cannot beat an elite Gens player.

Someone hasn't been looking at GENS A the past couple of seasons..

EDIT: Unless nobody is elite in classic I guess.

Edited by Premium

It seems obvious to me that there should be a Genesis champion, and an SNES champion, not some weird hybrid. I for one never play SNES and would be horribe on it.

On another note, I live in downtown Toronto, so if people have questions about things like hotels or places to eat, I can provide info. If I were coming from afar to this thing, I would be looking at hostels (http://theplanettraveler.com looks awesome) and airbnb.

planet traveler is way to far outta the way and dirty............best location hostel is Clarence Park on Spadina just south of King

• 2 weeks later...

Agree that there should be 1 Gens and 1 Snes champ. If the winners of each wanted to play each other on each console afterwards for fun, go for it but it shouldn't really mean anything.

The 2 versions of the game play very different and should be treated as such. Most people have played 1 version for a long time, and I don't think it'd make sense to only crown 1 champ.

One system will never be better than the other, just live along side each other like 2 loving siblings :)

The monetary prizes/trophies will be given to each of the consoles winners(top 3 placers on each console will receive something). There will be one ultimate champion. It will be a best of three. One game played on each system. For the third game, we're leaning towards whoever scored most goals combined in the first two games will choose their system for game three.

I personally like the idea of snes champion playing the gens champion. I'm not sure if anything brings out more discussion on this site than GENS vs SNES. The SNES guys will be cheering for the SNES guy to win, same thing with the Genesis players. It's bragging rights (and a trophy as well), and I think it adds something extra special to it all.

I like it! ^^^

I would add that the guy on the unfamiliar system should get to pick the match-up in all three games.

I also believe that their are guys who can win on both systems.

This weekend at the Live event at my house, Angry Jay who had hardly ever played TSB went 0-4 in the prelims and then made the Finals in playoff round against some decent Tecmo talent.

He has skills.

Start practicing on the other system if you want to be "King"

AND

You've got to win your own.

I strongly dislike the idea of two winners that walk away as much as having a single king or queen. also, I don't like the ideas as floated by Halifax and Mac nearly as much as something like heads=CD and tails=PC one-game world championship round. actually, what follows is my current awesome suggestion.

---

if you really are the "King Of NHL '94," you can represent and win on at least two out of the three "off" systems and/or on the other qualifying system. you can qualify as SNES winner? you play Genesis winner in four games and must be first to win twice outside of the one you qualified in and/or be the first to win on the "other" system used for qualifying. system order would be coinflipped in this structure:

1 - nonqualifying system (DOS/Sega CD)

2 - qualifying system (SNES/Genesis)

3 - qualifying system

4 - nonqualifying system

the Genesis player wins if the results, for example, are:

1 - PC DOS - winner qualified as SNES champion
2 - SNES - winner qualified as Genesis champion

in that scenario, neither Sega version is played because the person that qualified as Genesis winner got a win on the other qualifying system. that would be the quickest scenario. most likely it'd be four rounds. the longest playout would be when a fifth round could be needed and would be played on the first used of the two non-qualifying systems. that would be Genesis side's win in this scenario:

1 - PC DOS - SNES champ
2 - Genesis - Genesis champ
3 - SNES - SNES champ
4 - Sega CD - Genesis champ
5 - PC DOS - Genesis champ

in the plan, the Genesis qualifier can't just win a game of Genesis and a game of Sega CD against the SNES qualifier to get the crown. (and the SNES player can't just one SNES and one DOS game.) also, you can just win outright in whichever round the other qualifying system is played.

yes, the vast majority of players care solely about (one of) the major two platforms, but to ignore the others when crowning a "King" would be similarly lame as having two "Kings." the suggestion I have put forth makes sure that the "King" at least qualifies on a major platform and either wins on the "other" major platform against the other champion or wins more games on non-qualifying platforms against/than the other qualifier

the first bolded part comes by necessity of the planned format, but ignoring those later two bolded points is done at the expense of the validity of the awarded title. to forgo a final round between the two champions would be to nearly void all claimed validity of said coronation.

Edited by tru

I'm for whatever way the guy organizing it & paying for it decides.

I assume our little $45 doesn't go very far covering the cost of most of this (~$2700), and given the time put into it as a value as well, then it definitely doesn't.

Again, I doubt ANYONE on these forums is going to be promoting themselves as the "King of 94" because they won this finale between GENS & SNES, UNLESS it's a straight sweep, regardless of systems.

I do imagine both the GENS guy & the SNES guy getting a lot of kudos for the performance if it ends up being someone from our site.

Either way, reminding Mikey of a BIG THANKS on our end.

Tru has some good points and thanks for taking the time to write it out and being passionate on the subject. A lot (I mean a lot) of time has gone into studying and analyzing this game. The DOS is out because it's not really a '94 game. What is NHL Hockey is really a '93 port and NHL '95

on PC is a '94 port. So that mess is its own beast. Sega CD is just a Genisis direct port. Playing with any other versions doesn't work.

There is only two true versions Gens and the most popular port the SNES version. In fact there is more evidence to suggest that the Gens should be the sole console over all other versions (just like the Donkey Kong arcade cabnet vs the MAME). But that's not what the fan base wants. The SNES version was an underdog even at EA from day 1... but the test of time and our sign up stats show it's an equal with the Gens. We will Continue to go around on this subject and there is no answer. Evan has a right way of thinking "it's for fun"

Some people get it and some don't. There is only a few guys that have a chance to even get to the end of their system, not to mention to win. The odds of any person getting to the end is 1.6% if everything is equal (which it is not).

So don't worry so much about it. If you are going to be there, it's going to be amazing, both Factions will have tons and tons of chances to play against top players on their system. Our method to find out who the last one is standing will have slightly better odds then a coin flip and side a little more with Talent, but at the end of the day it's entertainment, just like the game itself. It was made to be enjoyed, I have run into tons of people in my travels who believe it or not hate NHL '94. Those people are not on these forms, they don't see the enjoyment and they move on.

This event is just like that if you don't see the enjoyment of it, Move on to something better.

Bottom line it's going to be fun and lot of wicked people are making a lot of sacrifices to be there. I myself have dedicated a huge amount of resources, time and cash to get this done, I have no chance to win ether the system or the event. But that doesn't stop me and it doesn't stop people from coming to the event and if you wait long enough you can hopefully watch the film on Netflix for free and have zero investment interest in it lol! But all in all, I have had so much support from you guys and from the bottom of my heart THANK YOU!

Top players have been emailing me directly (mikeymcbryan@gmail.com) with thoughts and suggestions. I encourage it! But it's time to move forward and start putting our asses on the line because September is coming quick!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

The monetary prizes/trophies will be given to each of the consoles winners(top 3 placers on each console will receive something). There will be one ultimate champion. It will be a best of three. One game played on each system. For the third game, we're leaning towards whoever scored most goals combined in the first two games will choose their system for game three.

Mikey and I talked a bit more about this. We're now leaning towards playing one game on each system. If both players split the first two games, then the final will be one goal take all. The player who has scored more during the first two games will have choice of console for the final "game".

We think this evens out even more (at risk of a serious blow out for game 3). There's no prize money at stake since it will be awarded to those on their respective systems. It's putting a game 7 overtime right in the hands of both players which we think will be exciting for the final (and for film).

Hey Mikey,

Can we get a camera feed of the players in the final games as well as a feed of the actual game up on big screens? I'm just kidding because that would be super distracting to the players (though awesome for everyone else!) but I'm sure we'll have plenty of action video of all of us playing. On a more serious note, is someone going to be video-recording any of the games? Since these will be played on the actual consoles, we can't just check the record checkbox and save the game. I know we're going to be logging them somehow. How many video cameras are you expecting to have at the event (that aren't smart phones)?

Thanks,

-Evan

On a more serious note, is someone going to be video-recording any of the games? Since these will be played on the actual consoles, we can't just check the record checkbox and save the game. I know we're going to be logging them somehow. How many video cameras are you expecting to have at the event (that aren't smart phones)?

We will have two main camera's, one or two DSLR's and some go pros. The final games will get full coverage. if we get full sign up we are looking at 400 games so only the high end ones will get coverage. I encourage people to bring there own camera to film games as well and if something interesting happens they can get an IMDB Camara credit and ill buy some beer lol!

Sounds great Mikey. I hope we get some really animated coaches (imagine if Hokkeefan makes it).

This is the greatest thing ever. Mikey has quickly become one of my favorite human beings. I may not be able to attend because of work, but I will be there in spirit, or I'll send a body double if I can afford it.

Don't have a lot of time to help out as I did in the past, but I'm looking forward to watching everything. In the future if you ever need a hand, or bail money, or a gun runner, or whatever; I'll be there.

This is the greatest thing ever. Mikey has quickly become one of my favorite human beings. I may not be able to attend because of work, but I will be there in spirit, or I'll send a body double if I can afford it.

Don't have a lot of time to help out as I did in the past, but I'm looking forward to watching everything. In the future if you ever need a hand, or bail money, or a gun runner, or whatever; I'll be there.

Bud. Whatever it takes to get you there. Let me know where you work. I'll talk to your boss. I'll reason with them. Theyll like me doggoneit because I'm good enough and I'm smart enough.

You gotta come, it's a once-in-a-life-time event until we do it again next year

Thanks bud!

Jesus, you gotta be there, man!!!

Mikey has come up with the amounts for prize money for each console.

1st place - $1,094

2nd place - $394

3rd place - $194

Smozoma says he wants to be paid in canadian tire money.

Mikey has come up with the amounts for prize money for each console.

1st place - $1,094

2nd place - $394

3rd place - $194

Smozoma says he wants to be paid in canadian tire money.

I need that BB gun damnit

also.. A) wow good prizes, and B ) why the strange amounts?

A) wow good prizes, and B ) why the strange amounts?

A) most def!

B ) $1000, $300, $100 just didn't seem right and needed that extra '94 feel to it. ;)

Hey guys, I just heard about this tournament. What a brilliant idea!! Glad to see a live tournament finally getting off the ground. I'll definitely drop in to watch and drain some brew. Good luck boys!!

Hey guys, I just heard about this tournament. What a brilliant idea!! Glad to see a live tournament finally getting off the ground. I'll definitely drop in to watch and drain some brew. Good luck boys!!

Louie....you should play bud.....you don't want to watch...you want to be a part of it!

• 2 weeks later...