NHL'94 Forums

Toronto Live Tournament for September 2015

halifax

We're making some amendments to the format which we think will give it a better chance of seeing the best players in the final 16 (and the best players finishing at the top of the tournament).

Instead of 8 groups of 8, it will be 4 groups of 16 with the top 4 from each group advancing.

In addition, we wanted to give incentive to finish at the top of the group, so if you finish 1st (0 losses) or 2nd (1 loss), you'll receive a bye in the final 16.

If you finish 3rd or 4th you'll go straight to the first loser bracket.

The final 16 will be triple elimination(instead of double elimination) with the amendment noted above.

To simplify it.

Do I still get three games? yes

Lose three times in round one and I'm out? yes

I'm in a group of 16 instead of 8? yes

How can qualify for the final 16? Finish in the top 4 in your group

Is the final 16 still two losses and I'm out? yes, with an exception, if you finish 1st or 2nd in your opening round group, you have to lose three times in the final 16 to be eliminated.

This was an idea proposed by smozoma once we realized we were actually going to sell out the tournament (only 8 spots left as I write this with 4 weeks to go.) I thought it was a great suggestion. We hope you will as well.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So 3rd and 4th in each group of 16 go to the loser bracket and have no chance of winning the tournament is that correct?

Define what you mean by 'no chance' since that doesn't make any sense.

No chance = cannot win / finish 1st in the tournament.

But I think, based on your answer, that the "loser bracket" is just another bracket and anyone going into that bracket still has a chance to get to the finals and finish 1st.

Here's the 16 player triple elim bracket:

post-253-0-27566200-1439904944_thumb.png

In the morning and afternoon qualifying tournaments, the top 4 players are determined by playing up to games 37, 41, and 40.

Then, in the Final 16, the winners of games 37 and 41 are automatically moved games 13-16, while the loser of game 41 and the winner of game 40 go to games 9-12.

It might be nice to play games 1-8, but it saves some time to skip them... Currently we've got 9.75 hours of gaming, ~420 games across both systems..

This is awesome guys. Great job of putting tons of thought into it and coming up w/ a great format.

With the exception of a few whispers, the NHL94 community is really stoked to have the chance to get face to face video ice time in!

Every time I see a tourney sheet, I get brought back to the days when the game first came out & my brothers & friends doing drafts for teams, and banging out a double elimination.

FYI, be fair warned. Online, all these garbage goals, pausing, unpausing, pass shotting UBER aggrevating things done to Brutus will result in some good old fashion nut shots! I'm curious to see how Mr. Ref is going to handle that one :)

Look into about 7 minutes to see him get tapped out by Gracie, but at about 6 minutes, looks like this dude is about to try to eat Gracie's nuts!!!

LOL

Edited by Brutus

Look into about 7 minutes to see him get tapped out by Gracie, but at about 6 minutes, looks like this dude is about to try to eat Gracie's nuts!!! LOL

The olde classic hiding with the nuts defense

Here's a good Gracie KO before we get to Gracie taking down the Mad Nutter.GOTTA GET A PAIR OF THOSE UNDIES!!!

That's Royce's brother (and all around cool guy) Renzo Grazie with the legendary upkick (that the Pride FC announcers mentioned every single time he fought or someone tried it, or someone *should* have tried it, but this is actually the first time I've seen it!) :D

I exi'd last night with Seth and it was a HUGE difference for Classic mode not being being able to EDIT lines quickly after a penalty.

Both for and against. The CPU subs in a guy sometimes on penalties rather than using the starters for forards, and it could be a number of the bench (NHL94 doesn't show names in game), and you don't know who it is, because we are playing teams often your opponent picked. And if a defender gets the penalty, it's always going to sub in someone off the bench, but often, it is not the next best defender that is set to come in.

So, unless I go take extra time pre-game to set all the lines to prevent this from happening, I run the risk of being on the penalty and at an extra dis-advantage, and in the case of the defense, I don't think I can set it in game to bring in the defender I WANT for either defender that might get a penalty.

ALSO, rules don't state in the event of INJURY I can sub for that player (although despite NOT being in the RULES, I couldn't get Seth to stop from using his line editor in this moment!!)

ANYHOW, TO ME, it felt like a MAJOR change in how I play/use a Classic team to not be able to control who I have on the penalty &&& not being able to sub after a string of goals.

However, I get how the game played faster. To me, I think you should be able to edit lines for 10 seconds if a penalty is called or a goal is scored. It's part of adjustments, and 10 seconds here or there should not change the flow of a game's total time.

there's only a few guys that take exorbitant amount of time changing lines. I think tho you can get screwed like St Louis if a F gets a pim they usually sub in Dave Lowry who's NEVER drafted in draft leagues. Imagine trailing by a goal under minute to go and you get a penalty, Now you're stuck trying to tie it up shorthanded and with Dave Lowry as your C.

Could leave it at discretion of ref and opponent when things start to get annoying

And I wont name names, because we all know about Seth. :exciting::exciting: :exciting: :exciting::exciting::exciting::exciting:

If you put your weakest forward at RW, you have to play with him all game, no?

Or are you talking about taking the extra time pre-game to go in and edit all the extra lines to try to setup who comes in where in the event of penalties?

I know when we played w/ line changes on in leagues, exi'ing w/ the pre-season ROM's before LINEs were set was almost not done because it takes like 5 minutes a guy to set up 4 lines deep.

What the hell are you guys talking about? Where does it say you can't change lines on a penalty?

Vets will take 10 seconds to change lines. Newbs should be given some flexibility...maybe they don't know EVERY player and need a minute to sub a guy in after an injury. This would only apply to newbs who would even THINK to edit lines. Most won't.

Anyway, I'd disagree on any line changes rule that prevents you from changing lines after a stoppage. It's never really a problem. And if Seth is changing lines 100x, then you should be happy you're likely beating him.

If you put your weakest forward at RW, you have to play with him all game, no?

Or are you talking about taking the extra time pre-game to go in and edit all the extra lines to try to setup who comes in where in the event of penalties?

I know when we played w/ line changes on in leagues, exi'ing w/ the pre-season ROM's before LINEs were set was almost not done because it takes like 5 minutes a guy to set up 4 lines deep.

Whoops, I meant, the weakest of your top 3. The guy you will miss the least on the PK. I'd put him on the RW, especially if he's heavy.

You can't edit the other lines, the game will be set to no line changes, it only shows you the NLC line.

What the hell are you guys talking about? Where does it say you can't change lines on a penalty?

It's in the email that came out, only changes at the start of the game, between periods, and for injuries, are listed as allowed

It's in the email that came out, only changes at the start of the game, between periods, and for injuries, are listed as allowed

Ah...just read it. Still think it's wack. I agree with Ice. Even if you put your worst player at RW, if your C or LW gets a penalty, whatever the 1st line C or LW will come in as a sub, which you can't control. Modano goes out, in comes Ulf Dahlen at C. Bye Doug Gilmour, hello Mike Krushelski. I just don't understand why this is a rule. Just for guys like Seth?

It is what it is...I'm fine playing through it anyway. Just hope it doesn't come down to that scenario in the finals.

Sort of happend with me an AJ in CT last weekend. LA got like 3-4 penalties in the 3rd.

If you're allowed to use your timeout during a stoppage maybe that's time to allow for a change?

I still think ref should manage it based on time the game has been taking and if person is making unusual number of changes. Guys like Seth need to know their incessant changes will not be allowed due to time constraints

Just like you allow any goal to go in, because it's the way the game has been played, so has everyone done line changes during injuries and penalties.

I don't think the refs should have too many rules or "judgement" calls to be making.

But, you should be able to edit your lines as long as you keep it under 10 seconds.

You think it's just me, you all edit lines hehe. In a tournament this big, with everyone coming from all over and spending all this time and money, we should have some say as to what the rules are. But after this rant, I'll stop complaining.

If Ray Bourque or Sweeney get a penalty, you don't get to put in Wesley or Murphy.......instead enjoy David Shaw and Gordie Roberts (both rated 48). Same thing with Toronto, Krushelinski came in for Gilmour penalties. Savard or Phousse get penalties, Gilbert Dionne is your guy whether you like it or not. Meanwhile, Lebeau, Bellows, Leeman etc are riding the pine. You get the picture. This is a major factor and could easily decide games won/lost. It just makes penalties (which are luck to begin with) even more damaging.

Although I do understand the need to keep things moving, I think this rule is really harsh. Some sort of allowance (be it time, or # of changes per game) would have been much more reasonable IMO. So when your star players take pims, you may know who they put in, you may not. These auto-sub players are players that most of us have never used in the 20+ years of the game.

Don't be surprised if guys ice the f**k out of the puck on the PK, or play keep-away in those instances. Better than trying to break it out or defend with auto-sub scrubs.

OK that's all.

Edited by Uncle Seth

it's really not that big of a deal imo.

people aren't going to be abusing this

I know it's for money, but those avg joes aren't going to really be expecting to win this thing

and nobody other than seth abuses line changes, and even tho he abuses he's very quick about doing it so it's no big deal

I agree Some rule like 2/3x's a game you can do line changes.

It's just really hard to get in a flow of a hand when your opponent is constantly changing his lineup Not to mention time restraints to pull this tourney off in one day