NHL'94 Forums

Toronto Live Tournament for September 2015

halifax

(1) Thank god Darren is being put in charge of this. Darren should actually be bettman's replacement but don't say that s**t to the league because they will steal him.

who is Darren? ;)

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So how does one sign up for this tournament?

Mikey's is having a website site built. Not sure when it will be done, but I'm sure he'll let us know when it is. From that point there will be more info on when you can register. It'll be done online. so just check in on this thread everyone once in a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Excluding Airfare.

What's a weekend in Toronto cost? Hows the exchange rate?

Thinking about going, but need to get my keith tkachuk's in a row....

Excluding Airfare.

What's a weekend in Toronto cost? Hows the exchange rate?

Thinking about going, but need to get my keith tkachuk's in a row....

Hotels are probably up to CA$150/night?

Exchange rate is around 0.80 / 1.25 right now.

Hotels are probably up to CA$150/night?

Exchange rate is around 0.80 / 1.25 right now.

When word gets around about the tournament, every hotel in the city of Toronto will probably be booked and hotel prices will go through the roof for that weekend.

No need to stay right downtown - - just make sure you are close to a subway station - and figure out how to get to Union Station and back.

If you can find enough takers, you could probably find a nice suite or two and split the cost several ways. Would be cheaper than single rooms.

No need to stay right downtown - - just make sure you are close to a subway station - and figure out how to get to Union Station and back.

that's what i would probably do if i wanna come. except i wouldnt need to get to Union Station, just find the closest station near the HHoF

that's what i would probably do if i wanna come. except i wouldnt need to get to Union Station, just find the closest station near the HHoF

Union or King station would both work, and are similar walking distance to the Hall.

Turbo doesn't matter in NHL'94 unless you had a turbo C button that you could program. Which would still be stupid. I have a turbo controller and the only thing it does is prevent me from using manual goalie.

Maybe there is a glitch I don't know about.

Also, I think the tournament should be NHL94.com agnostic. My opinion. This is where the best players most likely will come from, but some talk about a mythical player that might exist in the real world. That person shouldn't be handicapped against. This is a live tournament not an online one.

Edited by kylewat

The Saskatoon event, if I remember, was single-games, but you had to lose 3 times to be out of the tournament. The teams were selected by one player, and the other player got to pick which team to play with.

Best of 5 would just take foreveeeer (an hour for a 5 game series)

I don't know how many setups there will be. If there were 75 players and 8 setups you need at most 74 times 50 min. We'll say an hour. That is 74 hours. The entire tournament would take 9.25 hours.

I don't know about everyone else, but if I'm traveling to Toronto I have no problem with the thing starting at like 7 AM and going to 5 PM.

Edited by kylewat

Ok if you do the three losses thing. 74 people have to lose 3 times to be out; so it'll be somewhere around 12 1/3 total hours of play time. Make it 15 minute matches and If you have 8 consoles the thing'll be over in just a couple hours (2.3125). That is a great format for a casual night time tournament, but for something people are traveling too it seems a little short and way too open to luck.

You could only have 2 consoles going but that is really boring.

If I were running this thing, I would contact these guys.

http://www.tecmomadison.com/Rules

Tecmo XI - "Apocalipps Now" includes both Group Play and Bracket Play. Group Play will consist of various 8-man double-elimination pools. Only the Group Winners and Group Runners-Up of each double-elimination pool will advance to Bracket Play. The initial rounds of Bracket Play will be single-elimination. Time-permitting, we again intend to re-introduce double-elimination at some point. Last year, we introduced it in the Elite 8 round. Bracket Play will be played out until only the Tecmo X Champion remains.

In order to speed things up in Group Play, the participant advancing from the winner's side will not play the participant that ultimately advances from the loser’s side. The former will simply be declared the Group Winner (he will be 3-0) while the latter will be declared the Group Runner-Up (he will be either 3-1 or 4-1). Group Winners will be seeded higher for Bracket Play than Group Runners-Up. Within each of the four regions, Group Winners will be seeded according to point differential (they will all be 3-0) while Group Runners-Up will be seeded by point differential per game.

This tournament can accommodate up to 256 competitors. Group Play should take just over 5 hours. Another 4-5 hours will be needed to complete Bracket Play. We reserve the right to expand the field, shrink the field, and/or change the format if demand so necessitates.

The biggest question is obviously how many entries and setups there will be. Using the same postulates, I just think for the number of contestants thrown out there (75), the format suggested is going to be over very quickly. It isn't hard to figure out how long these things will take.

I implore those involved with setting up the tournament to try to make the thing last a full day. I think having to go take a lunch break come back, relax, getting up early, trying to get others too drunk to show up at the bar, etc. will be fun.

I think most people are overestimating how long this stuff will take. I know you can get people to bring systems. I don't know how much it costs to rent a TV for the day but I can't imagine it is too much. I've been dismissed for proposing both 10 min period games and a best of 5 format. Why I'm not quite sure, I don't understand the logic behind the shorter format. The thing'll be done in a quick afternoon.

As for the Tecmo Bowl solution listed above, the group play using a double elimination tournament will take 3.5 for a group hours of playing time using 15 min per game. I think the initial scheduling for that will be difficult, but doable. There is obviously a lot of dead time because a game takes about 10 min, but you need to be able to accomodate OT etc. I don't quite understand what happens after that.

The bracket play single elimination part. I just don't quite understand the format well enough to figure out what happens in the bracket round. If it was a single elimation tournament for the bracket round, using 75 players you'd have between 9 and 10 groups. So you'd have so 20 people in the bracket round. If you had a single elimination tournament you'd need 19 losses so 285 min or another 4.75 hours.

In the end the problem with this format is that there is so much dead time. A game takes ~10 min.

If I play a best of 3 series we can get that done in between 20 and 30 min. If we have 8 people who are going to play 2, then 2 then 2 then 2 we need to provide a larger buffer to provide logistics of getting a new player to the seat etc. I'd say a best of 5 can be done certainly on average in less than an hour so you'll have plenty of time left over. Especially because a sweep might happen. A single elimination creates that inefficiency, as changing seats every time will really end up creating a big inefficiency.

I thought of one change to my best of 5 example. At the end only one person can play at a time. It'll take about 7 rounds to crown a champion. The first 3 rounds all take longer than an hour, so in reality it would take closer to 12 hours in a worst case scenario than 9 because someone can't be in two places at the same time. This is using worst case scheduling for the opening rounds and discounting any sweeps. In reality, a priority system of "next up" would greatly shorten that because some series will be done in 3 games. Anyway, there could be multiple options if different amounts of people show up, but I for one think the thing should start early. Also I want the least amount of luck involved.

Tirade Over.

PS Can someone tell me how long a TECMO Superbowl game takes?

Edited by kylewat

I can't see a tournament ever being a "playoff" format w/ a best of series.

A tournament almost by default is a single game, winner advance, loser go home setup.

They do have double & triple elimination tourneys as well, so I could see using that.

Soccer obviously uses a Round Robin format to setup the World cup prior to starting the "tournament" part of the run. Maybe something along that line with groupings similar to the Tecmo bowl setup might not be a bad idea and then a smaller tournament at the end of the "qualified".

That way, everyone gets 3 games in their "group", doing our best to separate those online we KNOW of certain talent from being in the same "group".

Something similar to soccer as I'm typing does make the most sense with an end tourney coming that afternoon, "group play" in the morning.

It's more than a bit longer -- pretty sure a Tecmo game is around 19-20 mins. GENS games tend to be 11-12 minutes...never 10.

True, I should have defined a bit longer better.

I would say you are right on with these times.

Also both games can take much longer if people tinker with Playbooks, Lines, Player condition etc...

That way, everyone gets 3 games

Yes.

I find if you are allowed to wail on your opponents nutsack for taking too long on their line edits and subs, that while it can lengthen the game during that one delay, usually tends to speed up the overall pace of the game :)

I have played in the tecmo tournaments and have run over a dozen NHL 95 tourneys.

Tecmo games are longer than NHL games with 5 min periods. We did a tourney with both one time and the tecmo games dragged compared to NHL.

The Tecmo Madison guys tourneys are run with German efficiency. They have a whole team of people that all they do is log scores/ monitor team use and match up calling and keep things moving. The pool play is the way to is you get 75 people. Each Pod had 8 player to a certain TV. Tecmo Madison seeds the pools before the game and they make sure to keep the ringers out of the same group. It makes for an intense atmosphere as every game is a big one. Very Fun. Then they seed by pt diff for the rnd of 64 which is single elim until you get to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8, then goes to Double Elim.

When we do our segathon tourneys they get LOOONG. We have 12-24 people and have a full reg season (6-8 games) and then everyone makes playoffs for a double elim. It's a blast but gets long, especially later in the night when people are waiting on other people. Plus we drink too much. We have a "Captain" in each division that monitors games and makes sure people get to open machines.

Also have to look at your tourney players, you have hard core guys here, but you will have probably more local players at this one that "remember the game as a kid" and don't want to play 8 games where they get nuked.

Really hoping to bring a contingent of segathon guys there, we'll get smoked playing 94 but they truely a blast to play these game with a group of like minded dorks.

The Tecmo Madison guys tourneys are run with German efficiency.

:)

Exactly, why I would contact them and get their advice.

11 years, 256 competitors, NFL Films documentary AND a game that takes a bit :red_heart: longer to complete makes it all the more impressive.

JJ, I think you gotta imagine it like in "The Color of Money" where the real $$$ is going to be in the back rooms :)

Also, the majority of guys traveling a long way probably are planning on WINNING their 3 games, which changes the amount of games you'd play.

I don't think you could guarantee a large crowd more than 3 games.

But again, I'm not in charge, and I'm probably bringing a portable, light TV if I make it just to have an easy setup for games say Friday night/Sunday, etc. I can't be alone in this thought process. I plan on playing 3 games an hour all weekend!

More games would be better. I would say at least 6-8 games per player guaranteed. I wouldn't make the long trip for 3 games.

Consider looking at it differently like I am (3+ hour flight for me). I get to hang out some people I've known for a long time but never met, play some 94 and visit the hockey hall of fame. Turn it into a getaway weekend with playing 94 on the side. It's not like we're going to send anyone packing because they lost their first three. They can chill and hang out for the day.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. I'm not going to dip into the format since, as I mentioned earlier, there's a preference for it but until we know how many stations can be setup, and how many people will be there, we wont really know for certain what it will look like.

I actually reached out to Josh, one of Tecmo Madison's creators, several weeks ago. He's been very helpful in answering questions. Having said that, I'm not sure why I didn't think to reach out to Segathon, he's the bud who's the best of both worlds (participating in large video game tournament and organizing his own tournaments). Okay if I pick your brain on occasion bud?

But I will say that it will be a smooth running tournament, I guarantee!