NHL'94 Forums

Glitch (MD): Changing the EA Sports Splash Screen pixelates Ron Barr's commentary screen.

Contrary to what the title says, I am actually referring to the Thirty Team ROM, when I discuss this glitch.

I do not think that this happens when hacking the original NHL '94 ROM, but if it does, then I will edit this post accordingly, where applicable.

So I had gone out of my way to begin changing the Splash Screens that show up before the title screen.

They display as they are normally supposed to, and they do not seem to trigger any glitches in both menus and gameplay.

However, changing the EA Sports Splash Screen has resulted in what the footage from the below video presents.

Apparently, what I am assuming is happening is that, by changing the EA Sports Splash Screen, as well as its palette, it causes a glitch in the way that Player Cards are presented on Ron Barr's commentary screen, and apparently flood the screen with a massive amount of pixelation, although the sprites for Ron Barr and the Player Cards actually do remain intact, if you mess with the A and C buttons enough to explore the glitch.

In the event that any of you are able to help out in understanding why this glitch happens, and/or how I would go about in fixing this, then any assistance is well appreciated.

This glitch only happens on my most recent revision copy of MIAA Women's Hockey 20I5: Rise of the North Shore Demo; no other copy before this one has it, as they do not have a modified Splash Screen or Splash Screen Palette, and I do not want this to be present when I do release the Alpha Version/Demo.

With that said, deliver your insight.

I truly am ample curious about this.

This should not happen, people have changed that logo before without issue. I assume you must have accidentally edited the wrong palette location (which could mean you overwrote some game code). Did you set the palette location, or just edit whatever happened to be there? You have to actually specify the palette location.

Editing tip:

Alllllwaayyys keep backups of your progress, because eventually you will mess something up and not be able to fix it.

Contrary to what the title says, I am actually referring to the Thirty Team ROM, when I discuss this glitch.

I do not think that this happens when hacking the original NHL '94 ROM, but if it does, then I will edit this post accordingly, where applicable.

So I had gone out of my way to begin changing the Splash Screens that show up before the title screen.

They display as they are normally supposed to, and they do not seem to trigger any glitches in both menus and gameplay.

However, changing the EA Sports Splash Screen has resulted in what the footage from the below video presents.

Apparently, what I am assuming is happening is that, by changing the EA Sports Splash Screen, as well as its palette, it causes a glitch in the way that Player Cards are presented on Ron Barr's commentary screen, and apparently flood the screen with a massive amount of pixelation, although the sprites for Ron Barr and the Player Cards actually do remain intact, if you mess with the A and C buttons enough to explore the glitch.

In the event that any of you are able to help out in understanding why this glitch happens, and/or how I would go about in fixing this, then any assistance is well appreciated.

This glitch only happens on my most recent revision copy of MIAA Women's Hockey 20I5: Rise of the North Shore Demo; no other copy before this one has it, as they do not have a modified Splash Screen or Splash Screen Palette, and I do not want this to be present when I do release the Alpha Version/Demo.

With that said, deliver your insight.

I truly am ample curious about this.

You may have accidently touched something in tile molester without realizing it. It's very sensitive and one wrong move will f the game up. My suggestion is when editing, always keep the icon with the magnifying glass clicked. If you have the icon that looks like a square clicked, and you click a certain area by mistake with it, it will screw up the entire rom. Even if you just TOUCH it without moving it or changing it, it will mess up the rom. So only click that box if you need to copy something from another rom. If you are importing a picture into the rom, place the picture where it needs to go, and use the magnifying glass icon. Click it once, and the picture will automatically import itself into the rom without any risk of damage. It's much safer than using the square icon. The splash screen, for example, is 32 x 28 I believe. So just make it 32 x 30, import the picture into the right area, and click the magnifying glass outside that area. The picture will import safely that way.

As for that rom, unfortunately it is no longer any good. You'll have to transfer your work to a fresh rom. I've had to do it many times lol. Like Smozoma said, use backups. I save tons of backups now after wasting so much time ruining roms by making stupid little mistakes. It's a waste of time haha. But that's how you learn. If you did any roster work, just use NOSE and copy/paste to a fresh rom to save some time.

I assume you must have accidentally edited the wrong palette location (which could mean you overwrote some game code). Did you set the palette location, or just edit whatever happened to be there? You have to actually specify the palette location.

The most recent copy, Copy 0I6b, might have gotten the problem when I had changed parts of the palettes in HivePal.

What I had done was that, as I was looking for the palette to change, I had found two coordinates above 0FFAEA (Starting Point 0F5CE2 and Starting Point 0F5FC8, respectively), and both of these had oddly enough shared the same "American Flag" palette that the EA Sports Splash Screen had used; the actual Starting Point for the Thirty Team ROM's EA Sports Splash Screen when using HivePal is 1086EA, and I presume that changing the palettes from 0F5CE2 and 0F5FC8 were the reason that the ROM had gotten corrupt, as I have successfully imported my Splash Screen in Tile Molester Version 00.18a on plentiful other backup copies with the original "American Flag" palette still intact, and the ROM never had this happen to me.

I probably might have solved my own problem by saying that, but if there seems to be other factors at hand here with this, then I would be more than glad to provide the corrupted copy privately, in case there is anything else that you could point out about this factor.

If you want me to do so, then I will provide three copies: One where the Splash Screen is still the EA Sports image (Copy 0I5), one where that has been changed to my Splash Screen but the "American Flag" palette remains unchanged (Copy 0I6a), and the corrupt ROM that has the modified palette, but also the changes that were done at 0F5CE2 and 0F5FC8 in HivePal (Copy 0I6b); the most stable of the three is Copy 0I5, and later revisions will be built from that one, given the problems with Copy 0I6b that have been mentioned.

The splash screen, for example, is 32 x 28 I believe. So just make it 32 x 30, import the picture into the right area, and click the magnifying glass outside that area. The picture will import safely that way.

As for that rom, unfortunately it is no longer any good. You'll have to transfer your work to a fresh rom. I've had to do it many times lol. Like Smozoma said, use backups. I save tons of backups now after wasting so much time ruining roms by making stupid little mistakes. It's a waste of time haha. But that's how you learn. If you did any roster work, just use NOSE and copy/paste to a fresh rom to save some time.

Tile Molester Version 00.18a has any Splash Screen that is at 0320 x 0224 in emulation set to 040 x 028 tiles.

The method that I am using for palette importing is that I set the image into Colour Palette FX (http://www.palettefx.com) to know what colours need to be put into TM, so that the photo goes in with little to no colour loss; that palette gets saved in another set, so that I do not have any problems with the colours for other screens and sprites.

From there, I would then go into HivePal and import the colours that I had just put into TM, all the while attempting to find the correct hex address to assure that I am putting everything into the proper sections that they are supposed to be in.

As mentioned in my above reply to Smoz, I think that the reason that the ROM had become corrupt was probably because of the fact that I had changed the palettes in Copy 0I6b that were at 0F5CE2 and 0F5FC8, but I will keep your advice mentioned above in mind for later reference; you have provided some worthwhile key points that require good attention to remember, as those can be overlooked at rare times by even the best of developers, so I am glad that you had brought them up. (:

Edited by Royameadow

The most recent copy, Copy 0I6b, might have gotten the problem when I had changed parts of the palettes in HivePal.

What I had done was that, as I was looking for the palette to change, I had found two coordinates above 0FFAEA (Starting Point 0F5CE2 and Starting Point 0F5FC8, respectively), and both of these had oddly enough shared the same "American Flag" palette that the EA Sports Splash Screen had used; the actual Starting Point for the Thirty Team ROM's EA Sports Splash Screen when using HivePal is 1086EA, and I presume that changing the palettes from 0F5CE2 and 0F5FC8 were the reason that the ROM had gotten corrupt, as I have successfully imported my Splash Screen in Tile Molester Version 00.18a on plentiful other backup copies with the original "American Flag" palette still intact, and the ROM never had this happen to me.

I probably might have solved my own problem by saying that, but if there seems to be other factors at hand here with this, then I would be more than glad to provide the corrupted copy privately, in case there is anything else that you could point out about this factor.

If you want me to do so, then I will provide three copies: One where the Splash Screen is still the EA Sports image (Copy 0I5), one where that has been changed to my Splash Screen but the "American Flag" palette remains unchanged (Copy 0I6a), and the corrupt ROM that has the modified palette, but also the changes that were done at 0F5CE2 and 0F5FC8 in HivePal (Copy 0I6b); the most stable of the three is Copy 0I5, and later revisions will be built from that one, given the problems with Copy 0I6b that have been mentioned.

Tile Molester Version 00.18a has any Splash Screen that is at 0320 x 0224 in emulation set to 040 x 028 tiles.T

The method that I am using for palette importing is that I set the image into Colour Palette FX (http://www.palettefx.com) to know what colours need to be put into TM, so that the photo goes in with little to no colour loss; that palette gets saved in another set, so that I do not have any problems with the colours for other screens and sprites.

From there, I would then go into HivePal and import the colours that I had just put into TM, all the while attempting to find the correct hex address to assure that I am putting everything into the proper sections that they are supposed to be in.

As mentioned in my above reply to Smoz, I think that the reason that the ROM had become corrupt was probably because of the fact that I had changed the palettes in Copy 0I6b that were at 0F5CE2 and 0F5FC8, but I will keep your advice mentioned above in mind for later reference; you have provided some worthwhile key points that require good attention to remember, as those can be overlooked at rare times by even the best of developers, so I am glad that you had brought them up. (:

Yeah you're right, it's 40 x 32 for splash screens. I was thinking of the background for the intro screen which is 32 x 28. Ever use the image ditherer? It can help with pictures that have a lot of colors. Here's a link:

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/14421-tool-genesis-image-ditherer-to-16-colours/

Edited by nhlpa93easn

Ever use the image ditherer? It can help with pictures that have a lot of colors.

Yes, I do have the Image Ditherer, but I have found that it is primarily useful for just switching a 0I6 colour photo to Genesis/Megadrive colours (Option 03), given that I use more editing applications than what is currently available here.

I use Irfanview instead; works far faster, for my tastes; to me, it delivers far more accurate palettes to photos as well, but that could be based on the one that uses it, mostly.

The folks at SSRG use Irfanview massively, especially for editing most of the menu and Level Select screens in the more modern Classic Sonic ROM hacks.

Sonic Classic Heroes, Big's Fishing Derby, Painto Edition II, Sonic the Hedgehog 03 Complete Collection, and a few others that do not come to mind at the moment, are prime examples of what modifying an image with Irfanview is capable of doing in a ROM hack; I recommend to give them a look sometime, when you are able to.

I actually created the ditherer because I found Irfanview wasn't good enough :D. It doesn't create images with the valid sega colours (there are only 729), so they look great in irfanview, but when you put them in the ROM, they don't always look right. Sometimes it wastes a palette slot by using 2 colours end up the same in the ROM, etc. (so when I was using irfanview, I'd usually dither to 18 colours then eliminate 2...)

The ditherer gives a lot of badly-coloured images, but there are some really great ones, too. Takes time to find them.

But whatever works for you!

Thought that I would make a follow~up post to the above matter regarding the corrupted ROM copy.

So yeah, I was correct, it was actually the result of me accidentally changing the pallete at the wrong coordinates (0F5CE2 and 0F5FC8) in HivePal, rather than importing a Splash Screen to replace the EA Sports image; the matter has been dealt with and the ROM is once more working normally.

As I work more on MIAA Women's Hockey 20I5, I am currently typing into a document all of the hex addresses for the Starting Point of each of the screens in HivePal, primarily so that newcomers that will be doing palette editing will not have what had happened to me happen to them.

I will make a new thread on that when the proper time comes; truly will be of major benefit in the long run. (: