NHL'94 Forums

How to do the c-b check !?

You press C, then quickly press B. The C press causes the player you're controlling to shoot forward, and the B press causes you to switch off control of this player, to another one of your players. So since you are not controlling the player who's throwing the check anymore, the game thinks that it's one of your computer controlled players who threw the check. Pretty simple so far.

The part that makes it useful is, when your computer teammates (or your opponent's cpu teammates) throw a check, the weight bug doesn't apply. So essentially, you can send one of your own players forward by pressing C then B quickly, and if the player connects with an opposing player, then it's a weight fixed check.

Fatties are useful defensively now! Your light vs their heavy? C check. Your heavy vs their light? CB. Same weights? B check (well you should do this all the time anyway hehe).

C then quickly B. Simple stuff.

C-b check isn't that hard. For the life of me, I can't get the pass-shot to work....

Which kinda pass shot? The straight on forehand/backhand ones (from both far, and close)? Or the one from a diagonal?

• 2 weeks later...

There really is no secret to the straight pass shot. If you are shooting up, hold the directional pad up and press B. That should work, assuming no other players are around to avoid inadvertently passing the puck instead of firing it up.

To make it effective, you need to lineup the puck to the post edges of the net. Again, that's just visual practice.

To make it even more effective, you should deke (similarly to a normal deke move) to get the goalie moving one direction, deke the other way and pass shoot when the puck is lined up.

Best to practice on shootouts and if you're missing the net, watch the replay, take note of where the puck is on the ice (use the circles, or other markers), and adjust on the next shot.

Adapting the pass shot during play is not a teachable skill. Just like I can tell you how to take a slapshot, it's up to you to incorporate that tool into your game and understand when it may be a good idea to attempt one or not.

I find that people who learn the pass shot have a strong tendency early on to OVER use the shot. It's not a surefire way to score and it's not always the best option!

There really is no secret to the straight pass shot. If you are shooting up, hold the directional pad up and press B. That should work, assuming no other players are around to avoid inadvertently passing the puck instead of firing it up.

To make it effective, you need to lineup the puck to the post edges of the net. Again, that's just visual practice.

To make it even more effective, you should deke (similarly to a normal deke move) to get the goalie moving one direction, deke the other way and pass shoot when the puck is lined up.

Best to practice on shootouts and if you're missing the net, watch the replay, take note of where the puck is on the ice (use the circles, or other markers), and adjust on the next shot.

Adapting the pass shot during play is not a teachable skill. Just like I can tell you how to take a slapshot, it's up to you to incorporate that tool into your game and understand when it may be a good idea to attempt one or not.

I find that people who learn the pass shot have a strong tendency early on to OVER use the shot. It's not a surefire way to score and it's not always the best option!

Thanks for your insight as usual! Yeah, it's the deke part that gets me. I've never been able to time it right, and half the time I shoot the puck into the corner. I'd just like to add a few more things to my toolbox, as I'm fairly predictable. Now, if I could setup the one timers at will like you do, I'd really be set!

By straight on, are we talking about when the skater is skating north-south? Or just that the pass is straight on - for example, the skater cuts across and takes a backhand pass shot?

North-South

Skate up/down towards the net, deke one way, deke back the other way, fire it straight up/down towards just inside of the post. Note that if you have a bit of east/west momentum, that will be maintained in the pass-shot -- it won't go 100% straight up/down.

If you could just delete that f&cking sausage, you might start to become a man again enough to start to get it.

You really dislike sausages, don't you? Did you have a bad experience as a child? There is no need to hate sausages, mankind can live in harmony with them (-:

It's the wiggling sausage on top of a Captain Picard that really grabs everyone's attention walking by my office w/ the 42 " monitor I use!!

I'm all for a sausage being grilled, in a bun, chopped in a skillet, but anti sausage parties and sausages on dude's heads.

It's the wiggling sausage on top of a Captain Picard that really grabs everyone's attention walking by my office w/ the 42 " monitor I use!!

I'm all for a sausage being grilled, in a bun, chopped in a skillet, but anti sausage parties and sausages on dude's heads.

If you're worried about getting caught surfing the net at work I'll change it, but you have to ask nicely (-:

It's not the "surfing" that is of concern, but what is popping up on the "surf" :)

That said, now that we've officially trolled this thread, it's easier for me to handle the grief than to be nice, so "sausage" it is.

• 1 month later...

so, hey... this doesn't ever just have the dude charge and then pokecheck? I mean, he's still the closest to the puck, right? so why would it switch off of him? if it always switches, how do you pokecheck? is B-checking somehow something else, too? it seems that way based on reading lots of posts. I'm missing something here.

so, hey... this doesn't ever just have the dude charge and then pokecheck? I mean, he's still the closest to the puck, right? so why would it switch off of him? if it always switches, how do you pokecheck? is B-checking somehow something else, too? it seems that way based on reading lots of posts. I'm missing something here.

B-check and pokecheck are the same thing, people usually use one term or the other. I could never get on board calling it a poke check because what it really is is a trip. Technically (in general in real hockey) a poke check means you poke the puck away with little to no body contact. Too bad trip-check never caught on as a term, as that's what a B-check (poke check) is in 94.

in regards to CB, I'm not sure if I can explain it properly, but I'll try. CB doesn't result in a B-check because you "switch off" controlling the guy you are using at the last second. It's basically a modification of the C-check. You launch at someone like you normally would with a C-check, but immediately after "launching" (pressing C), press the B button (to get control of a different player). Having a big C-launch/boost is important to the check. So there you are, with control of your new player....while the player you just had control of is following through with his speed-bursted C-check (despite no star on him).

Using a regular genesis controller, what you basically do is "let go" of the C-button by releasing the pressure on it (via your thumb) and sliding that thumb quickly to the B-button. For me personally, when I C-check (or CB) the middle of my thumb is where I apply pressure from. During this time my thumb is completely flat.If I decide to C-B a player, I release that pressure from my thumb (and the C button), my thumb joint bends as I use the tip of my thumb to make contact with the B-button. In order to do it my way, throughout the game, my entire thumb is often horizontal (facing 9 o'clock), covering both the B and C buttons.

Maybe this sounds confusing, sorry if that's the case. I know it's probably difficult to read and then visualize.

Edited by Uncle Seth

no, it's not confusing at all. I have trying to replicate it on the SNES version without any luck. every time the dude charges at the possessor and then tries to tripcheck him. I could only pull it off by pressing the switch-to-the-goalie button. so, it may be quite different on the Genesis, but what I don't understand is how you can tripcheck without switching players OR C/B away from the puck. it makes no sucking fence. how do you do one or the other by choice? what is the difference in the actions taken to achieve the disparate results?

edit: yeah, what Mac typed.

Edited by tru

How does it switch?

I thought the switch made you the closest guy to the puck and wouldn't that be the guy already c-checking?

On a side note.

Premium does not use c or c/b checks?

Is that correct?

If you make the switch right after boosting/launching, and aim with D-pad and press B, you will get control over a different player.

No he uses them, just sparingly and more wisely (than nut-jobs like me).

Edited by Uncle Seth

no, it's not confusing at all. I have trying to replicate it on the SNES version without any luck. every time the dude charges at the possessor and then tries to tripcheck him. I could only pull it off by pressing the switch-to-the-goalie button. so, it may be quite different on the Genesis, but what I don't understand is how you can tripcheck without switching players OR C/B away from the puck. it makes no sucking fence. how do you do one or the other by choice? what is the difference in the actions taken to achieve the disparate results?

edit: yeah, what Mac typed.

I have zero experience with SNES man, sorry.

CB is NOT a tripcheck, I think you misunderstood. It's a C-check, but modified so that at the point of contact, you are not controlling that player.

Interesting that you mention CB away from the puck, I recently started CB'ing guys who don't even have the puck, it's hilarious and a boatload of fun. You can CB anyone, they don't HAVE to have the puck but it works more successfully when they do. CB'ing someone who doesn't have the puck....they seem more resistant to it.

Uncle Seth: are you sure you need to press the d pad to get the b to take effect and switch players? I haven't tried it much, but I thought it worked without that.

Tru: I doubt it works on SNES, it's a result of an oddity in the genesis code. It's almost like the weight bug, for controlled players, was intentional. It makes no sense.

right, I get that there is no need in SNES, I was just trying to explore the option, but it doesn't seem to be there. I'm not saying it is a tripcheck, i'm asking how to avoid it being one. I feel like I have framed the question articulately and succinctly, but maybe I have not....

if you C, you charge toward the possessor and then...

if you then press B, how does it decide whether to Bcheck or switch players and allow the Ccheck still?

did that make sense? I think Mac gets my question and even has the same one.

My educated guess on the matter is this, while in a C check animation the game is unable to cut short the animation to initiate a poke check when B is pushed. Instead, when the B button is pushed immediately after a C check it will resort to its other function which is to change player.

If the B button for a poke check is pushed before engaging in a C check, then a poke check will be performed provided that player is the closest one to the puck carrier or the puck since a poke check can be performed on a loose puck.

Uncle Seth: are you sure you need to press the d pad to get the b to take effect and switch players? I haven't tried it much, but I thought it worked without that.

Tru: I doubt it works on SNES, it's a result of an oddity in the genesis code. It's almost like the weight bug, for controlled players, was intentional. It makes no sense.

My mistake. I don't think D-pad is needed. I'll edit. Maybe it's just something I do (weird habit ?).

Edited by Uncle Seth