NHL'94 Forums

Spring'15 GENS Vegas Odds

kingraph

I'm putting this up without trying to be influenced too much by the current standings. Otherwise, at the very least I'd flip AJ any myself.

swos (Dallas): +400 ---- swos has always been considered "sneaky" good. He's not flashy, but very calculated and methodical in his game. Swos is arguably one of the best ever to play, but he has not had much success in Classic. However, swos recently had Modano and Broten on his GDL 11 team, and the addition of Russ will make that a deadly combination. While he may be "practicing" using a gamepad vs keyboard this season, I still think he's the slight odds on favorite to win.

Depch (Montreal): +500 ---- Another Fin! This time the defending Classic champion brings in a versatile team in Montreal, with the best goalie in the business. I always put the defending champion as the favorite, but ultimately couldn't put Depch ahead of swos. Still, Depch knows how to win and I would not be surprised to see him win against any of the other competitors.

kingraph (Boston): +500 ---- Boston as a defensive pairing of Sweeny and Bourque, which suits kingraph's aggressive checking defense. Lots of heavy and light skilled F, kingraph will look to slightly modify his lineup based on his opponents strengths and weaknesses.

TomKabs93 (Winnipeg): +650 ---- Quite a mystery here as TK has not played online in a few years. If his skills return by the end of the season, this line would be moved to a favorite with Winnipeg, but I don't see that happening too quickly. This season has a lot of depth. Superstar Teemu Selanne fits TK's abusive style, and having Housley as an alternative will be scary.

angryjay93 (Pittsburgh): +800 ---- Super-talented veteran AJ has returned to action in the last few months and seems to have his form back. Without a doubt, AJ can mix it up and win vs anybody. Similar to swos in that AJ is "sneaky" good. Very calculated and intelligent play, AJ will adapt during the game to counter his opponents tendencies. Pittsburgh's main issue is their heavy weight, making them susceptible to the lightweight C-checkers, but otherwise they are loaded with skills. Mastering CB will only increase their defensive strength. Is this a value bet? (I'm not using current standings!)

canadiensfan66 (Los Angeles): +800 ---- Another OG veteran makes his classic return and also looks to have regained his old form. HABS was always a great Classic competitor, and with the LA Kings he will be tough to beat. HABS set the single season GDL record of Assists with Wayne Gretzky (170...next closest is 116). With Robitaille, Sandstrom and Carson, there is an abundance of snipers to feed. Granato provides speed, and HABS is also a crafty pass-shooter. Solid GC play will minimize any negative effect with Hrudey. HABS rounds out my favorites list.

Vocally Caged (Toronto): +1350 ---- While not a pure longshot, Vocally Caged will have to play extremely well to get ahead of the first 6 guys above him here. VC is certainly capable of giving everyone a run for their money when he's on, and Doug Gilmour can be the perfect 2 way player. Nobody will want to face VC in the early rounds of the playoffs.

hokkeefan2 (Calgary): +1500 ---- While hokkeefan may be known for his drunken tirades and yelling at people to play their games, he's actually a very skilled '94 player (when sober). Hokkee can fire the puck from everywhere and Calgary has the right firepower to put some points on the board. Similarly to VC, hokkee can play with the best of them, but will require a focused effort to make it deep into the playoffs. Another scary 1st round opponent, I'm sure hokkee makes it into the playoffs.

zeppelin55 (Buffalo): +1800 ---- The defending "B" champions moves up to the A league this season to challenge the best. Zeppelin has a very straightforward style of play that can be effective if you're not careful. Buffalo provides him with superstar Alexander Mogilny, along with a great support cast of Hawerchuck and Laffy. Fuhr will prevent some easy goals, which may help if Zeppelin is not manual goalie 100% of the time. Zeppelin has been playing well and I can see him making the playoffs to make a run for the title.

smozoma (Quebec): +2200 ---- Smozoma - one of the "Mount Rushmore" figures in the '94 community - is also a highly skilled '94 player making his return from a sabbatical (nobody ever truly leaves, haha). Smoz must shake off some rust and get back into playing shape to make the playoffs. The top 8 make it, and the competition at this level will be fierce. Quebec is an interesting team. I've never had good chemistry with them, but on paper they have the players to make it happen. Smoz always had a defensive style, so we'll have to see if this team fits his needs.

brutus (Detroit): +2500 ---- The runner-up of the A league returns with Detroit, the team with the scariest players in the game! At 25-1, Brutus is an underdog to win, but he proved last season that he can beat a strong player in a playoff series! I won't be surprised to see Brutus in the playoffs, but it will be a close one I think. Once Yzerman, Dino and company get clicking, watch out.

Sicarius Fulgur (Vancouver): +3000 ---- Sicarius has won some B titles in the past and is always a tough opponent to play. Vancouver boasts speed, but they have a weak defense. Sicarius will have to harness that raw speed to blast by his opponents, but this is a crafty veteran group. They will expect that onslaught and try to neutralize that speed.

Gretzkyonacold (Chicago): +3500 ---- LA Robbie will need to look beyond the power of Roenick to be effective in this Classic season. Many vets will lock down Roenick and force Robbie to score with Larmer, Ruutu, Murphy, etc. Robbie tends to be a one-timer fiend, but he'll have to create different strategies to get past this group. He can win a few, but ultimately I think he misses out on the playoffs.

scribe99 (NY Rangers): +5000 ---- Scribe is a vet before my time and unknown skill to me. As such, I am forced to conclude his is a longshot after starting this season 0-18

Vegas odds baby!!! My desires have been satiated.

Interesting top pick you have. I would agree 100% if swos was on keyboard. Alas he is trying to transition to game pad, I'm familiar with that transition and swos may struggle with it like I did a couple years ago. It wasn't until this year where things started to click for me with the game pad, putting in the practice is a must. If swos catches on quick, yeah, hes the top pick hands down. That team fits him like a glove in my opinion and he's superior to the players who have teams that matchup well with Dallas (Vancouver, Detroit, Chicago).

I like Depch in this league, previous champ with a mediocre STL squad. I've never had the privilege of playing him, but the statistics seem to speak to a skilled player who should only benefit in the upgrade to MTL.

In percents/probability:

DAL	 400	 20.0%	swos
MTL	 500	 16.7%	depch
BOS	 500	 16.7%	kingraph
WPG	 650	 13.3%	TomKabs93
PIT	 800	 11.1%	angryjay93
LA	 800	 11.1%	canaidensfan66
TOR	1350	  6.9%	Vocally Caged
CGY	1500	  6.3%	hokkeefan2 
BUF	1800	  5.3%	zeppelin55 
QUE	2200	  4.3%	smozoma 
DET	2500	  3.8%	brutus