NHL'94 Forums

Spring'15 Gens B1 Playoffs

wallywojo

All the playoff coaches are returning players so no new blood. Everyone was a playoff team last year in B as well. From my experience this year it seems everyone came back with something new to their game or refined parts of their game to make this an interesting season. Thanks to mav who very late in the season stepped up and allowed many of the people here to get their 40 games completed.

Winnipeg (Lupz) vs Chicago (jagr) / Reg Season 2 - 1

Lupz make a big impact with a legit team vs last years Rangers (Al Czervik says 'no offense'). It may be obvious but the key to these two players was in their previous matchups Lupz did a great job of limiting JRs chances as only 3 shots in each of jagr's losses. I think if Mr. jagr wants to continue his season so Mrs. jagr will no likey him having to play MORE nhl94 he needs to find ways to get people outside of JR to consistently score. The other thing to consider is Lupz scored a league high 234 goals this season so he throws a lot of pressure at his opponent, most of that pressure coming from Selanne. Lupz really has played great with Winnipeg so its an uphill battle for jagr. I predict Lupz in 6.

Boston (Darko) vs Calgary (TexasPachyderm) / Reg Season 2 - 3

Texas is up 3-1 so far this year. All the games were pretty close but it has been a while since they faced each other since those games were over a month ago. Darko had the lowest GAA in the league and near the top in goals scored where Texas was third in goals scored. In the win Boston did have they jumped out quickly with a big lead in the first. All the closer games were won by Texas. I think there will be many close games in this series and based on their recent past Texas gets the slight edge. I predict Texas in 7.

Quebec (skip) vs Buffalo (mikey mac) / Reg Season 3 - 1

Skip was second in goals scored, most of those from Sakic. Similar scoring distribution for Mikey from Mogilny. With Skip's offensive power and Mikey giving up the most goals of all playoff coaches this is going to be tough for the Sabres. I predict skip in 5.

Detroit (jackandjose) vs LA (wallywojo) / Reg Season 3 - 1

jNj finally gets a powerhouse Detroit and has had a pretty good regular season. LA not so much but played a bit better lately. Detroit had a good goal differential in their matchup this season. jNj really loves to use Dino and his size/shot to create his chances. I put this series on Zhitnik. If he decides he wants to fly up ice then wallywojo will have to rely on too much manual goalie to stop Yzerman and Dino. I predict jNj in 6.

Edited by wallywojo

jNj finally gets a powerhouse Detroit and has had a pretty good regular season. LA not so much but played a bit better lately. Detroit had a good goal differential in their matchup this season. jNj really loves to use Dino and his size/shot to create his chances. I put this series on Zhitnik. If he decides he wants to fly up ice then wallywojo will have to rely on too much manual goalie to stop Yzerman and Dino. I predict jNj in 6.

If you don't want your defenseman to skate up the ice, dont cross the red (half line) while controlling him.

If you don't want your defenseman to skate up the ice, dont cross the red (half line) while controlling him.

ok, so the AI never sends defensemen with high OA past the red line?

Great write-up! Though I haven't played you guys much recently, I'll throw out these predictions based on some key stats at look at (mainly GF/G - GA/G, or GDif on the site).

Lupz in 5.

Texas in 6.

Skip in 6.

Jackandjose in 7.

Good luck!

Nice Wally but i think it was 3-2 Tex in regular season!!! ;-)

Anyway i hope to go to the next round but match Tex in the first round is definetly not a gift for me!!!

Nice Wally but i think it was 3-2 Tex in regular season!!! ;-)

Anyway i hope to go to the next round but match Tex in the first round is definetly not a gift for me!!!

my mistake bud. fixed.

ok, so the AI never sends defensemen with high OA past the red line?

Like most defensemen, Zhitnik's offensive awareness isn't high. He will still cross the red line, but it's nothing extreme like you are describing. I have Lidstrom in Blitz (same awareness) and he's my goalie's best friend :closedeyes:

Great write-up! Though I haven't played you guys much recently, I'll throw out these predictions based on some key stats at look at (mainly GF/G - GA/G, or GDif on the site).

Lupz in 5.

Texas in 6.

Skip in 6.

Jackandjose in 7.

Good luck!

Thanks for the confidence Raph. Really appreciate it... :glare:

That said, Lupz has far surpassed me in his game of late and I'd don't dispute he should take the series.

Edited by jagr68

That said, Lupz has far surpassed me in his game of late and I'd don't dispute he should take the series.

Thanks Bud, but we both know you know how to play this game, and JR can win a series by himself, I expect nothing, but a battle each, and every round should I advance through this one.

All the playoff coaches are returning players so no new blood. Everyone was a playoff team last year in B as well. From my experience this year it seems everyone came back with something new to their game or refined parts of their game to make this an interesting season. Thanks to mav who very late in the season stepped up and allowed many of the people here to get their 40 games completed.
Winnipeg (Lupz) vs Chicago (jagr) / Reg Season 2 - 1
Lupz make a big impact with a legit team vs last years Rangers (Al Czervik says 'no offense'). It may be obvious but the key to these two players was in their previous matchups Lupz did a great job of limiting JRs chances as only 3 shots in each of jagr's losses. I think if Mr. jagr wants to continue his season so Mrs. jagr will no likey him having to play MORE nhl94 he needs to find ways to get people outside of JR to consistently score. The other thing to consider is Lupz scored a league high 234 goals this season so he throws a lot of pressure at his opponent, most of that pressure coming from Selanne. Lupz really has played great with Winnipeg so its an uphill battle for jagr. I predict Lupz in 6.
Boston (Darko) vs Calgary (TexasPachyderm) / Reg Season 2 - 3
Texas is up 3-1 so far this year. All the games were pretty close but it has been a while since they faced each other since those games were over a month ago. Darko had the lowest GAA in the league and near the top in goals scored where Texas was third in goals scored. In the win Boston did have they jumped out quickly with a big lead in the first. All the closer games were won by Texas. I think there will be many close games in this series and based on their recent past Texas gets the slight edge. I predict Texas in 7.
Quebec (skip) vs Buffalo (mikey mac) / Reg Season 3 - 1
Skip was second in goals scored, most of those from Sakic. Similar scoring distribution for Mikey from Mogilny. With Skip's offensive power and Mikey giving up the most goals of all playoff coaches this is going to be tough for the Sabres. I predict skip in 5.

Great work Wally! Mrs. Jagr definitely will not cry if/when Lupz takes me out.

Edited by jagr68

Nothing personal bud, I look at this stat as the leading indicator of team strength:

2rxvdae.jpg

And would conclude that Lupz should be a heavy favorite in this series. Good luck though, you can't underestimate the power of JR!

Here's my predictions:

Lupz in 5- he's been playing lights out lately

Darko in 7- this is a toss up but I think Boston's defense will carry them to the win.

Mikey Mac in 6- much improved lately and on fire with Mogilney.

Wally in 6- he's playing as good as anyone right now.

Just a heads up guys - I'm away next Thursday 5/14 through the following Thursday and will have to get my 2nd round series in before or after. Sorry!

Do you pass shoot a lot? That could skew your shot totals downwards.

last season i didnt know how to do pass shots and avg 11, so not that far off. I'm the anti-Brett Hull

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to say I was a sore loser but I could have been better keeping up with this after I was ousted. For my predictions from round 1 I was only off in two series on how many games the predicted winner would finish. For my series with jNj it went like so:

For the lineups I am using Gretzky - Sandstrom - Granato and jNj subs in Drake for Federov and Lidstrom for Chiasson.

I like how the game begins with Sandstrom lighting the lamp with one of his patented one-timers. A minute later Dino scores, something that is a theme of this series. Tight start, playoff hockey!! I only get one shot in the period and jNj takes three. The second is tight with a few shots each and no scoring. In the third play goes back and forth and two minutes into the third Dino breaks the tie. With a Blake penalty shortly after I had to tie things up with a shortie and it doesnt happen.

LA @ Det

1 - 2

I mix things up and try a bit more defense with Gretzky - Luc - Granato. It seems to be a great decision by Barry Melrose as Drake scores 20 seconds into the game. Dino gets another goal a few minutes later but then the LA O-ffense finally steps up with the next four goals including two from Zhitnik. A minute into the third Drake gets his second and its a one goal game. Forty seconds later Granato gets another for the trick and this would hold the game for LA. Dino gets another tally with 12 seconds left.

LA @ Det

5 - 4

In Game 3 the fireworks continue as the offensive output is more what you would expect from these teams. We alternate goals as first Dino scores, then Luc, Dino again, followed by Granato for two. A lot of action in the first period, maybe not a lot of defense :|. The second jNj gets an early Coffey goal to tie things up but Granato gets another for his second game in a row with a hat trick to take the lead again for LA. Going into the third down one Detroit needs to get serious and things start working for jNj as he score an early 3rd period goal to tie it up and the go ahead thirty seconds later. A minute after Lidstrom gives LA a chance with a penalty but they do nothing with the PP and then a late penalty by Zhitnik turns it into another shortie or lose situation and Detroit finishes the road win.

Det @ LA

6 - 4

In this game I go back to Sanstrom hoping to use his shot to help since Luc does little in the last two. At this point jNj is on a roll. Yzerman score ten seconds into the game followed by Dino nine seconds later and I take the earliest TO i have ever done. Afterwards I get a Gretzky and Granato goal to tie it up and calm it down a bit. At 2:37 of the first Dino score again and eighteen seconds later Yzerman scores. jNj goes a perfect 4 for 4 in the period and things are looking good for Detroit. In the middle of the second we trade goals and then Detroit gets another for a three goal lead. Late in the second Gretzky scores. LA goes quietly in the third with three shots and no goals. On the positive they didnt allow a detroit goal :|.

Det @ LA

6 - 4

Heading back to Detroit jNj has a chance to close it out at home. I decided to try and go back to Luc to see if that will help slow down the Detroit attack. Detroit has quite a few shots in the first and only allow one which is great D considering they were on the PK for two and we go to the second scoreless. Yzerman opens the scoring a minute into the second and we go to the third with five minutes of defense for Detroit for the series win. My best player by far this series Granato has something to say with goals at :34 and 1:46 of the third and LA is looking to go back home down a game. This dream is crushed by Dino again thirty seconds later followed by the Dino winner at 4:08.

LA @ Det

2 - 3

Series Numbers
Granato 9 - 1 - 10

Gretzky 2 - 6 - 8

Blake 0 - 4 - 4

Hrudey 21 31 .596 sv%

Yzerman 4 - 4 - 8

Ciccarelli 12 - 2 - 14

Drake 4 - 1 - 5

Cheveldae 16 24 .666 sv%

I was bummed to go out in the first round after making the finals last year. I felt confident to start the season and with some of my favorite players like Sandstrom I was optimistic. I don't think I played my best hockey and I think everyone played really well. It was a lot fun again and I can't wait until the fall classic season. Until then you'll see me around in the early evening looking for exis.

• 2 weeks later...

The Jets and Bruins played the finals today, and in a thrilling 7 game series the Winnipeg Jets barely slip by the Bruins. Hats of to a great bud, and great player in Darko, this series could have gone either way, and was a thrilling gut wrenching series for both parties. Great season to all the buds in B1 this year, tough group of players, and even better buds! Hopefully I won't get whooped to bad by the B2 champ in Evan, and the almighty Bruins (man am I sick of seeing that team after this grueling 7 game series with Darko).

Thx bud but you deserve it,no pb!!! That was an awesome serie!!! Great season for you and your Jets,great player and good spotsmanship! The number one in regular season won the B1 finals! I am a little bit disapointed as i led by one goal in game 7 with less than one minute to play but that's game!!!

At least it won't be Bos-Bos in finals and that's a good thing i think haha!!!

Great season guys! That was tough as Lupz said!! See you next classic and good luck to both guys for the big finals!!!

Edited by Darko99

Great job guys, some of those series look incredible! 7 game thrillers, including OT's!

Lupz/Evan, please record your series when you play (just check the "record" box in kaillera BEFORE clicking "ready" each game).

Good luck gentlemen!