NHL'94 Forums

Why is the SNES emulator so much better than Gens?

Desynchs and lag almost never happen when I play SNES. I can go a whole season without experiencing either. However, on Gens both seem pretty common. My wife and daughter can both be streaming something and SNES still works fine. This is not the case with Gens. Is there anyway to improve Gens or are we stuck with the way it is?

Edited by jackandjose

which SNES emulator do y'all use for interplay? the two main ones are both good, but SNES9x seems to have the actual emulation down a lot better for the games I have played. if I remember right, they both have great display filter options that round off many of the blocky pixels, but I've settled on SNES9x for its lack of quirkiness in running ROMs. am I right that y'all use the other one? can somebody break down the whys on that decision for us to read here, too?

yeah, that's it. it's pretty good, but you will notice some slight differences from what you are used to on your console and television screen. most games work pretty well on it, but I believe that SNES9x is the technically "better" emulator. is it not okay for onlag gaming?

J&J, I'm not sure why Gens is so temper mental & zSNES is not.

I think it has something to do with the system it is actually emulating though, and less to do with the actual program and it's code.

Would love to hear from guys who code though, like SMOZ or someone who knows the technical difference between ZSNES & GENS.

ZSNES also enables in game chatting and the ability to load a game in the middle of it from a save state.

However, I do get "issues" some times trying to START a game in ZSNES but never w/ GENS.

On my desktop, I had issues if I played the game in full windows mode & it would crash the next time I loaded it up.

On my laptop, half the time I've had to use unclick the TCP options or something like that, and half the time I had to put it on to be able to connect with whomever I was playing. However, ONCE the games were connected, it was 1000 times better software than GENS.

Too bad I liked Gens so much more, or I'd convert just for the emulator!

Yeah, that's weird. I've never had trouble starting. A player did once ask me to turn off the TCP option. I wasn't sure why?

Also, the ability to change home teams without disconnecting is nice.

I've definitely thought about switching full time to SNES just for the emulator(not enough active leagues though).

then why don't more people use that? or do they? I seem to recall that most don't....

then why don't more people use that? or do they? I seem to recall that most don't....

Because kega has input delay even when played offline. I haven't tested it in like 2 years, but when I tried kega it was very noticeable

oh, yeah. I don't know how y'all put up with any delay at all; the Flow can be broken so easily. the biggest key to the game for me is that immersion from seeing your -- and your opponent's -- inputs displayed so rapidly on the screen. that has always been my issue with the Genesis version on the system console and with emulation, but folks swear there isn't a delay difference between the systems... I notice it EVERY time and it is frustrating feeling the lack of response on the lesser system to the point where I fully understand the desire to minimize it as much as possible. Kega adding an even more noticeable delay is not okay. it's too bad there isn't a better option for Genesis emulation; it is really unfortunate for those that prefer that version.

It's built into the SNES ones; it's tacked onto Gens. Kega has good netplay since it's built-in.

So we just need to get the Gens developers to build it into the next version?

when was the last version? I don't think there will be a "next" version unless somebody here takes it upon themselves to redo it... and that's a LONG shot in this sparse hacking landscape.

So we just need to get the Gens developers to build it into the next version?

when was the last version? I don't think there will be a "next" version unless somebody here takes it upon themselves to redo it... and that's a LONG shot in this sparse hacking landscape.

There's no particular Gens developer(s) anymore, so no traditional 'versions' ("version 2.3", etc..), just random people incrementally modifying it, and I guess it's not something they want to do.

For example, here are the recent changes to Gens Rerecording: https://code.google.com/p/gens-rerecording/source/list

It sounds like improving the current state of Gens netplay would be quite difficult since the emulator wasn't originally written with netplay in mind. I don't know what sort of tricks if any the other emus use.

Kega does feel kind of 'too smooth' (delayed). One thing that really bugged me about Kega when I last tried it was that you couldn't set the window to the size of your choice, you had to use either full screen or multiples of the normal size.

that's a very common problem for emulators and stand-alone gaming programs. if your old indie game or emulation program of choice lets you choose any size -- preferable holding to scale, at least as an option -- consider yourself lucky.