NHL'94 Forums

Changes For Next Season

Premium

1) Only one goalie per team

There is no need to draft two goalies. I have never even used my backup goalie in a league game. The backup goalies always end up hijacking the goalie stats aswell.

2) Trade cap with no extensions (Draft)

Three or Five trades is a good number. The trading IS fun, but it gets to the point where start trading for fun and not to improve their team.

3) No trading goalies

Some coaches fail to realize that a goalie isn't worth anything. If we are allowed to trade them, someone will essentially get a free player that is worthy to be drafted in the first four rounds.

Example, in Blitz I was able to trade Ranford for Gilmour.

4) Have a player ranking system that generates a trade evaluator

Have a formula that generates a player ranking based on points. If there is a trade where the gap between the total points of each team is too large, it is automatically vetod.

1. People use their backup goalies. When the gas start flowing a lot of people switch in their backup, a lot. I never do this myself either, but that doesn't matter. Even though it never really makes a difference, it's sort of a psychological thing. All in all, an unnecessary restriction. (It'd save a round though, it's nice to make things faster).

2. I like this idea. It always gets discussed but never implemented.

3. Another unnecessary restriction. Way too many people will be against this. You can't force people to make teams the way you do lol. That being said, goalies are definitely overvalued. This was especially apparent in an exi I had with raph recently where he scored 8 goals on Roy. I know my manual goalie sucks, but some of them were like long distance onetimers. On the best goalie in the game :/ lol. I just wish there was a way to get everyone on board that the difference between bad goalies and good ones isn't a huge deal. Although now I'm thinking about games against habs where he was LA and hrudey let in the cheesiest of cheese goals over and over again. This all being said, I wouldn't want to be stuck with Jeff Reese all season in any league

4. If someone can make this a reality, then sure it'd be a nice addition. ADP sorta works, but it's far from perfect.

- Personal Thoughts -

A lot of people love trading. I personally don't love it, but have partaken in it in the past and I enjoyed it then. The thing is, trading is really cheesy imo. The same people always make super teams, and the less experienced coaches always get ripped off. Playing exis with the current gdl rom made me think about this. Some teams are soo bad lol, and others of course are pretty stacked. Obviously I would never expect people to want to eliminate trading, this is just some meaningless personal thoughts. Feel free to cut me down and call me crazy, it's all good.

1. People use their backup goalies. When the gas start flowing a lot of people switch in their backup, a lot. I never do this myself either, but that doesn't matter. Even though it never really makes a difference, it's sort of a psychological thing. All in all, an unnecessary restriction. (It'd save a round though, it's nice to make things faster).

3. Another unnecessary restriction. Way too many people will be against this. You can't force people to make teams the way you do lol. That being said, goalies are definitely overvalued. This was especially apparent in an exi I had with raph recently where he scored 8 goals on Roy. I know my manual goalie sucks, but some of them were like long distance onetimers. On the best goalie in the game :/ lol. I just wish there was a way to get everyone on board that the difference between bad goalies and good ones isn't a huge deal. Although now I'm thinking about games against habs where he was LA and hrudey let in the cheesiest of cheese goals over and over again. This all being said, I wouldn't want to be stuck with Jeff Reese all season in any league

1. Switching goalies for the fun of it is not a good reason to f**k up the goalie stats in every league. In the end you can use your manual goalie so there virtually is no reason to switch.

3. When the noobs constantly trade away their good players for goalies, it becomes kind of stupid. It's also a subtle way for the top players to stack their teams. :)

Edited by Premium

3. Yeah good point. It's pretty impossible to make the general public agree with this restriction, but you're definitely right. I wholeheartedly agree with what you said about point 3 in your post above.

But

But

But

If you're a noob, you need a good goalie to make up for your lack of manual ;););) ;) ;)

Edited by TomKabs93

1. Switching goalies for the fun of it is not a good reason to f**k up the goalie stats in every league. In the end you can use your manual goalie so there virtually is no reason to switch.

)

Why don't we just correct the GAA stat on the website instead? The game already tracks the minutes played, so it's a very simple correction.

On a side note, stream the draft lottery (if there is going to be one), and (TRY, because getting 24 guys together would be difficult) to stream the DRAFT on Twitch.(At least for the first round or two). I think it would create even more excitement and buzz like the real NFL Draft does.

You could have someone host the show and create overlays to show draft selections and there would be a chat room for interaction while its going on.

Just a thought. I'm dabbling in streaming on PC and XBox and I immediately thought this would be sweet for the draft.

post-707-0-42511900-1432440245_thumb.png

1) Only one goalie per team

There is no need to draft two goalies. I have never even used my backup goalie in a league game. The backup goalies always end up hijacking the goalie stats aswell.

2) Trade cap with no extensions (Draft)

Three or Five trades is a good number. The trading IS fun, but it gets to the point where start trading for fun and not to improve their team.

3) No trading goalies

Some coaches fail to realize that a goalie isn't worth anything. If we are allowed to trade them, someone will essentially get a free player that is worthy to be drafted in the first four rounds.

Example, in Blitz I was able to trade Ranford for Gilmour.

4) Have a player ranking system that generates a trade evaluator

Have a formula that generates a player ranking based on points. If there is a trade where the gap between the total points of each team is too large, it is automatically vetod.

1) I like having 2 goalies if things stay the way they are.

2) I like all the other options Plab mentioned and I'm in favor of implementing them. Poor Skip must have made 20 roms this season due to all the trade extensions. We were bored in the time it took to get things going but it did get a bit out of control.

3) I'm also doing a big flip flop and I'm now 100% in favor of static player ratings. Less luck involved, so the guys you draft will be their regular selves each and every game. No more having your star players feel like they're on steroids one game and on their period the next. Areas like shot power, accuracy, passing, stick-handling and agility seem to be most effected. Dropping from a 4 rating to a 3 rating (when cold) in those categories or going from a 4 to a 5 (when hot) is a much larger factor on the ice then people realize IMO. And if static ratings are implemented I'd be fine with having only 1 goalie.

Edited by Uncle Seth

Leave the 2nd goalie.

Trade caps are up to commish. Some seasons had it, some didn't. I always like a cap.

The goalie debate will contiue each season of every draft league. If you don't value them, don't draft them early, it's your advantage. Goalies have been dropping lately!

I have such a ratings system. Tweak each draft. I don't think there were any controversial trades in the last few drafts.

Seth, its not a full point up and down for players...I think it came out to be like .3 up or down...gotta re-read that thread.

Whoever commishes next should just PLAN things out better to avoid long drafts and delays.

* Roll call and confirm 24 coaches

* Confirm 24 teams

* Draft date, rules, and draft deadlines set for each round!

* Have a player availability, draft results, etc...website or Google doc.

* Dedicated person to make the ROM (no delays)

* Have the end of draft, preseason, season schedule SET.

* Work w/ Chaos (or your own site) to help it get set up asap and ready for season Likely the person making the ROM will be involved.

* GA.

That should be the basics. There have been over 20+ draft leagues now...we should be able to get this right, haha.

Is there a good reason why we couldn't have everyone leave their top 6 forwards, top 4 defense, and 2 goalies ahead of the draft? This way, if someone doesn't pick in their assigned slot, they just get their top pick on their list? You would just need to leave your preferred order of positions to pick (ie: F, F, D, F,.....G). We are already doing this to a degree once the draft has started, and I don't see a good reason why we couldn't do it for the whole draft. Sure some guys would complain, but it would be their own fault for missing their pick. This could really speed up the draft, which drags on way too much.

* Have the end of draft, preseason, season schedule SET.

We really need a hardass commish to enforce this though.

Is there a good reason why we couldn't have everyone leave their top 6 forwards, top 4 defense, and 2 goalies ahead of the draft? This way, if someone doesn't pick in their assigned slot, they just get their top pick on their list? You would just need to leave your preferred order of positions to pick (ie: F, F, D, F,.....G). We are already doing this to a degree once the draft has started, and I don't see a good reason why we couldn't do it for the whole draft. Sure some guys would complain, but it would be their own fault for missing their pick. This could really speed up the draft, which drags on way too much.

We really need a hardass commish to enforce this though.

Could be an option for some guys that know ahead of time if they will be spotty during the draft. I'm constantly checking my phone during a draft so I never miss a pick.....surprised I haven't been fired from work yet haha

3) I'm also doing a big flip flop and I'm now 100% in favor of static player ratings. Less luck involved, so the guys you draft will be their regular selves each and every game. No more having your star players feel like they're on steroids one game and on their period the next. Areas like shot power, accuracy, passing, stick-handling and agility seem to be most effected. Dropping from a 4 rating to a 3 rating (when cold) in those categories or going from a 4 to a 5 (when hot) is a much larger factor on the ice then people realize IMO. And if static ratings are implemented I'd be fine with having only 1 goalie.

In online play I would always prefer static values except for Classic, which should be the way it is. Negate luck effect as much as possible.

Although now I'm thinking about games against habs where he was LA and hrudey let in the cheesiest of cheese goals over and over again. This all being said, I wouldn't want to be stuck with Jeff Reese all season in any league

Claaassic Hrudey

Somewhere on my hard drive I have a set of .gs0 savestates dedicated to Hrudey's ineptitude during testing of hacks (since LA is a default team...)

Having two goalies has no purpose. More logical to keep the website code as it is and remove what is unnecessary.

That is not logical at all -- it's just what you want.

If the website is calculating GAA as GA/GP not GA/900seconds (need to account for overtime and pulled goalies, too), that's wrong and should be fixed. 2 goalies is a totally separate issue.

I agree though that the 2nd goalie is useless.

Any thoughts on dividing into an A and B league like blitz?

I prefer the classic rom, but blitz is a better league because every game is competitive. Also, its much easier to find 11 coaches. I'm pretty sure there are far fewer dnp's in blitz.

Any thoughts on dividing into an A and B league like blitz?

I prefer the classic rom, but blitz is a better league because every game is competitive. Also, its much easier to find 11 coaches. I'm pretty sure there are far fewer dnp's in blitz.

24 teams is the reason GDL is better. The playoffs in Blitz only has 8 coaches :(

Also, not every game has to be competitive, or else who would be in my league? ;)

Just noticed Raph's notes about

Whoever commishes next should just PLAN things out better to avoid long drafts and delays.

Are you not doing it then Raphy? Anyone else?

24 teams is what makes GDL special, keep it that way. Maybe sharpen up the deadlines for playoffs? I dunno, I like it the way it is... ^_^

/ Mr.Traditionalist

Could be an option for some guys that know ahead of time if they will be spotty during the draft. I'm constantly checking my phone during a draft so I never miss a pick.....surprised I haven't been fired from work yet haha

We would need to enforce it for everyone though. I would expect the guys who usually delay the draft to not provide a list, so having it optional probably wouldn't help much.

I've always liked the idea of an A and B level in GDL too but the majority seem to be for keeping it as is. Actually, given my recent playoff performance I think I'd need to be in my own division (C level).

Seth, its not a full point up and down for players...I think it came out to be like .3 up or down...gotta re-read that thread.

I just went through that thread and here is the info. This is from Smoz "It's not +1/-1. It's between +0.4 and -0.4. Because internally, the base ratings are multiplied by 5, then a number from -2 to -2 is added. So if your base skill is 4 (like muller), it becomes 4*5 = 20, then plus the bonus, so 18-22. Which, if you convert back to the 0-6 rating, is 3.6-4.4."

From me "The -0.4 & +0.4 indeed would equal to something like +/- ~8. The difference of 3 - 4 - 5 is 18 (54 - 72 - 90), so a attribute value of 1.0 would be 18 in the higher skills, then 0.5 would be ~9. If it is locked to -0.4 then a base skill of 4 should never be at 63? Yet we do get to see 72 -> 63 seen using option #5, which is -9, I' don't think I've ever seen a +9 though. This is not an issue though. "

Smoz "One of them might be -0.6 or +0.6, I forget. But that'd have some overlap... Anyway, since there is less variation of values (there are 5 or 6 values available for a player, 4--> (3.4?), 3.6, 3.8, 4.0, 4.2, 4.4) than there are overall ratings (range of ~18), then yes some values will not be seen when the accurate ratings hack is applied. "

So the 0,4 is to the value of skills between 1-5 (0 & 6 are always the same). To a skill 4 the variance of 3.6 to 4.4 would roughly be between 63-80, it is a huge difference and in a playoff series when you get a player real cold for many games a row that just sucks both ways. =)

I'm also all in for a static skills rom, it's not unheard of the PC version was always static, this variance is a thing of consoles. :)

nhl94static.bin I added this file for some guys who want to test the static rom, I'm sure we'll get plenty of exis with Seth with that at least.

Here is the thread http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/16601-hotcold-streaks/

Edited by Depch

I loved having everyone in the same league. I'm normally a B player, but playing A guys is the only way to get better. I don't care if I have zero chance of winning the title. It's still fun for me.

• 2 weeks later...
If it was up to me, I'd also do the following things for next season. (Static was already mentioned, but here it comes again)

-No trading first round picks / or picks in general + keep an eye on trades involving top 10 players going to contenders. Between contenders vs other A guys it's not usually very much fun if contenders gets a top 10 guy on their roster, it's not everything, but some games it's a lot. This increases disparity even more, which is the reason I think the adjusted draft picks were there to begin with. Also trading picks in general is often beneficial for top players anyways, who are better anticipating when a player will get picked and know the true value of a player. If the mindset in the league overall is that having that knowledge should give you the advantage, then so it should be, live and learn mentality, but then it would be nice from the not so experienced players to ask other A guys their opinions on trades. It's not like it has to be a secret, only people usually having something to gain would like to keep it so. Eklund E5 anyone! :D A trade can be win-win in those situations, but looking at the bigger picture overall, it might just do harm to the league itself. As an example last season Ciccarelli with Kingraph & Selanne with Frey, not saying they would not have gotten as far with them, they were both contenders to begin with Plabax, but it was a real menace against other A guys, such moves increase disparity. I do not like it, it could be a cultural thing to believe it's selfish, doesn't mean I'm right, I just really think the adjusted draft picks are there for a reason to begin with.

-Non snake draft to give weaker players more advantage - The benefit of snake is obviously faster drafting and that snake is traditional. But then again this goes back to the mentality of my first thesis on the trades concerning top players/picks. I could only see most A guys not be happy about this, as it will most likely affect those teams most. If majority thinks snake is fair, then snake it should be.

-Static skills rom - Arguing can be made that the rom should be as vanilla as possible, but it has already been modified, last season we already had a vote about Y-button & CB-check as well. Playing a competive game should have luck reduced as much as possible. It's a b***h if you have your main guys cold for 5 games out of 7 in a playoff series for example or vice verse.

Edited by Depch

If it was up to me, I'd also do the following things for next season. (Static was already mentioned, but here it comes again)
-No trading first round picks / or picks in general + keep an eye on trades involving top 10 players going to contenders. Between contenders vs other A guys it's not usually very much fun if contenders gets a top 10 guy on their roster, it's not everything, but some games it's a lot. This increases disparity even more, which is the reason I think the adjusted draft picks were there to begin with. Also trading picks in general is often beneficial for top players anyways, who are better anticipating when a player will get picked and know the true value of a player. If the mindset in the league overall is that having that knowledge should give you the advantage, then so it should be, live and learn mentality, but then it would be nice from the not so experienced players to ask other A guys their opinions on trades. It's not like it has to be a secret, only people usually having something to gain would like to keep it so. Eklund E5 anyone! :D A trade can be win-win in those situations, but looking at the bigger picture overall, it might just do harm to the league itself. As an example last season Ciccarelli with Kingraph & Selanne with Frey, not saying they would not have gotten as far with them, they were both contenders to begin with Plabax, but it was a real menace against other A guys, such moves increase disparity. I do not like it, it could be a cultural thing to believe it's selfish, doesn't mean I'm right, I just really think the adjusted draft picks are there for a reason to begin with.
-Non snake draft to give weaker players more advantage - The benefit of snake is obviously faster drafting and that snake is traditional. But then again this goes back to the mentality of my first thesis on the trades concerning top players/picks. I could only see most A guys not be happy about this, as it will most likely affect those teams most. If majority thinks snake is fair, then snake it should be.
-Static skills rom - Arguing can be made that the rom should be as vanilla as possible, but it has already been modified, last season we already had a vote about Y-button & CB-check as well. Playing a competive game should have luck reduced as much as possible. It's a b***h if you have your main guys cold for 5 games out of 7 in a playoff series for example or vice verse.

GDL is too big of a league for your garbage. Non-snake? Not everyone needs to have a fair chance at winning. Players who are good at the game have obviously put in the time to be good, so why should they be punished for it? Some players are better than others, that is how it is. Giving others the sympathy of stacking their teams because they can't beat the top A players like me is just giving players who do not deserve to win a better chance to do so.

I'm for random draft order.

If you get 2-3 seasons in a year, it doesn't matter if someone had some top 5 guy for one season or not.

I'd like to tie a draft lottery w/ weights to games played by the start of the season (say to first 30 games), cause it's hard to get past 30 if guys are slacking, but if 2/3rd's of a league jump out to 30, you can push the schedules faster to get more seasons in per year.

Again, more seasons mean more chances to have different teams. The games aren't that intrusive at say 10 a week to real life, and you get set it at 6/wk and still get 2-3 seasons in per year.

PLUS, guys can sit out every now & then cause you aren't waiting 6 months to re-join later on.

F*ck trying to placate to the weak, and I'm one of the weaker. The results are the same almost every season, minus when we heavily handicapped Classic, and that was more due to a lack of top A guys joining, imo.

Edited by Brutus

GDL is too big of a league for your garbage. Non-snake? Not everyone needs to have a fair chance at winning. Players who are good at the game have obviously put in the time to be good, so why should they be punished for it? Some players are better than others, that is how it is. Giving others the sympathy of stacking their teams because they can't beat the top A players like me is just giving players who do not deserve to win a better chance to do so.

Is your ego hurt for coming out like that? You can blast it all away, just ease your pain, we understand. :D This was mostly what I was inquiring, for a ghetto kid like you it must be a cultural thing to think like that, fight to win, you get what you deserve, live and learn and use what you've got. Now I'm curious about other opinions.

I'm all good to go with that attitude as well, I just wanna know where the league stands at in this case.