NHL'94 Forums

Changes For Next Season

Premium

As much as I enjoy the trading, if you did a random draft order not based on skill, you could then put in trade restrictions on Round 1, say top 10, no trading or something like that.

I personally would want NO trade restrictions minus some veto system and a draft lottery based on first 30 games, but for this year, you'd do just straight random lottery.

I'd also like to get either GDL or Blitz set to go for say July 6th. Going before then would run into the July 4th weekend, and I can't get Blitz started while we are still in semi-finals. I'd be willing to commish either league if no one is willing to.

The NHL or any pro league does not use a snake draft, they attempt to "placate the weak."

Sometimes it works....see the Penguins (Crosby, Malkin, etc...)

Sometimes it does not....see the Oilers

If you are "good" handicaps make things more interesting.

I do not like the idea of a static rom.

I like that the players change and perform differently game to game.

It is one of my favorite aspects of the game.

To me if you want things the same and no luck play table hockey or chess.

These are just my opinions, but I will be fine with whatever the league goes with.

At the end of the day a strong leader will just need to make some decisions and deal with the inevitable backlash.

I am excited to return to GDL and build my own team.

I will not trade.

I would like to move my team to Edmonton. I think Edmonton was replaced last season as well so hopefully that will work out.

Edited by CoachMac

The NHL or any pro league does not use a snake draft, they attempt to "placate the weak."

Sometimes it works....see the Penguins (Crosby, Malkin, etc...)

Sometimes it does not....see the Oilers

If you are "good" handicaps make things more interesting.

I do not like the idea of a static rom.

I like that the players change and perform differently game to game.

It is one of my favorite aspects of the game.

To me if you want things the same and no luck play table hockey or chess.

These are just my opinions, but I will be fine with whatever the league goes with.

At the end of the day a strong leader will just need to make some decisions and deal with the inevitable backlash.

I am excited to return to GDL and build my own team.

I will not trade.

I would like to move my team to Edmonton. I think Edmonton was replaced last season as well so hopefully that will work out.

Here is the difference. In the NHL, teams who get the last pick are already good so the handicap is needed to try and even out the teams. A good team will typically be good the next season so there is no reason to snake.

In our case, being good does not mean you will have a good team. If we do not snake, the good players will end up with s**t teams every time so it doesn't even serve as a handicap to make things fair.

Also.. sometimes top players meet early in the playoffs. Freydey and TomKabs played in round 1, or swos and flasox. The loser of these kind of series is just going to have a big advantage over whoever was even with them the season before.

Edited by Premium

I just believe that we've done the "weak" player handicap long enough on this site.

It's time to start mixing it up and allow the "elite" players to show what they do with a top 5 pick from time to time w/out trading 5 rounds to move up!

It's not permanent. It's one season, and then the odds of ending up in the top 2 seasons in a row out of 24 teams is very low.

Also, put value on getting games in early and push the pace of leagues. Once to twice a year makes it too easy for a guy to slack and drag a league down towards the end.

There is enough drop in & out on the leagues these days so you can't claim the old way "works", nor can you claim any new way would "work" as well. But variety in the draft to me should be a must &&& an emphasis on getting to 30 games would lessen the drop out rates.