NHL'94 Forums

How to Handle Losing

Incoming baby post -

94 is becoming less and less fun for me. I play Seth fairly often at night, and I get rocked pretty consistently. Yeah I can win the odd game, but I feel so dominated in general. Another example is me losing to swos 4-1 in classic. I felt defeated before I even started playing. After game 1 I didn't even feel like I was playing 94 anymore. All I could think of was the repurcussions of my eventual loss, like it was fate for me to lose no matter what.

Basically, all my 94 confidence is gone. I have always been a pretty confident player, and now that I'm not as good as I'd like to be it's causing me a lot of 94 pain.

How do you guys handle losing? I'm not used to all this losing, I am so mad. As soon as I get blown out 1 game in exis or games in general, I'm as good as done mentally. I get super flustered and just feel like quitting. I need a freaking coach, I can't do this alone anymore for some reason. I'm going to look into simple meditation sometime soon to see if it can help. This crap is ruining me, I have barely played 94 in the last 2 weeks other than with stupidseth.

Someone help me find a way to get my confidence back so this game can be fun again!!!!!!!

I've tried to identify a couple weaknesses of yours and we've talked about them. You also have strengths though, which have been pointed out. This is a helpful community. Maybe other people notice things I don't about your game. Can't hurt to ask, which is really what you're sort of doing here. I still think you're a bit burnt out and could use some time off. But the key to getting over losing in my opinion is to know WHY you are losing and what needs to be fixed. Not knowing is what drives people nuts and creates that hopeless feeling.

Edited by Uncle Seth

Clean break from '94 for 4-5 days!

You also have to remember that not many people can beat swos (esp. in playoffs) or Seth (when he's focused). You're playing the elite of '94! So if you're not on your game, you likely lose.

Play some exis against others and you'll rebuild your confidence. Also watch vids when during your break. Helps just watching elite play sometimes.

I got beat 4-1 to Kin Graph and his band of fatties in our classic playoff series. After every game I tried to adjust to what he did, and I usually would, but he would counter, etc, and we had some really good games. But I honestly felt like I played my best and it just wasn't good enough, and sometimes you reach that point and need to decide to practice more or learn some new trick (fatty c-b check ahem) to compete. But yeah.. Sometimes you just tip your hat to your opponent and be okay with it I guess. ronbarr.gif

Just curious Kabs - how has your internet connection been? How does it compare to what you had before? Are people scoring goals on you that you used to stop?

Just curious Kabs - how has your internet connection been? How does it compare to what you had before? Are people scoring goals on you that you used to stop?

That's a good question jer. My connection has been pretty good I think, but not quite as good as the one I had before. I don't feel like I'm getting cheesed by internet or anything, I just really feel that my game is bad. I'm mostly getting messed up by people who have done a lot of improving in the last couple years, which has brought my confidence down against others.

I depend on confidence too much.

Thanks for all the responses guys :dal_skater_hand_grab:

Edited by TomKabs93

How do you guys handle losing

cf20a9ba5365f6ae8f2e7c6227ae9b1a.jpg

I think jer is on to something about the conncetion(or at least something on that side of things) Probob and I both have windows 8 and it's not a super drastic change, but we both noticed things feel "different" now. Maybe it's too many programs running in the backround causing a slight delay.

you still using the analog controller? You were silky smooth with that. if your old one broke check ebay and buy like 10 of em.

That's about all I can think of for now. good thread though, the site needs it. It sucks to lose and feel stuck. Best thing to do is blame it on your gear (my go to) and hopefully it gets figured out soon.

maen, you've got to enjoy the losing. you know you are good and that you enjoy winning, right? try to win, of course, but really enjoy the loses that prove it's possible to lose and that even though you are good, the match is not foregone without chance. I like to lose.

If you haven't heard, in TK's new abode there are quite a few 8 legged visitors creeping around. I saw a pic of one and I must say, even Little Miss Muffet would have pooped her panties if it popped down beside her. One of them bit him in his sleep about a week ago, ouch! I saw the pic that proves it too. The reaction made him gimp-ish for a few days. Anyhow, I think the venom is finally out of TK's system because he played solid last night. No hissy fits either (because's that's too Hokkee). So everyone can stop worrying, all is looking OK now in Daddy-Long-Legs-Land.............until the next itsy bitsy spider mistakes TK's rectal cavity for hiding spot.

Edited by Uncle Seth