NHL'94 Forums

Best version to play with ?

SovietAlert22

This is a can of worms to open :D

Being diplomatic:

Genesis is more popular, but SNES has lots of adherents, too. They're quite different. Just play them both, and if you feel you need to stick to one then pick the one you're enjoying :). I find the Genesis one is more flowwy/artistic, while the SNES one is more snappy/controlled. The one really objective point: SNES emulators are better, less frustration about disconnected online games. Well, the Genesis Kega emulator is decent, but few people use it.

If someone is 100% new ot NHL '94, and then trying to decide a system to play, then it would be important to figure out your preference on a few fronts for me.

Are you looking to play online here and join leagues?

Snes has a few, and less overall players to play, but if your pace was going to be limited, this would probably fit. If you were looking to play tons of games all the time, start on GENS, and hope you have a good learning curve to your game.

And while you are online here:

Are you the type who wants higher scoring games w/ glitz style goals and a faster pace?
Gens would be your game.

Are you OK w/ getting drubbed 15-2 every now and then?

Gens online here would be your game. The difference between regular guys in Gens and the top level guys is quite larger, imo, than in SNES. It's more of an even community on the SNES side, at least on this site.

Do you like being able to "chat" in game with your opponent?

SNES is your game, and GENS cannot do this.

Also, I find the SNES crowd to be a "nicer" crowd to play against. If I was going to hang in a room drinking beer & playing with a one group or the other, I'd probably pick the SNES crowd, lead by Halifax! However, the GENS crowd is definitely the one I'd rather meet, as they are quite the motley crew.

The second part would be, where do you play from?

I'm not too sure SNES has much representation in Europe, although they do have a few. Gens has more than a handful of guys to play with online from over there, and that leads to less lag.

Again, if I were to advise a system, I would not base it off how you did against the CPU. SNES CPU plays much better defense, so GENS might seem "easier", but if you play humans online, you quickly find that the GENS system enables more goals than the SNES system, epecially with the elite level players. So, while you may be able to score easier, rest assured that your opponent will DEFINITELY be able to pop them in easier on Gens than SNES against a newer player. That's the biggest "shock" most new players find, is "Holy crap, I just got pummeled". It can be shocking.

Definitely advise trying both online for a few days both ways before deciding.

Very good point by Brutus that Genesis has more league activity, but also true that SNES guys on the average are friendlier (not that there aren't great Genesis guys, just that the more competitive Genesis landscape, leagues, etc.. attracts/generates some drama)

some drama?! that is a huge understatement. the Genesis side is so full of drama that they are probably all bent out of shape about the simple declaration of that fact.

skating: Sega is loose and slippery, Nintendo is precise and responsive

shooting: Sega has powerful slapshot goals, fivehole goals and razor-thin posts, Nintendo is... uh... different from that

scoring: Sega is an arcade shootout more likely to get a blowout, Nintendo is a little bit more competitively balanced

defense: Sega might as well not have goalies, Nintendo has goalie and defense control buttons and subsequent actions

actions: Sega can do just enough, Nintendo has buttons and actions galore

emulators: Genesis emulators aren't very good for a variety of reasons, Super Nintendo emulators are nice

following: Sega has a lot more enthusiasts, Nintendo has a much less intense following

hacking: Sega hackers have more abilities and more discoveries known, Nintendo has a lot left to do

polishing: the Genesis release was rushed out with errors galore, the SNES cartridge fixed most of that stuff

feel: Genesis is a quirky hockey-like game, SNES is more of an NHL simulation

fun: ________________________, ____________________________

I actually think the MOST fun part about playing the GENS game is once you learn how to take control of the goalie manually, you actually can get quite good at defense, and it is very rewarding. However, in the beginning, this is clearly not the result!!!

Whereas, to me, in SNES, taking control of the goalie is my least favorite part because he slides like a block & just doesn't animate on the saves, reaching out for gloves saves, etc under manual control, and the GENS, the goalie actually skates around plus makes glove & stick saves.

Remove the part where your opponent switches his goalie, rams into you and YOU get the penalty, plus give me GENs goalie control and some slap shots from the occasional blue line, and I'd switch to SNES just for the emulator.

Again though, test both systems in head to head fashion, and it should be apparent to you which you prefer on your own.

and give the other versions some tries, too. the PC game is amazing and weird, similar to '92. the Sega CD version is like the Genesis version but playable. play them all before you develop too much of a preference. and, yeah, they are different enough that you should find a preference fairly easily.

It seems when i play the genesis version, i score more goals and the cpu isnt too hard but when i play SNES version, its hard as **** to score and the cpu is harder. (my opinion)

Learn the simple deke (coming at an angle in forehand, then go backhand), or go across the crease (start near the boards, come straight across and tap the puck in the far side when you get there) in SNES and you will score every single time. Don't take slapshots in SNES.

yeah, in SNES "the move" is totally the move. go right for the goalie at pretty much any angle. on your way there, try to switch the puck from one side of the player to the other and fake the far side last, tucking it in or shooting it or letting the crash slide the puck in on the short side for the goal. read that again:

-skate at the goalie

-move the puck from one side to the other

-fake far

-do nearly anything short

now, against a human, you will probably need to know how to fake short and shoot far to get the move to work because the regular way is expected. a lot of players don't even use "the move" because it is too basic, but it will get you goals, especially the standard way against the AI.