NHL'94 Forums

The Toronto NHL '94 Tournament Registration is now OPEN!

McMikey

Ok Folks you have been waiting for it. Head on over to the website

http://www.kingof94.com

to Register for our HUGE NHL'94 tournament in Toronto September 12th 2015. There are only 60 Guaranteed spots open for each SNES and Gens. "halifax" will be updating with the list of rules at a latter time. I'm posting this early on here so the NHL94.com boys can have a head start! Good Luck!!!!

----We have tons and tons planed for prizes, NHL Alumni, and giveaways... so trust me the $45 entry fee is a BARGIN!!!!

Cheers,

Mikey

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in! #3 on sega!

Some comments/ideas:

Tourney:

1. Use 64 players, not 60. 64 is a power of 2, so an appropriate tournament amount. Or was there another reason 60 was chosen?
  2. If the first 60/64 fill up fast, will you expand to more players?

1. I am REALLY not a fan of full screen splash images. I never know I need to scroll down. I don't know why this is popular, it's a terrible idea. Need to move the table up a bit or put a "sign up below" link. Seriously, I thought it was just a placeholder page at first :P
  2. If there are going to be prizes and NHL players and giveaways at the event, say that on the page!! That's a huge draw! :)
  3. Link to or embed one of the preview videos so people can see the documentary is legit.
  4. There are a BILLION different font styles/sizes on the sign up page. It makes it look a little hokey ;).
  5. I used my paypal account, but it seemed like you could just enter your credit card info and it would work? If so, mention that you can actually just pay with your credit card, you don't need to sign up with paypay, they just handle the transaction. You may lose entrants who see the paypal thing and quit because they don't want to sign up for paypal.
  6. If you can only sign up for 1 system, then use a radio button, not checkboxes :). Same for the skill level.
  7. "Player names submitted on this form must match the ID of the person playing in the tournament." -- put that next to the player name entry spot, not above the table.

Thanks for the suggestions smozoma. The plan is for 64. But the first 60 are guaranteed. If we have to do a playin to get to 64, Then we have a buffer.

There should be a brand new online league for every active player who is going to the tournament, and then do the live draft IN Toronto with a spreadsheet to help.

I'm in! #3 on sega!

Some comments/ideas:

Tourney:

1. Use 64 players, not 60. 64 is a power of 2, so an appropriate tournament amount. Or was there another reason 60 was chosen?
  2. If the first 60/64 fill up fast, will you expand to more players?

1. I am REALLY not a fan of full screen splash images. I never know I need to scroll down. I don't know why this is popular, it's a terrible idea. Need to move the table up a bit or put a "sign up below" link. Seriously, I thought it was just a placeholder page at first :P
  2. If there are going to be prizes and NHL players and giveaways at the event, say that on the page!! That's a huge draw! :)
  3. Link to or embed one of the preview videos so people can see the documentary is legit.
  4. There are a BILLION different font styles/sizes on the sign up page. It makes it look a little hokey ;).
  5. I used my paypal account, but it seemed like you could just enter your credit card info and it would work? If so, mention that you can actually just pay with your credit card, you don't need to sign up with paypay, they just handle the transaction. You may lose entrants who see the paypal thing and quit because they don't want to sign up for paypal.
  6. If you can only sign up for 1 system, then use a radio button, not checkboxes :). Same for the skill level.
  7. "Player names submitted on this form must match the ID of the person playing in the tournament." -- put that next to the player name entry spot, not above the table.

I'll work on fixing some of that now

Edited by McMikey

I taught myself this list form coding in a couple hours last night so i didn't know about the radio buttons. It would have been way better but the standard boxes are now locked into the inventory so its a no go back now... but ill play with it. I counted two fonts and 4 sizes... your billions must be a Leafs classics over estimate ;)

The details like prizes and NHL'ers are not fully confirmed yet but when they are they will be added and a video explaining the event will posted to the site. The Splash page was there originally to hold the site and the form was added after, when the new content is ready ill fix as much as i can.

Dang, oh well, people will understand they're only supposed to click one :)

What I mean by the billion fonts is, for example, that little "Pick Your System" area has 4 different styles, all different from the section above (and the * needs to go). The nhl94 username question is highlighted, too. I remember I made a resume a long time ago that had lots of different styles (combinations of font, size, italics, bold, alignment..) and I showed it to someone and they said "so many fonts!" I thought it was fine.. but I cleaned it up later and it actually looked way better.

Sorry if I sound super critical! It's shaping up to be an awesome event and documentary, I just worry that random visitors will be turned off if the signup page looks a bit slapped together / disjointed, when it's actually going to be a well organized real-deal event. Personally, I would get rid of the 'baddest' bit in the title and things like 'SHARP' for the time, to make it more professional. I'm also confused by 8am registration at the top of the page and 7am sign-in at the bottom. The splash image is really great (I just would like an indication that you need to scroll down to sign up) and the info table is fine of course (though not sure why the 94 skill level question is intended next to the T-shirt). The section between those just needs visually cleaning up.

Why must I hurt the people I love? :P

ok fixed. its now radio boxes (pain in the ass but worth it). I can't get ride of the (*) because its part of the code to indicated a form sections that has to be filled out

Edited by McMikey

Ahh I get it, the * means mandatory question :). I didn't make the connection.

It looks much better! Thanks for indulging me!

Unfortunately, I tend to only know what I don't like, not so much how to make things look good :(. Clockwise could make it look really awesome.

Just signed up too!

Gonna be sweet!

Still too early to speak of any details, but...Toronto's my home town, I got the wonderful SNES system, and I gots the multi-tap and comptrollers..

Also if anyone has any Toronto specific questions I'm happy to help. If you've never been before and you're looking for some nice spots to check out (if you're not playing 94' all weekend that is) drop me a line and I'd be happy to make some recommendations.

who is Kingraph?

Perhaps these last 4 games will refresh your memory:

* 3-6 Loss

* 4-5 Loss

* 4-8 Loss

* 2-9 Loss

;)

In other news, is there a hotel or location in Toronto we should be looking into? I'd like to book my flight and hotel soon, but it'd be great if the '94 community that is attending would be in the same hotel or close location.

In other news, is there a hotel or location in Toronto we should be looking into? I'd like to book my flight and hotel soon, but it'd be great if the '94 community that is attending would be in the same hotel or close location.

Yes. ^^^^

Also would be cool to see a list of signed up players.

Is Plabax coming? How about Tru or Trudatman?

They gotta be the 2 most wanted to see in person.

Edited by CoachMac

Perhaps these last 4 games will refresh your memory:

* 3-6 Loss

* 4-5 Loss

* 4-8 Loss

* 2-9 Loss

;)

You're flying? I'm up for a road trip if you are up for it.

You're flying? I'm up for a road trip if you are up for it.

Right now a roundtrip non-stop flight is $200 (after taxes)...so that'd be a total of like 3 hours of travel. Against like 16+ hours + gas + car/bus. I think it'd be fun if we got like 8+ buds...I'd be down for the adventure, so let's chat.

Just signed up too!

Gonna be sweet!

Still too early to speak of any details, but...Toronto's my home town, I got the wonderful SNES system, and I gots the multi-tap and comptrollers..

Also if anyone has any Toronto specific questions I'm happy to help. If you've never been before and you're looking for some nice spots to check out (if you're not playing 94' all weekend that is) drop me a line and I'd be happy to make some recommendations.

missed you lots bud...glad you're back.

So far players registered from

Saskatchewan (3)

Manitoba(1)

Alberta(2)

North west territories(1)

Ontario (8)

Pennsylvania (1)

Nevada(1)

New york (1)

New jersey (1)

Michigan(1)

....How about Tru...?

not this time. dollars and borders and time and.... I'm still hoping the NY area one makes sense when it comes about. sorry! you'll just have to imagine my presence in the documentary, wrong as it may seem to not have me featured prominently as the villain that turns out to be the hero at the end.

I'm signed up boys - looking forward to this for sure. Thanks for the early sign-up Mikey!

man, if I still lived there we'd talk carpool. I've never been to Canadia; do I need a passport or is a US State ID enough?