NHL'94 Forums

The Toronto NHL '94 Tournament Registration is now OPEN!

McMikey

I'm signed up boys - looking forward to this for sure. Thanks for the early sign-up Mikey!

YES!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SNES signups keeping pace with Genesis! Is this real life!

haha....this might be real life bud. (I dont think it will last though)

42 gens and 42 snes buds so far...who would've thought the SNESers would be even steven at this point?

This sounds awesome but I really wish there was a list of the names of the players who signed up. Any of the SNES league stalwarts like grayto, annatar, oilers, kudelski, c4, etc. Most importantly, what about Fenty? Can you sign up for both gens and snes?

Also, what the hell are the rules going to be? I wouldn't be too stoked it I fly from Oregon to Toronto and it ends up being Auto goalies with line changes and offsides on. What about the prize pool? The website is pretty vague and very strangely formatted as well. I'm surprised so many are willing to toss $45 in without knowing any of this.

Anyway, I'm tempted but $400 round trip plus hotel makes me pretty hesitant. Would love to meet some buds and do some live 2v2 if things work out.

P.S. sorry to Hali for not getting signed up for Dynasty season 2 and to UncleSeth for not finishing my gens playoff series with you last year.

Edited by NorthwayNative

This sounds awesome but I really wish there was a list of the names of the players who signed up. Any of the SNES league stalwarts like grayto, annatar, oilers, kudelski, c4, etc. Most importantly, what about Fenty? Can you sign up for both gens and snes?

Also, what the hell are the rules going to be? I wouldn't be too stoked it I fly from Oregon to Toronto and it ends up being Auto goalies with line changes and offsides on. What about the prize pool? The website is pretty vague and very strangely formatted as well. I'm surprised so many are willing to toss $45 in without knowing any of this.

Anyway, I'm tempted but $400 round trip plus hotel makes me pretty hesitant. Would love to meet some buds and do some live 2v2 if things work out.

P.S. sorry to Hali for not getting signed up for Dynasty season 2 and to UncleSeth for not finishing my gens playoff series with you last year.

certainly fair points bud. I emailed the rules and tournament format to mikey at like 1:30am in the morning last night. When he gets some time, he'll post them up.

It's classic rules for game settings.

Of the players you mentioned, only bobk has signed up. I doubt grayto will be there as he lives in asia. And I cant see fenty coming either. I've still got a lot of email spamming to do bud. ;)

I don't have answers to all your questions bud. In due time.

1.In Game Settings: 5 minute periods, no offsides, penalties on, no line changes, manual goalie
2.Selecting Teams: A coin flip will take place. The coin flip 'winner' must select two different teams that will play. All stars teams are ineligible. The coin flip 'loser' picks their team from the choices provided and is the home team for that game.
3.The coin flip 'winner' cannot call that same matchup of teams for the rest of the tournament. (The other player could still select that matchup for a future game.) Ex. Player A wins the coin toss and selects Chicago vs Boston, Player A can't select that matchup again, Player B could still pick Chicago vs Boston later on in the tournament.
4.If the same two players meet later in the tournament, then no coin flip would take place. They would automatically reverse the previous coin flip results, so the previous coin flip winner is now coin flip loser. If they meet for a third time then they reverse 'coin flip results' again, and so on.
5.If there's a system malfunction, then restart the game with that score and play the number of periods that were remaining (a partial period would count as a full period).
6.Any game that is still tied after overtime will reset the game play until someone scores. (player injuries, penalties wont carry over from the previous game).
7.Any player that gets up by 10 goals at any point in the game will win the game by mercy rule.
8.There will be 'referees' monitoring each game to ensure fair play and resolve any 'disputes' not covered under the rules.
9.Controllers will be provided however you may bring your own controller provided it's an original game pad controller (no third party controllers, etc.). You will need to notify us upon registering that you have a controller.

so, I get why most beginners opt away from complications, but I always wonder why semipro players don't mostly play with all options on, especially fatigue. if this is for the real crowning of the king, why is the game dumbed down like it's everybody's first time playing?

so, I get why most beginners opt away from complications, but I always wonder why semipro players don't mostly play with all options on, especially fatigue. if this is for the real crowning of the king, why is the game dumbed down like it's everybody's first time playing?

I agree with the fatigue part. However when playing with line changes, people just pick Sc1 and Sc2. I remember playing against Raph and Labs and they never used the Chk line. It's best to leave them off since people are just looking to abuse it.

This is not really the king of '94, it's a get together for the filming of a documentary. Not surprised really.

Fatigue on changes the game completely.

It's played by 99% of all users w/ fatigue off for 20 plus years, so if you were doing a best of the best, you would not play under new rules.

Using the check button is a speed burst on defense. It also quickly fatigues your team. Most guys don't even know which players have good endurance or bad, since they've not played with these settings. So again, it's cool to every now & then join a league that changes things up, but specifically speaking, a tourney for '94 involving anyone not just from a group of dudes getting together in a basement should be with the same settings 99% of all users have been using for a solid 20 plus years now.

I mean, it has been 20 years, and during all this time, everyone keeps playing with line changes off & offsides off for a reason.

To me, a world wide invite and promoted to bring the best of the best together is clearly a King of '94. If you choose to not show up, that is not surprising. The rest of it just sounds like more of the same I've heard before in different argumentative directions.

why is the game dumbed down like it's everybody's first time playing?

Specifically to this point, I don't feel playing w/ lines off is a dumbed down version because it requires a faster pace and more skill.

Checking w/ fatigue off is massive and constant, and the need to skate & pass at higher rates is evident, and it also has much higher scoring rates (fatigued players don't shoot as hard, so about 30 seconds into a line shift, the blue line can quickly be a very lessened option).

While it is "less like" real hockey, it is more like NHL '94 to most of us, and very far away from dumbed down for me.

To Halifax and Mikey,

Great job. This is going to be awesome!

Gonna have to be Ducks as the opinions will be coming your way.

Opinions and A--holes.

Everyone coming to Toronto should read what Segathon posted and I reposted below.

Everyone not coming should read it twice.

And if you want the Cliff Notes, just read this part.

Don't be a jerk!

The Comprehensive Guide to Being a Madison Tecmo Rookie

Hello. If you're reading this, you're likely signed up for Madison Tecmo XI: Apocalipps Now. Congrats. Many of you have played in this grand championship before, but there are plenty who have not. For those who have not, here are bits and pieces of collected wisdom for anybody making their debut. Before we get to the point by point gibberish, this needs to be said-

You're not going to win the tournament.

Seriously man. I know you're good and I respect that. But you're not going to win the tournament.

But, but, but, but... No. You're not going to win the tournament.

I cannot stress this enough. You're not going to win the tournament. On the morning of Tecmo XI, there are probably 225 or so (give or take) of the 256 contests whom you could look in the eyes as they arrive and tell them with a straight face "You have absolutely no shot to win this thing." (And that's not me trash-talking by any stretch. Believe me, I'm very firmly one of those 225 guys on the outside). What I've found in my X number of years in this tourney is that the guys who come in truly believing they'll be crowned champion, despite never having played in Madison (let alone another tourney), tend to be the jerks that everyone remembers. I've always believed that we will never see an unknown or first-timer come in off the street and win this tourney. If you're making your debut and you're psyching yourself up and dreaming of raising the trophy, the faster you get that out of your head, the faster you'll actually enjoy the experience.

"The experience" is the key phrase here. Outside of those 20-30 guys who could conceivably win the tourney, the real draw of Madison is the experience of it. Until you see a swarm of 400+ people surrounding 30+ televisions for 12 hours, you can't yet appreciate the electricity or the IMMENSE PRESSURE of playing in these games (this isn't you and Smitty from college drinking a 12er and playing a 7 game series on a Wednesday. Your heart will be pumping from the moment you arrive). For those of us who can't win, there's a list of 5 "Goals" you should follow on March 7:

1) Have fun. There are 256 pretty cool guys (give or take icon_smile.gif who all love playing the same game that have gathered together. Embrace that. Talk to them. Buy someone a drink, chat about strategy, past tournaments, yadda yadda yadda. The most important thing you should take away from Madison when you wake up on Sunday was "Damn, that was a lot of fun."

2) Pay attention. So, you're a rookie. You're not going to win (have I mentioned that yet?). But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to walk away from the tournament as a better player. When you're not playing, watch other games. Examine the playbooks people use. Keep a vague tally of matchups you see called that make you go "Hmmm, interesting. I may try that one." See how guys hit hot routes on called plays. Watch some of the better defensive players in the tournament and pay attention to who they use on defense and the angles they use to stop plays. If you liked how some guy played and want to emulate their style, wait until some point in the day when you see them not deep in conversation and then introduce yourself. Tell them you admire their play. Pick their brains, ask questions. Don't get clingy (nobody likes a tagalong), but use those 12 hours of Tecmo to take in as much advice (and booze) as possible.

(Notice how the "Goals" haven't yet mentioned anything about your own gameplay?)

3) Win a game. This should be the base goal of every player in the tourney. Win a game. 25% of the field will go 0-2. If you win a game as a rookie, you should walk away from the day feeling proud, regardless of how the rest of your tourney played out.

4) Win 2 games. So you won a game. Nice job. Think about what worked for you in that game and what didn't. Make an adjustment and try to win a 2nd game. I mentioned 25% of the field will go 0-2. Important to note that another 25% will go 1-2. That means if you can win 2 games, you finished ahead of 50% of the field. That's nothing to scoff at for a first timer. It's a huge deal, actually. Walk around with your head held high.

5) Make the bracket. You have to go either 3-0 or 3-1 to make the final 64. Assume that roughly 40-45 of those spots can be written in pen (we all know who they are), so that leaves between 19 and 24 or so spots truly up for grabs. A large bulk of those will be claimed by guys who don't have the capacity to win the whole thing, but have previous Madison experience, so they overcame the intimidation to make the cut. If you can claim one of those last remaining spots as a rookie, you need to be very, very proud of what you accomplished.

If you don't make the bracket, who cares. Stick around and watch the games, make friends, enjoy the atmosphere.

6) Win your own "Super Bowl." This goal falls under both Pool Play and Bracket Play. The 225 of us who cannot win the entire tournament have to focus on smaller, step-by-step battles. We won't make the championship, but there's a really good chance you are going to play someone who's in that elite category. That's your Super Bowl. That's the big one. If you can knock a big name out, man, who gives a s**t if you win it all at that point, ya know? You ruined so-and-so's day! You're a giant killer! A couple years ago I faced off against Chris Vogt in the opening round of 64. I KNEW that was my Super Bowl. I played that game like a motherfucker and came up 4 pts short. But I felt good afterwards (mostly because Chris is a solid human being and that made for a really fun game), because I got a chance to go heads-up with a big name and I took him to the wire.

We all know who some of the big fish are, so no need to name names and start little turf wars about who is "a name" and who isn't. That's not the point. The point is you'll just KNOW when you're about to go up against a monster. That's your Super Bowl. Embrace it.

7) The last and final goal, Don't be a jerk. Tecmo is a Gentleman's Game. This isn't the Madden Nation tour bus on ESPN from a few years ago where guys swing their dicks in each others' faces after scores. Celebrate properly when something good happens, don't flip out when something bad happens. That's Tecmo. We've all been there. Shake hands after the game and move on. Have fun. Both in playing the game and enjoying the surroundings. In past years, the Herd Mentality of the collective group can tell who the jerks are. Don't be one of them.

Hopefully this all helps and doesn't come off as too preachy. Just know that, as a rookie, the experience and atmosphere is the biggest thing you'll take away from this. I started playing in this tournament many years ago when I was still a Milwaukee/Chicago guy. I've lived in New York for 3 years and have gone back every single year. Not because I think my name can be etched in the Hall of Champions, but because it's fun as hell. Hopefully you'll walk out of the Badger Bowl on Saturday evening feeling the same way.

This is not really the king of '94, it's a get together for the filming of a documentary. Not surprised really.

Prove us wrong. Show up.. Win and then you can make the rules for King of 94 2nd Period 2016

I realize that it's what most people play, even if the "99%" exaggeration is hyperbolic. it was a question about why people stick with that choice. thanks for the second response, answering with reason and thought.

Fatigue on changes the game completely.

It's played by 99% of all users w/ fatigue off for 20 plus years, so if you were doing a best of the best, you would not play under new rules.

Using the check button is a speed burst on defense. It also quickly fatigues your team. Most guys don't even know which players have good endurance or bad, since they've not played with these settings. So again, it's cool to every now & then join a league that changes things up, but specifically speaking, a tourney for '94 involving anyone not just from a group of dudes getting together in a basement should be with the same settings 99% of all users have been using for a solid 20 plus years now.

I mean, it has been 20 years, and during all this time, everyone keeps playing with line changes off & offsides off for a reason.

To me, a world wide invite and promoted to bring the best of the best together is clearly a King of '94. If you choose to not show up, that is not surprising. The rest of it just sounds like more of the same I've heard before in different argumentative directions.

This seems a bit extreme. Fatigues on doesn't change the game completely. Did you play TDL? I didn't notice a difference in the results. I noticed a difference in less players mashing the C button and being cheesy abusing C checks. Another plus is that the players that are way too fast become nullified by fatigue over the course of a shift. You also don't play against top players all the time, so more skill comes out.

Also, playing with something a majority of the time doesn't mean it's the best. Wasn't Blitz played for 8 seasons with s**t rules?

Edited by Premium

Prove us wrong. Show up.. Win and then you can make the rules for King of 94 2nd Period 2016

Me winning doesn't prove anything. You just want to film me lol. No thanks :) come to my house

Edited by Premium

I realize that it's what most people play, even if the "99%" exaggeration is hyperbolic. it was a question about why people stick with that choice. thanks for the second response, answering with reason and thought.

Also think of it for time purposes. With offsides on, there will be a ton more play stoppages because of it (sometimes the CPU isn't too smart). This will drag the games out, and with the amount of games being played in one day, can make a difference.

As far as line changes, I wouldn't care either way. I prefer line changes off though, because this allows you to have the best players on the ice at the same time, all the time. Some of these guys playing swap out players mid game as many times as they blink, and I can't imagine what it would be like playing against someone doing that with line changes on.

I'd rather get a few great games in than many hurried ones, but I get why time is a concern in this format. it must be hard to run such an endeavor.

OK sorry for trolling, but I just don't think the tournament seems all to serious. I should have just said it like that.

hahahahahahahaha Oh MY GOD This is priceless...

Ok I Know better then answering trolling forum comments. But seriously tens of thousands of dollars are being spent making this tournament awesome and one of a kind. YOUR forum buddies are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to come to this event at the worlds largest sports bar in Toronto. We are having real NHL'ers and the guys that made THE GAME ITSELF coming to see the people that made the game legendary by keeping it alive these 20 plus years. We came up with the rules from suggestions from YOU guys at NHL94.com. Not everyone will be happy I understand this. Staying at home and playing with yourself is everyones right and seems way more "serious" hahaha

Edited by McMikey

A few things I want to touch on...

1) is this a one off thing.

2) how many prominent players are going to be there.

1) I think there's a good chance we will do it again in 2016.

2) unsure at this time.

hahahahahahahaha Oh MY GOD This is priceless...

Ok I Know better then answering trolling forum comments. But seriously tens of thousands of dollars are being spent making this tournament awesome and one of a kind. YOUR forum buddies are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to come to this event at the worlds largest sports bar in Toronto. We are having real NHL'ers and the guys that made THE GAME ITSELF coming to see the people that made the game legendary by keeping it alive these 20 plus years. We came up with the rules from suggestions from YOU guys at NHL94.com. Not everyone will be happy I understand this. Staying at home and playing with yourself is everyones right and seems way more "serious" hahaha

Don't pay too much attention to Premium, he was banned from the forums for a year+ due to constantly being an ass to everyone. Overcompetitive overopinionated teenager.

YOUR forum buddies are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to come to this event at the worlds largest sports bar in Toronto.

Do we know the actual exact location?

Because....

it'd be great if the '94 community that is attending would be in the same hotel or close location.

I am flying to Buffalo on Thursday the 10th and plan to be in Toronto, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night.

Do we know the actual exact location?

Because....

I am flying to Buffalo on Thursday the 10th and plan to be in Toronto, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night.

Its nott 100% official yet, I will hear more Monday/Tuesday. But we are (and very very close ) booking a place called "Real Sports" that is right across from the Air Canada Centre. Which means the closet and best hotel is the Delta. BUT i haven't said anything official until I can say 100% its booked.