NHL'94 Forums

The Toronto NHL '94 Tournament Registration is now OPEN!

McMikey

Don't pay too much attention to Premium, he was banned from the forums for a year+ due to constantly being an ass to everyone. Overcompetitive overopinionated teenager.

Funny thing is he was never unbanned....just created a 3rd account "Premium". Mods too lazy to remove :rolleyes: , but he's been pretty tame.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its nott 100% official yet, I will hear more Monday/Tuesday. But we are (and very very close ) booking a place called "Real Sports" that is right across from the Air Canada Centre. Which means the closet and best hotel is the Delta. BUT i haven't said anything official until I can say 100% its booked.

Thanks. Looking forward to the Final word.

My turn to be over-opinionated!

so, I get why most beginners opt away from complications, but I always wonder why semipro players don't mostly play with all options on, especially fatigue. if this is for the real crowning of the king, why is the game dumbed down like it's everybody's first time playing?

I get where you're coming from, playing with lines and offsides and longer periods is pretty intense and involved, and requires a lot of detail and knowledge and management. I still remember my lines on, 20 minute periods, best-of-7 playoffs with Quebec back when I got the game.

A friend and I played a massive season of 13 games with each and every team, and we used lines Off, penalties On. We tried playing with line changes, but it just felt slow. So I think the main reason people play without line changes, is simply because the gameplay is faster, and they find that more fun.

That said, Clockwise's NHL 91 line changes on league (94 ROM, 91 rosters) was a great league, and did feel quite serious and intense. And I would love to see a line changes league that used the +/- stat I hacked into the ROM. The first league I played in had 7-minute periods and line changes, as well.

Maybe down the road we could have a line changes On part of the tournament, that would be neat. I'm not sure how much it would change the results, though.

I think for this tourney, being the first really big one, and hoping to bring new people in to the community, definitely want to keep it accessible and use simple rules.

One big reason for not using lines: setting up your lines every game is really annoying. SC1/2/3, PP1/2, PK1/2.. ugh.

swos would probably have some good comments on this, since I think they tended to use full rules in the Finnish leagues... and it's possibly his line changes experience that makes him and other Finnish players so good.

I agree with the fatigue part. However when playing with line changes, people just pick Sc1 and Sc2. I remember playing against Raph and Labs and they never used the Chk line. It's best to leave them off since people are just looking to abuse it.

You have a pattern of not structuring your arguments to support your conclusions... The abuse thing just comes out of nowhere and the justification is weak (not using the Chk line outweighs you agreeing with fatigue?) :P.

Specifically to this point, I don't feel playing w/ lines off is a dumbed down version because it requires a faster pace and more skill.

Not sure it can be said that line changes on or off requires more skill. Some different skills, maybe. Quicker play required with lines off, but more player knowledge and fatigue management required for line changes, and with tired players, scoring must be harder.

Not a fan of calling the usual rules dumbed down, it's not like people can't play that way or they think it's too complicated/confusing like a german board game -- they just don't want to.

Also, playing with something a majority of the time doesn't mean it's the best. Wasn't Blitz played for 8 seasons with s**t rules?

Ah yes, a league that many said was their favourite, a franchise league that you only played 1 season in in the period you are criticizing, had s**t rules of course :P. No league is going to please everyone. Blitz was a franchise-ish league with the goal of parity within the A and B levels brought about through draft order. Your team evolved over time, it was a unique league (I don't know what the current rules are -- quite impressed by the Blitz 10 "B" league parity though). Not wanting that formula doesn't make it s**t anymore than classic always using the same teams makes classic s**t, or GDL being completely different each season makes it s**t. It did take forever to play a season, though.

GDL is not s**t because standard fantasy snake drafts are normal. People play with those rules for money and it's widely recognized. If you took any hardcore fantasy player and showed them GDL, they would understand.

Blitz on the other hand, full of holes and gaps, made no sense. The protect system was bad.

I think it's liked because it uses the weight fix, is split up into A/B and now everyone can C-check the opposition. I'm sure for most people, the C-check is a big factor in determining how fun the game is. That's how it seems at least.

Edited by Premium

hahahahahahahaha Oh MY GOD This is priceless...

Ok I Know better then answering trolling forum comments. But seriously tens of thousands of dollars are being spent making this tournament awesome and one of a kind. YOUR forum buddies are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to come to this event at the worlds largest sports bar in Toronto. We are having real NHL'ers and the guys that made THE GAME ITSELF coming to see the people that made the game legendary by keeping it alive these 20 plus years. We came up with the rules from suggestions from YOU guys at NHL94.com. Not everyone will be happy I understand this. Staying at home and playing with yourself is everyones right and seems way more "serious" hahaha

I meant that it is not as serious compared to other video game tournaments. Not trying to troll, but it's the truth. No room for 300-500 people (at least)? 128 players (64 each) is really weak. 64 players and 20+ games going on at once is what my local college gathers for a video game tournament.

With 40+ setups, you should have enough time to ensure 400 players get at least 22 games over two days with plenty of sleep in between (round robin, assuming all matchups are best-of-3 and 10 minutes long), then on the final day you could do the top 64 in 12-14 hours (assuming all matchups are best of 7 and there is a game 7 in every round of the bracket, and also asumming when it's time for the top 8, all games are played at separate times so everyone can watch on two setups (one for the guys who want to watch GENS, one for the guys who want to watch SNES) then the Finals will be screened on one setup, so both GENS and SNES fans will watch the finals of both consoles.

Since the price entry is $45 and the tournament is so cool and full of NHL players. I would expect each console's (assuming an even amount of players between the two, if not just add the diffrrencr) first place winners to be walking home with at least $8000, runner-ups with $2800, $980 for the semi-finalists, or if you want third place games, $1400 for third, $560 for fourth, $210 for the remaining top 8 losers.

Mostly everyone should be back at their homes before 7AM on the Monday :)

Edited by Premium

Are we allowed to spread the good word to 94 players who are not a part of this website or are we still in an early signup phase?

yes of course, tell your buds!

This sounds like a great time, but not targeted or meant for people my age. I'll stick to online play from the safety of my home.

I meant that it is not as serious compared to other video game tournaments. Not trying to troll, but it's the truth. No room for 300-500 people (at least)? 128 players (64 each) is really weak. 64 players and 20+ games going on at once is what my local college gathers for a video game tournament.

You have a point, but lets play in the real world for a second. NHL '94 is not a massively popular game or there would already be 500 people tournaments like Street Fighter, Smash Bro's or even the modern sports games. Comparing apples to apples Super Techno bowl is one of the most popular retro system sports games ever, focused on the most profitable league in the world and with tournaments hosted in Football territory and after many years of having events they can get 200+ people with maybe 50 true competitors. We would want 500 people to show up, it fact if that happened we would modify and adjust to make it happen. But on the 1st go in a Canadian city, we can't get those numbers. If we were in a southern college and kids just have to walk out of their dorms, sure we mite get big numbers, but would they be the best players? We have a group of 43 die hard fans coming in from now over 13 States/Provinces so far on day 4 of the site being up. From a stats point of view that is a way better talent pool then 43 random guys at a bar. I'm really really hoping that we get so awesome players that come out of nowhere, but the truth is and we know it someone here on NHL94.com has the highest chance of winning no matter how big the pool of players we can get on the best day. The demo for NHL 94 is unique... very unique and that whys i'm making a movie about it. Its truly special and for the people that can make this tournament, one person will go home a winner but my goal is for everyone to have the greatest time possible.

one winner? how is that done? switching systems back and forth until an off-system win is had? that could take weeks.

one winner? how is that done? switching systems back and forth until an off-system win is had? that could take weeks.

Very very good question and one that we have been working with. No matter what way we do it one system will have an advantage. Our original idea was to have a best out of seven with the game 7 (if needed) would be played on the system that has the most people sign up for. So voted by the players as the most desired system to play on. The main problem with a best of seven series is time. 15mins *7 = is an hour and 45 mis of gameplay at the longest time. To get this whole event done in one day and still have it exciting for the fans and players we have moved to a best of 3. Which still means 45 mins of live game play. At this high level we are hoping that last two players are great on both systems and really it comes down to who is the better at both. BUT there will be clear winner for each system SNES and Gens. I have talked to most of the high end guys and they are focussing on winning their System over the whole event. The final series is icing on the cake. The more people that sign up for your system the better chance you get to win the whole event.

This is not set in stone and we are very open to suggestions from the community if you guys know a better way that doesn't take a lot of time (under an hour). We will look at it

Hm what about total goals in an equal number of games on each system? The goal totals from the Genesis and SNES leagues are pretty similar. So if say the SNES player dominates on SNES and is relatively competitive on Genesis, he'd get the King of '94 moniker.

* I stole this idea from.. umm.. Halifax or BobKudelski I think

Hm what about total goals in an equal number of games on each system? The goal totals from the Genesis and SNES leagues are pretty similar. So if say the SNES player dominates on SNES and is relatively competitive on Genesis, he'd get the King of '94 moniker.

Good Idea, but could still turn out tied.

One game playoff of NHL 92 if still tied. :grimace:

I suppose you could do -- see new replies -- what Smoz typed. one of each, total goals or differential, repeat until somebody leads after an even number of games played.

or, building off of CoachMac's idea... the PC and/or Sega CD versions used to crown one of last two sitting.

or, building off of CoachMac's idea... the PC and/or Sega CD versions used to crown one of last two sitting.

Great idea and this was my original idea, I wanted the PC version to be the tie breaker... But the main problem is both the CD and MS Dos versions of NHL '94 are Sega based, once again its a un fair to the SNES guys... Its a hard one

Edited by McMikey

If we do the Dos version. what physical set up do you guys think would work the best?

oh what about Mutant Hockey League hahaha

i donno anybody who plays dos or MHL

also there should be something for 2v2

Edited by donnybrook

Don't worry about P(labax)remium. Even though he tells me that he probably won't go to this tourney, I have a strong feeling that he's gonna be there. Trust me on this one.

Also, looking at the pie chart on the sign up page, 13 people said that they can beat kingraph lollllll. Much cocky

Plabax was basically preaching the same things I said. I didn't read through all of this. That being said the goal of the tournament should be maximum playing time thus fun and ensuring a true winner. Whatever that entails, but if the tournament doesn't take a full day, I will be sad, as will the entourage I am bringing.

Tecmo Bowl is an older game, and I don't think anywhere near as remembered as NHL 94. It obviously has a better tournament scene for whatever reason, but search for best sports games? 94 is routinely named the best.

We'll see how sign ups go.

Edited by kylewat

Plabax was basically preaching the same things I said. I didn't read through all of this. That being said the goal of the tournament should be maximum playing time this fun and ensuring a true winner. Whatever that entails, but if the tournament doesn't take a full day, I will be sad, as will the entourage I am bringing.

Right now with our math and using 8 SNES and 8 Gens for 128 players (each playing a guarantee 3 games) we are showing with a start time of 9am the final game with the last two will start around 8pm and play for a better part of an hour. so that a full 12 hours of game play plus we are planing an after party for the survivors. We want to stick to that 12 hour day because frankly there are a lot of people that are working to make this event happen and they will have to be there early to set up and stay later to take down. If more people sign up we will expand the space and add more systems to make it all happen in that time frame.

Tecmo Bowl is an older game, and I don't think anywhere near as remembered as NHL 94. It obviously has a better tournament scene for whatever reason, but search for best sports games? 94 is routinely named the best.

Don't get me wrong I love NHL '94 as we all do. NHL '94 It is by far a better game. BUT they other guys have American Football on the most classic system. It has lots of followers and already has documentaries about it. Its got a head start on us but if we all work hard we can crush that grey cartridge!!!!

signups suggest you may be replacing it with another grey cartridge. thanks to Halifax, of course, but your black monstrosity isn't winning, yet.

signups suggest you may be replacing it with another grey cartridge. thanks to Halifax, of course, but your black monstrosity isn't winning, yet.

Tru, you are by far the most vocal. Will we be seeing you in TO?

During the tourney we should do a staged brawl between the Sega vs Nintendo players to give that documentary some extra 'oomph'

Hahaha They way things are going I don't think we will have to "stage" anything... just keep the cameras in focus :)