NHL'94 Forums

The Toronto NHL '94 Tournament Registration is now OPEN!

McMikey

Got it! As it turns out, the 45 minutes saved by eliminating the Group of 8 Finals matches is consumed perfectly by constricting the Final 16s to only use 4 consoles per system. Mass and Energy is conserved; Universe does not ex- or im-plode.

(I should point out that this is just my guess, trying to visualize how things will go, but it's not up to me how any of it goes :))

• 8:00AM: Registration and orientation.

• 9:00AM: Morning group: 11 sets of games gets it down to the top 2 in each group. (+2.75 hr)

• 11:45AM: Intermission, 1 hour: have some presentations about the game, introduce the guests, bit of a recap of the morning games. Orientation for afternoon group. (+1.0 hr)

• 12:45AM: Afternoon group: 11 sets of games to get down to top 2 in each group (+2.75 hr)

• 3:30PM: Seeding for finals: The top 2 from each group from the morning and afternoon need to play each other to decide the #1 and #2 seed from that group.
  • 3:30PM: Intermission: 15 mins to set up the finals and whatnot (+0.25 hr)

• 3:45PM: Final 16, 9 rounds to eliminate down to top 3 per console. At most only half the consoles are in use for this stage, to give more focus (+2.25 hr)

• 6:00PM: SNES semi-final on the big screen

• 6:15PM: Genesis semi-final on the big screen

• 6:30PM: SNES Final on the big screen

• 6:45PM: Genesis Final on the big screen

• 7:00PM: King of '94 SNES vs Genesis (assuming 2 games, total goals)

• 7:30PM: Prizes

• 7:45PM: Thanks-yous and goodbyes (.... = 12.0 hr)

• 8:00PM: DRUNK 2ON2

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off Plabax being the best is debatable he uses keyboard and says he uses controller sometimes which there is no way of telling. I see keyboarders having no chance at winning this. 2nd any version of nhl94 that doesnt have manual gc is not 94 so pc version is useless in this argument. ...........ive never played nhl94 with snes .....the d pad looks like it would hinder angling

Premium keeps saying 4 consoles. I find this interesting. (Clockwise would know because he has done the research) why would you even included SNES in the top 5.... intertain me with an answer this to question. Oh question #2 are you coming?

here is a tip, when I say Gens vs SNES I'm dumming it down.

Edited by McMikey

Ok guys i think about it! Someone can tell me what is the nearest airport( i think there s 2 ones in Toronto) and is there a hotel where guys from communauty think to be???

If i do it it will be a long trip for me so i got to organize this very quickly!!!

Thx guys!!!

Ok guys i think about it! Someone can tell me what is the nearest airport( i think there s 2 ones in Toronto) and is there a hotel where guys from communauty think to be???

If i do it it will be a long trip for me so i got to organize this very quickly!!!

Thx guys!!!

Holding off on hotels for now to see if Mikey gets a discount rate for this event. Hope to see you there!

EDIT: I also don't know about the airports...I'm flying into Billy Bishop (YTZ), I hope that isn't too far, lol.

Ok that s what i thought! Lester B Pearson airport! I will do my best to be here King! It seems to be possible. I just look at the flights today and it's decent price so for one time in a life!!!

Ok that s what i thought! Lester B Pearson airport! I will do my best to be here King! It seems to be possible. I just look at the flights today and it's decent price so for one time in a life!!!

i think billy bishop airport is the one you want, not pearson

Smozoma has made a new thread to help people connect and get to the tournament. This is a great idea. I'll post any news on hotel deals there.

Halifax and I have got all your guys ideas and we are working on hammering out Cash Prize structure/trophies. We will put more focus on each systems winner and plan out an exciting finish for the bragging rights to choose which player reigns king until next year.

Remember if anyone has any questions or suggestions, please send me an email mikeymcbryan@gmail.com I have been in contact with a lot of you guys one on one through email and it helps me out quite a bit. See ya in Toronto!

wizard.jpg

Halifax and I have got all your guys ideas and we are working on hammering out Cash Prize structure/trophies. We will put more focus on each systems winner and plan out an exciting finish for the bragging rights to choose which player reigns king until next year.

Exactly what I was hoping for :)

An update on my status, I still very much want to attend this event and will likely be able to do so. Just waiting a little bit longer than some other guys so I have a better idea of my schedule around the time of the tournament.

My 2 cents on the grand champion debate largely echos what Coach said. There is 3 months between now and the tournament which is plenty of time to get acquainted with the other system. Back when I made the transition it took maybe 10-15 games for me to feel comfortable and get competitive in the SNES scene. I've never won an SNES league but there haven't been many instances where I've just been utterly outclassed by a top SNES player.

While it may be tougher for a SNES player to make a transition to GENS, there is still time do so successfully. Just get those exhis in and learn some of the nuances of GENS game play. There is an entire section devoted to lineup construction in the forum and that should be a great head start in learning some of the major lineups to use and possible matchups to consider. There are also countless youtube videos to watch where top players face off each against each other. Experience can be gained by watching what they do to be successful and instances where their weaknesses can get exploited.

I'd be more than happy to talk with anyone about making the transition, feel free to PM me a message through NHL 94 or drop a note on AIM. I want to have the highest level of competition possible at the event and am willing to help anyone and everyone to achieve that goal.

As soon as hotel is confirmed and I can confirm I can 100% get out of work, I'll probably be reserve some type of suite to maximize the late night games for Friday night.

If there are some dudes that run out of cash in route & find themselves in need of a couch to crash on, the suites usually come with some extra furniture, so PM me or email me or whatever.

**no bed sharing "Planes, Trains & Automobile" style though & no crazy Lone Wolf style spiking the drinks or calling up hookers!!!

lol, just laughing at the thought. Maybe I should just say no SNES guys, and that would cover my concerns :)

First off Plabax being the best is debatable he uses keyboard and says he uses controller sometimes which there is no way of telling. I see keyboarders having no chance at winning this. 2nd any version of nhl94 that doesnt have manual gc is not 94 so pc version is useless in this argument. ...........ive never played nhl94 with snes .....the d pad looks like it would hinder angling

How different is a keyboard from a controller? It is just a preference. NHL '94 has controls a baby can pick up, it's very straightforward. That's why the new EA NHL games have "NHL '94 controls" for the mentally challenged, it's just three buttons and four directions!

The fact that you cannot tell if I use a keyboard or a controller only proves the fact that the advantage isn't there. D-pad (controller) vs Arrow Keys (keyboard).. The same thing. I have never noticed the difference between a controller and a keyboard when playing NHL '94. Anyone who has played another game with the arrow keys before won't have a problem either.

As soon as hotel is confirmed and I can confirm I can 100% get out of work, I'll probably be reserve some type of suite to maximize the late night games for Friday night.

If there are some dudes that run out of cash in route & find themselves in need of a couch to crash on, the suites usually come with some extra furniture, so PM me or email me or whatever.

**no bed sharing "Planes, Trains & Automobile" style though & no crazy Lone Wolf style spiking the drinks or calling up hookers!!!

lol, just laughing at the thought. Maybe I should just say no SNES guys, and that would cover my concerns :)

Was thinking something similar w/ suite. I was checking out entire apartments via airbnb.com. Cheaper and much more condusive to all-night gaming. Plenty of spots nearby. However, if it's arranged to have a few consoles set up at a bar, that works too.

if you go the suite route count me in, I'll split it with you. I can bring up my console too.

Was thinking something similar w/ suite. I was checking out entire apartments via airbnb.com. Cheaper and much more condusive to all-night gaming. Plenty of spots nearby. However, if it's arranged to have a few consoles set up at a bar, that works too.

Hey King i thought about it too. Airbnb would be a good thing to think about!!! If there is some people intersted by that!!! I can share a suite too if it's possible!!!

Dougie is in the house.

Signed up boys. Look forward to Toronto in September!

I've got custom license plates, Blackhawk plates w/ DUGGY (in illinois you can only use 6 letters). I'm waiting on my custom frame made that reads at the top, "Teach Me How To".

Now I'm going to have to get a second frame made, NHL94.com at the top of the frame, and Brutus at the bottom, and use that as my avatar I think. Maybe drive my arse all the way up!!! (just kidding on that. I think the gas would cost more than an airplane ticket in my car)

Edited by Brutus

i think billy bishop airport is the one you want, not pearson

While billy bishop is the Toronto island downtown airport, it only has smaller flights from the east coast. Not many airlines fly there.

Pearson is the big international airport.

There is now a brand new train line that cost like $27 one way to get you to Union station downtown in 25 minutes.

There is still the option to take the TTC (local transit) for $3, you take the 192 Airport Express Rocket to Kipling station and subway it from there.

Or shell out for a cab, it will probably run you around $50.

For Hotels hotwire is always solid. Downtown hotels usually cost significantly more than suburb/near airport hotels. Air BNB is another option if a bunch of tournament guys want to rent out a full apartment or even a house.

I'm on the fence, somebody convince me to go!

It's a good excuse to visit the Hockey Hall of Fame?

It's gonna be better than the Hall of Fame anyway?

Tired of beautiful Montreal womens?

If you book now, you can probably take the train, round trip, for just ~$120 depending on the departure hour.