NHL'94 Forums

Has anything changed with emulator technology since 2008?

Hello,

I was around briefly in 2008 and I remember at least 2 things:

1)Connecting was a pain in the ass, connection problems, lag, .................

2)Arranging games was also quite difficult.

Anyways, do you guys still use the same tools for connecting and playing games? Or have there been improvements?

Read the "Getting started" page on nhl94online.com. The following will be covered there.

Not sure what was in 2008, but download the complete GENS package from nhl94online.com. Includes emulator, kaillera.dll file for netplay, and hamachi in one easy download.

We use Hamachi (a free software, but you have to create an account at logmein.com) to connect P2P. It simplifies things to make the P2P connection easy.

Communication for games is mainly done with AIM (AOL instant messenger). So create an AIM name and let us know. I will add you to the group chat where you can shout out for exhibition games.

Welcome back!

Hey Legend,

I am in Toronto. I play now and again with a friend here on a real Genesis. You interested in hooking up in person?

Like you, I tried the online league several years ago and also had a bad experience. In addition to being a PITA to get configured, I found the emulated play to be much different than the real deal.

Allo aqualizard,

I will keep that in mind :) Maybe we can...

I'm gonna try the online thing for a bit. But yes, it is a pain in the ass.

You were good the online thing.

Read the "Getting started" page on nhl94online.com. The following will be covered there.

Not sure what was in 2008, but download the complete GENS package from nhl94online.com. Includes emulator, kaillera.dll file for netplay, and hamachi in one easy download.

We use Hamachi (a free software, but you have to create an account at logmein.com) to connect P2P. It simplifies things to make the P2P connection easy.

Communication for games is mainly done with AIM (AOL instant messenger). So create an AIM name and let us know. I will add you to the group chat where you can shout out for exhibition games.

Welcome back!

My AIM name is christco. I have never used AIM prior to this, though, so I don't know how to get into the group chat, either. Sorry to be a pain in the ass, I swear I'm not really stupid!

It is a bit better than 2008, as connections have gotten faster and P2P is now the norm rather than client (servers). This has made games much less laggy. It still isnt perfect but it is better for sure.

Just had some discussion with swos and we found out that kailleraclient.dll has been updated and that we've been using an older version.

P2p version in kailleraclient.dll we've been using is v0r6 and the "new" one is v0r7. It might be worth to update this.

http://p2p.kaillera.ru/kailleraclient.dll

I for one would be most interested to see out if this cancels out some of the FPS problems some players have had between them.

Just had some discussion with swos and we found out that kailleraclient.dll has been updated and that we've been using an older version.

P2p version in kailleraclient.dll we've been using is v0r6 and the "new" one is v0r7. It might be worth to update this.

http://p2p.kaillera.ru/kailleraclient.dll

I for one would be most interested to see out if this cancels out some of the FPS problems some players have had between them.

You guys ever test this?

Played 6 games with Ice yesterday and it felt good, one of the better transatlantic connections I've played with and he confirmed this as well. Been good with Fitzo as well, so no problems yet to report at all. Looks safe to be used by everyone.

[edit]

Played with 4 games with Plabax as well, connection was quite good, but this thing has a negative in it as well, there is no record option in the menu at least. :/

Edited by Depch

Slight noob type ? In regards kaillera.

Are the savestates from gens & kaillera the same?

Reason I ask is if they aren't, a league should decide up front which emulator it will use.

If they are then you only need 2 coaches to agree on which system to use to play your games.

Slight noob type ? In regards kaillera.

Are the savestates from gens & kaillera the same?

Reason I ask is if they aren't, a league should decide up front which emulator it will use.

If they are then you only need 2 coaches to agree on which system to use to play your games.

Gens is gens and kaillera is the netplay component. Gens has it's own stavestates and kaillera has nothing to do with that. The improvement so far for overseas connection with this new kaillera seems good, but this might need more testing to really see the difference. I feel like I hit my b-checks better with this one, but it could be placebo as well. The recording problem can be overcome as well as Plabax stated.

This leaves the only problem with new kaillera that it does not have a server play for the 2on2 guys. That can be overcome easy having 2 folders of gens, the other one with the old kaillera .dll file and the other one with the new one or just rename the .dll each time playing. Two folders would be faster to play with especially if you create shortcuts for desktop or whatever.

Edited by Depch

• 1 month later...

We played 10+ exis with Uncle Seth today and the new kaillera gives an improvement on the weird FPS lag between some players. This still occured some games and they were like bottom fps 10-13 for me all of those games, but some games were totally smooth in fps 60 category. With the old kaillera it would've been a drop down to 10-25 area all of the games with some jumps to fps 60.

I'm fairly confident now as well, that the latency feels better as well, your keyboard presses happen more instant indicating more what you see on your screen, rather than trying to estimate the hit a bit like with the old kaillera with b-checks on higher latency games. Some welcomed improvements to the network engine for P2P.

We played 10+ exis with Uncle Seth today and the new kaillera gives an improvement on the weird FPS lag between some players. This still occured some games and they were like bottom fps 10-13 for me all of those games, but some games were totally smooth in fps 60 category. With the old kaillera it would've been a drop down to 10-25 area all of the games with some jumps to fps 60.

I'm fairly confident now as well, that the latency feels better as well, your keyboard presses happen more instant indicating more what you see on your screen, rather than trying to estimate the hit a bit like with the old kaillera with b-checks on higher latency games. Some welcomed improvements to the network engine for P2P.

Wow that's really awesome :lol: