NHL'94 Forums

C-B Additions to Building Lines Coming Soon!

I figured it'd be prudent of me to get some C-B notes involved in this portion of the site as I now feel a bit more comfortable making suggestions after playing the most recent classic season.

For anyone new to the site or any veterans unfamiliar with what the C-B check is, please refer to this post by Tomkabs.

In my new posts I will touch on whatever is relevant to the team in question whether it be a new line combo, a new player or a possible change in tactics that weren't considered before we figured out how the C-B check affected game play. As always, I encourage other people to chip in as well with any thoughts they have as they may have more experience using a particular team than I do.

Cool, I'm looking forward to this! In my opinion, the C-B check is a bit overrated, as it doesn't help you much on offense. The fatties are still just as easy to knock down. However, this does give you more options on defense if you are looking for guys who can hit.

In my opinion, C-B is a lethal tool in the arsenal, when used wisely. It definitely warrants a revision of the building of lines, so smart of A.J. to realize that. Although it won't score you goals as Skeletor stated, C-B does have notable fore-checking value which can cause quick changes of possession and a little more paranoia. Against a solid C-B utilizing type of coach, you'll have to move the puck quicker and think on your feet more. C-B levels the playing field so that no one is bulletproof carrying the puck. Gone are the days when dudes like Svoboda wouldn't have to worry about a fatso trailing him on a puck pursuit.

Edited by Uncle Seth

In my opinion, C-B is a lethal tool in the arsenal, when used wisely. It definitely warrants a revision of the building of lines, so smart of A.J. to realize that. Although it won't score you goals as Skeletor stated, C-B does have notable fore-checking value which can cause quick changes of possession and a little more paranoia. Against a solid C-B utilizing type of coach, you'll have to move the puck quicker and think on your feet more. C-B levels the playing field so that no one is bulletproof carrying the puck. Gone are the days when dudes like Svoboda wouldn't have to worry about a fatso trailing him on a puck pursuit.

Just play the best players, they almost all use the CB very well. I am not a c checker, and I use the CB. Someone like Fleury is simply less useful on offense, as well fatties become usable in a big way especially with the D men. My ideal d man goes from being a light weight bugger to someone who is heavy and agile. I used these players before because I don't c check often, but with the CB you can just take off the forwards. Anyway, CB is a big part.

And if you don't believe it just play Uncle Seth...

To do it successfully, is it C then B real quick right after? I can't seem to get the timing

To do it successfully, is it C then B real quick right after? I can't seem to get the timing

Yes, you want to push B before the check connects with your target. Please keep in mind that the player you are using to utilize the body check must out weigh his opponent by 2 or more to work consistently.

I also like to CB check along the boards. While checking along the boards typically disregards weight, I still find it safer to use CB anyways with a heaver player just in case a board checking animation doesn't occur.

....checking along the boards typically disregards weight....

oh, really? any further thoughts on that?

oh, really? any further thoughts on that?

Is that the same in snes? In gens at least, anybody can check anybody with (i think) 100% consistency, regardless of either player's weights. Board checks are so satisfying

interesting. seems about right. if anybody has any further insight, I'd like to read it.

There isn't too much more science involved in it aside from the fact that everyone is fair game up along the boards. It doesn't get talked about much but I presumed it's something the majority of '94 veterans are familiar with. I had it come up in a discussion with CoachMac this weekend when talking about some of the differences in '92 and how I like to use my defense in each version. It just seems practical to CB check with a heavier player regardless of position on the ice since using CB won't negatively affect board checking.