NHL'94 Forums

League Proposal

I've been thinking about starting a league some time, and now that there isn't much going on, I'd like to gauge the interest here. I'd like to borrow a few ideas from Kiba's NHL95 simulation league (http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/16451-kohl7/#entry141821) for an NHL94 league.

Rules:

5 minute periods, manual goalies, weight bug and CB fix, line changes (set to auto) and penalties are on.

Teams:

I really want to avoid having this drag on, so I'm planning on a smaller league. Right now I'm thinking of about 12 teams, but this could change.

There would be full rosters (3 forward lines, and 2 defense). Defensemen and forwards may play the other position during powerplays only.

Here is the fun part. Rather than having the vanilla teams or a draft, your roster is picked by a silent auction. In Kiba's league this was the best part. Because you don't know what the author guys are offering players, sometimes you get a great player for cheap. Conversely, sometimes you end up paying way more than anyone else offered for a player.

Player contracts and money:

Each team has a budget of $10M $200, and offers can only be in $1 increments. You cannot exceed this at any point during the league. The minimum player salaries will be determined by their overall rating. Here is a quick breakdown:

* Rating * Min Salary *

* <=50 * $2 *

* 51-60 * $3 *

* 61-70 * $4 *

* 71-80 * $5 *

* 81-90 * $6 *

* 91-100 * $7 *

Silent auction phase:

Primary phase:

There are four main auction rounds. For each of these, each team must submit an offer to a player for each empty roster spot. The players go to the highest offer. In the case of a tie, the player goes back into the auction the next round, and only the teams who made the highest offers may make offers to that player in the next round. Your are not allowed to exceed your budget at any point or offer a player less than their minimum salary. After each round, all of the offers can be viewed.

Secondary phase:

Teams who still have incomplete rosters enter this phase. The rules are the same as above, with the exception that they can only make offers that are equal to the minimum salary for the player's rating. Only players from the bottom 3 rating classes will be available. This phase continues until all rosters are filled.

Trade phase:

Unlimited trades, with no Hokkee clause (league approval not required). If you make a bad trade, tough. As above, you cannot exceed your budget at any time.

Season:

I don't want this to drag on (if there is enough interest and the league goes forward), so I'm thinking each team will play a home and home with each other.

Playoffs:

Best of 5, and the finalists play for the Grayskull Cup.

Eligibility:

Anyone is welcome to join, but I'd like to allow some of the newbs a chance to play, so I might give them the option to join first. If more than 12 people are interested, then I'll use a randomizer to determine who gets in.

If there is a waiting list, players will be replaced quickly if they are not playing their games. On second thought, I'm not sure if this is a great idea. I might do first come first serve. I didn't want to make this an old boys club, but invite only would allow us to pick the guys who play their games.

Anyway, if anyone else would be interested in this, let me know!

Edited by Skeletor

"no Hokkee clause (league approval not required). If you make a bad trade, tough."

The hokkee clause isn't to protect hokkee, it's to protect the league from hokkee :)

I even incorporate fourth lines in my hacks. I think this looks like a great idea, but reading these forums shows that it would be a very difficult thing to pull off successfully. these are not the preferred rulesets for most members. it involves stages of participation. it is slightly complicated. i think you'll have a good signup period followed by a decent beginning and then see the participation trickle off until only about half of those that signed up are still around for the second half of the experience. I think having all options on is the best way to enjoy what NHL '94 has to offer. it's a great hockey simulation game, not just a silly arcade "sports" shootout game. well, the SNES version is, at least; the Genesis one seems to retain more of the run-and-gun arcade feel, no matter the setting.

Unfortunately Tru that's exactly the life cycle of the Full On Rules leagues.

They take a little more time to play and more thinking/strategy. It's definitely an untapped piece of the game on the Gens side that I'd love to see take off a bit.

Agreed. I proposed while back of reducing energy across board so you're not able to do that.

Big fan of rolling all three lines.

Is there an easy way to do this? Would we just reduce the endurance ratings for each player?

I even incorporate fourth lines in my hacks. I think this looks like a great idea, but reading these forums shows that it would be a very difficult thing to pull off successfully. these are not the preferred rulesets for most members. it involves stages of participation. it is slightly complicated. i think you'll have a good signup period followed by a decent beginning and then see the participation trickle off until only about half of those that signed up are still around for the second half of the experience. I think having all options on is the best way to enjoy what NHL '94 has to offer. it's a great hockey simulation game, not just a silly arcade "sports" shootout game. well, the SNES version is, at least; the Genesis one seems to retain more of the run-and-gun arcade feel, no matter the setting.

Unfortunately Tru that's exactly the life cycle of the Full On Rules leagues.

They take a little more time to play and more thinking/strategy. It's definitely an untapped piece of the game on the Gens side that I'd love to see take off a bit.

I was hoping that a smaller league would avoid these problems. I'm open to suggestions to encourage participation. We could do an original 6, and just cut the teams that you can draft from in half. An 8 team tournament would also work.

Touch base with KU and see who he recommends for the league. HE'll know the slackers from his TDL commishing.

Ya the reducing each players endurance was and idea I had. Like make everyone equal. Would have to do a few tests to determine which value forces a couple line changes before reusing a line.

Clockwise's 91 league used in increased fatigue rate hack.

But I don't know if the fatigue rate and recovery rate are linked or not. Ideally, for what you guys want, I think you'd want an increased fatigue rate without changing the recovery rate.

There's also the matter that with 94, is a fresh 3rd liner even better than a dead-tired 1st liner? I guess with only 8 teams, the 3rd lines would be decent, though. So with a small league, the "nobody uses Chk" problem could solve itself because the Chk line isn't made of 50-rated players.

I'd partake.....sounds cool. I'm always down to join a league. More leagues, more chances to win, more experience

Edited by LABS_66

Silent auctions are very tough to run. Especially with people not familiar with them. People tend to over bid i.e. Have too many max bids outstanding at one time

Silent auctions are very tough to run. Especially with people not familiar with them. People tend to over bid i.e. Have too many max bids outstanding at one time

Kiba (who runs an excellent NHL95PC league) has it so that you are bidding for your entire team at once, so if there are 16 positions to fill you will have an initial team bid (can't exceed the cap total). 2nd round you are filling missing positions and on and on. Point being - you cannot have too many bids or ever be over commited.

Kiba also wrote some excellent software that tracks all of this, and allows himself to play in the league as he is not privy to everyone else's bids. This will be the tough part IMO, though with some effort and some google sheets knowhow it can be done.

Kiba (who runs an excellent NHL95PC league) has it so that you are bidding for your entire team at once, so if there are 16 positions to fill you will have an initial team bid (can't exceed the cap total). 2nd round you are filling missing positions and on and on. Point being - you cannot have too many bids or ever be over commited.

Kiba also wrote some excellent software that tracks all of this, and allows himself to play in the league as he is not privy to everyone else's bids. This will be the tough part IMO, though with some effort and some google sheets knowhow it can be done.

that is freakin awesome. Thanks Jer

While we're all rudely suggesting new rules...I like the idea of forwards on defense, but not just for power plays. There are a lot more talented forwards in the game than defensemen and it would be great if we could use them on defense for regular lines.

I love the idea of a league with line changes and offsides on. So I would like to be in just for that.

While we're all rudely suggesting new rules...I like the idea of forwards on defense, but not just for power plays. There are a lot more talented forwards in the game than defensemen and it would be great if we could use them on defense for regular lines.

I'm completely open to suggestions. If I get enough interest, I'll put some of these to a vote. We could even have a short preseason to try some of them out.

I wasn't planning on including offsides, but it might make the games closer, and more defensive, which I like. Tru is right for bringing this up, I don't see this as being rude at all. I would like to encourage any suggestions for the league actually.

I think the silent auction would be pretty easy. I was planning on having a spreadsheet with a column containing a list of all of the players. Each coach would put their offers in the 2nd column, and send it to me. If you want a certain player, you would only need to put a number in the cell to the right of the player's name. You would only need to take the sum of a column to see if you've gone overbudget. The tricky part is the minimum salaries, but that is pretty easy as well. I will sort the players by their salary class, so you don't have to look up each player's minimum salary. You could make the spreadsheet enforce minimum values, but I think that would be a bit of an overkill. I have attached an example to this post.

Once, all of the offers are in, I would put each coach's offers in a separate column. It would just be a matter of using the maximum function to get the highest offer(s) for each row. If there is no tie, the player goes to the highest bidder. An example is also attached.

It would be easy to modify the spreadsheet for the next round to remove the claimed players, and include the coach's committed salary.

One benefit of this is that everyone puts their picks in at once, so you don't have to continually check the forums to see if you are up.

post-1603-0-70246200-1434415777_thumb.jp

post-1603-0-67480700-1434416382_thumb.jp

is a minimum salary increment needed? To avoid bids of 200,002.

I haven't decided on that. If you allow for any amount, then you might steal a player from another guy by bidding a dollar more. Some guys might like this, while others would hate it. I have no preference myself. In Kiba's league, the increments were only $1 if I remember correctly. It worked fine there. The only reason I'm including the minimums is to avoid having teams pick up star players for nothing if they didn't get any offers during the bidding phase.