NHL'94 Forums

A-/B+ League Dynasty

smoz, are injuries something that can be tracked within savestates?

No, the game doesn't record who got injured (although in theory it could be hacked in a way similar to how I did the +/- stat). I'd be willing to do a HelpMeHack for that.

But I just meant, if you want to project out the career length of real-life players (which is what I think Jer was going for?), I wouldn't take just those numbers he posted, but would factor in injuries and skill, as both are probably good predictors of career length.

No, the game doesn't record who got injured (although in theory it could be hacked in a way similar to how I did the +/- stat). I'd be willing to do a HelpMeHack for that.

But I just meant, if you want to project out the career length of real-life players (which is what I think Jer was going for?), I wouldn't take just those numbers he posted, but would factor in injuries and skill, as both are probably good predictors of career length.

I think jer is referencing what to use for an actual "game league" like we are talking about. He wants to know upfront the odds of his guy retiring end of season to plan out his squad/draft, etc.

I think adding injuries as a saved stat, both for the period & game, would be AWESOME! Not just for using in this league, but other leagues.

Start the thread up SMOZ, and I'll help where I can. I haven't touched "code" in 25 years, but I'd be willing to try to do what I can.

If say Chris Chelios is in the league (retired at age 48), does he retire at age 48 in the league, or randomly according to a percentage table like Jer's? In other words, when you draft a guy, do you know how long his career is going to be or no?

OK, I'll draw up the help-me-hack. A lot of it isn't coding, it's just using the tools to hunt down when and where variables and data are accessed by the game (see steps 1-4 in the helpmehack linked in my previous post, no coding).

Players development & retirement would not be based on their real life counter parts.

Lines changes off, and limited amount of teams is going to require a much higher rate of retirement and diminished skills to offset flooding the league w/ too much talent.

That and the fact that it takes a while to finish a season & playoffs is going to force faster turnover of the team's players if "variety" is going to be in play. Otherwise, the dynasty part wouldn't really become "real" because it would take 3 real years till you actually felt it.

Another idea might be to tie the Endurance skill into the "retirement probability" along w/ the injury stat if we find it. But, I'd assume we would be declining skills of players after 3-4 seasons, and forced retirement by year 6-7?

Unless the league moves faster per season than I anticipate.

Edited by Brutus

What do you mean by tracking? Do you mean the end game stats? The game does show player injuries during the game, so you can't sub in an injured player. I guess that you need something that shows up at the end of the game?

What do you mean by tracking? Do you mean the end game stats? The game does show player injuries during the game, so you can't sub in an injured player. I guess that you need something that shows up at the end of the game?

It'd be a hidden stat, like Time On Ice and +/-. In the game's RAM/savestate, but not displayed in the game itself.

Ask the guys from Tecmo Bowl. They do the same thing and they are in season 24 or whatever.

They have a formula that determines how players' attributes change after each season.

There's a Tecmo Bowl league?

Just for clarity, the sim-league I am referencing had retirement porbabilities that likely calculated age/games played/injuries etc.. in it's formula.

I'm not picky about the numbers, my main concern is that if a player is determined to be retiring (in the offseason or preseason) that it would mean they would retire at the end of the upcoming season and not be a surprise for the manager. Does that make sense?