NHL'94 Forums

NHL looking at expansion

halifax

who will get an expansion team? (pick as many as you like)  

18 members have voted

1. 1. who will get an expansion team? (pick as many as you like)

• Seattle
    • Quebec City
    • Las Vegas
    • Toronto (Second team)
    • Hamilton
    • Kansas City
    • Portland
    • Houston
    • Saskatoon :)
    • Halifax :)
    • Other (list below)

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/13142936/nhl-formally-approves-opening-expansion-process

LAS VEGAS -- As expected, the National Hockey League's Board of Governors has authorized NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to formally open the expansion process and the league will now examine bids from interested markets, including Las Vegas.

NHL owners met in Las Vegas on Wednesday morning in advance of the annual NHL awards ceremony when the matter was discussed. Bettman cited Las Vegas, Seattle and Quebec City as the markets that have expressed the most serious interest.

"We will, probably starting in early July, accept formal applications from entities, people that are interested in pursuing an expansion team," Bettman said following the completion of the meeting. "We will then go through a formal vetting process."

Bettman indicated that an expansion fee would be at least $500 million to be distributed among the existing clubs. He said the earliest that any potential expansion team would start playing in the NHL is 2017-18 season.

Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly have been cautious in discussing potential expansion, insisting that even though opening up the process was a distinct possibility, entertaining expansion bids does not guarantee the NHL will expand from its current 30-team roster.

But the league did give prospective Las Vegas owner Bill Foley permission late in 2014 to begin a trial season-ticket drive in Las Vegas to gauge the level of interest for an NHL team in the desert city.

Foley has topped the 13,300 mark in deposits, according to multiple sources.

Foley was not in attendance at Wednesday's Board of Governors meeting; in fact, he was not even in Las Vegas this week. But it's believed the success of the season-ticket drive gives the city an excellent chance of hosting the 31st NHL team.

AEG and MGM Resorts International are building a new arena on the edge of The Strip in Las Vegas. It is being built to accommodate either an NHL or NBA team, or both. The Las Vegas Arena is scheduled for completion in the spring of 2016, but it's believed the earliest a Las Vegas team would join the NHL is the 2017-18 season.

Information from ESPN.com's Craig Custance and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

I am all about 30 teams, but 32 would make all divisions have 8 teams. If this must be done, I would like the league to go back to pure divisional playoffs, then re-seed the final 4, and maybe have the Final have two teams from the same conference.

statistically, 32 teams is a very good number. 16 per conference would be nice for balance. I think it has to happen with a caveat that it either never happens again or that it makes a rapid expansion to 64 when there is another viable league to absorb. once 32 are achieved, no other number except 64 makes sense. at 32, every effort should be made to hold that number through moving failing teams and/or replacing failed teams. I chose Vegas and Quebec; Vegas because it seems like a done deal and Quebec because they deserve a team. Seattle would probably be a fine option if either falters, but I would not chose that site, even if it show "stronger" initial support than the small city of Quebec.

I did not choose Quebec City because something makes me think they will get one of the relocated franchises if either Ari, Fla, or Car need to move.

Very glad that this thread was created.

I was honestly wondering when it would be brought up, so better now than later, I would admit, truly worth the discussion.

What I do have to ask about though with the Potential NHL Team Expansion happens to be how our ROM hacks here would become.

As stated in my thread asking about the maximum amount of teams that one may put into an NHL '94 ROM image, I had said that in the event that the NHL were to legitimately go through with this expansion, obviously we will have to expand the ROM to compensate for the amount of teams for that season, while special and extra teams would be thought of for later.

Assuming that this will fully go through for the league, in which we do obtain the new teams, where does the Thirty Team ROM go from here?

Obviously, come as early as 20I7, when the new Expansion Teams do come to the NHL to play, the Thirty Team ROM would become rendered as obsolete due to the fact that it would not have every team in the league, so as stated in my thread, a new ROM hack that increases the team count will be mandatory for the next generation of hockey here; I just do not know what will happen at that point though, but wishfully, a resolution does come then, we will require it for accuracy purposes.

Other than that though, I truly am curious for as to where the league will go with this expansion, it will be rather lovely to view some new folks and logos showing up on my Analogue Television set every now and then.

As for explaining my votes, the reason for me selecting Seattle, Las Vegas, Houston, and Kansas City is because they were the first four that I had known were in the mix for this expansion, after looking at a massive lot of the 20I4 articles that were discussing this, thus they would end up having the highest superiority for my voting options; sounds simple enough, I would say. (:

Edited by Royameadow

• 4 weeks later...

Quebec City and Las Vegas were the only ones to submit bids. I think it's looking good that they'll both get a team.