NHL'94 Forums

Favourite Videogames of All Time

Name your top 5 favourite videogames of all time (in general), and also your top 5 favourite nhl videogames.

A lot of your are more of the casual gamer type, so you it's understandable if you don't really have a top 5

In General

1. NHL 94 (Sega Genesis)

2. Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)

3. Pokemon Red/Blue (Game boy)

4. Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! (NES)

5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Playstation 2 / Xbox)

NHL Only

1. NHL 94 (Sega Genesis)

2. NHL 14 (Playstation 3 / Xbox 360)

3. NHL 07 (Playstation 2 / Xbox)

4. Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey (Nintendo 64)

5. Blades of Steel (NES)

Edited by TomKabs93

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think,

1. NHL'94 (Sega Genesis)

2. Street Fighter 2 (Arcade)

3. Tetris (Tengen NES version)

4. Baseball Stars (NES)

5. Mike Tyson's Punch Out (NES)

Aside from RPG's, those were the games that dominated my time growing up.

I can't put it to 5. Just listing games I've spent the most time with I think, I'm sure I'm missing some important ones.

1. Master of Orion 2 (PC)
2. Star Control 2 (PC)
3. Heroes of might and magic 3 (PC)
4. Quake + Quakeworld Teamfortress (PC)
5. Dune 2 (PC)
6. System Shock (PC)
7. Ultima Underworld 1 + 2 (PC)
8. Gabriel Knight 1 (PC)
9. NHL Hockey (PC) / NHL'94 (Gens)
10. Pirates! (C64) & Last Ninja 2 (C64)
HM: AD&D Gold box games like Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver blades etc.
HM2: ffookk, forgot about Ufo: enemy unkown (PC) and Laser squad (Amiga/PC), Jagged Alliance (PC)
NHL Only:
#1 NHL 2008 (x360) (first 6on6, was really fun, did not play single)
#2 NHL Hockey (PC) / NHL 95 (PC) / NHL 94 (Gens)
#3 NHL 98 (PC)
#4 NHL 99 (PC)
#5 NHL 2004 (PC)
Edited by Depch

1. Jane's Fighters Anthology (PC starting point for online gaming when everyone was on 56k)

There's no question I logged more hours on this game than any other I ever played. The game had every real and testing plane that existed including the X31.

The best game was 2v2 Guns only. I think the last 3 years I played with a squad mate he and I went undefeated vs the internet.

714LIBS_2.jpg

2. Star Wars Galaxies before they completely F'd up the game (PC)

To become a Jedi before the game was ruined was quite the feat. There were very few who made it. The game was the most wide open game I'd ever played, probably still.

screenShot0366.jpg

3. NHL94 (SEGA!!) - No explanation needed

hattrick.jpg

4. Baldur's Gate (PC)

Epic story for a game

CoremonkspartydevastatingKiriansparty.pn

5. Dragon's Lair (Arcade)

There was never a game that absolutely blew people away as much as when Dragon's Lair hit the Arcade. It was the first game to cost more than .25 cents that I know of. Back then Arcades were filled with 30-50 machines. When this game came out the crowds around it were crazy and the lines to play caused fights.

dragons_lair_large.jpg

Honorable mention is Mortal Combat 2 - was a lot of fun doing finishing moves

38708-Mortal_Kombat_II_(World)-2.png

Also another honorable mention is KOTOR - Knights of the Old Republic - masterfully written game - could be light or dark for maybe the first time

star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic.jp

Hmmm.... My video game obsession history... Chronological order...

1. Super Mario Bros. (I remember having call down the street at ~8 years old to someone's parent to teach me how to get through the final maze level! There was a time when I could finish this in one life)
  2. Rock and Roll Racing (Tarquin JAMS into first! Solid gameplay, solid tunes)
  3. Warcraft II
  4. Duke Nukem 3D dukematch (Still the best deathmatch shooter in my opinion... wacky user-made levels, jet packs, pipe bombs, trip mines, shrink ray, freeze gun... still laugh about the time I threw a pipe bomb at someone, he froze me before I could detonate it, picked up my pipe bomb, and killed me with it)
  5. Tetris
  6. Die by the Sword (I played the DEMO for like a year. Every sword fighting game after this just feels like lame button mashing)
  7. Half Life, Half Life 2
  8. Halo (first one)
  9. Homeworld: Cataclysm (Super creepy RTS in 3D space. Of course they lost the source for this expansion so when they're making a high def re-release of Homeworld, they don't have my favourite iteration of it)
  10. NHL'94 (My obsession began in ~2006)
  11. Portal (Challenging, hilarious)
  12. World of Tanks

Hmmm.... My video game obsession history... Chronological order...

1. Super Mario Bros. (I remember having call down the street at ~8 years old to someone's parent to teach me how to get through the final maze level! There was a time when I could finish this in one life)

HAha, this happened to us as well. Practised a bit and then "let's go brag and play it on public stores". There used to be plenty of kids playing and waiting for turns then. We were around 8 as well. So silly, haha.

Duke Nukem 3D dukematch (Still the best deathmatch shooter in my opinion... wacky user-made levels, jet packs, pipe bombs, trip mines, shrink ray, freeze gun... still laugh about the time I threw a pipe bomb at someone, he froze me before I could detonate it, picked up my pipe bomb, and killed me with it)

This was great indeed, was never that good with it though, I didn't use mouse at the time, but that had to change later.

Doom 2 deathmatch was something we used to play shitloads on LAN as well. Oh, those were the days. 1 Finnish mark (around 0,20$ at the time) per each death. Hah. =)

Edited by Depch

Thanks for creating this thread bud.

In General

1. Goldeneye (N64). Many friendships needed to be repaired after playing this game.

2. Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! (NES)

3. RBI Baseball (NES)

4. NBA JAM (SNES or SEGA genesis)

5. Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)

side note: any Lego video game is fun to play with your spouse or kids.

NHL Only

1. NHL 94 (SNES)

2. Ice Hockey (NES)

3. NHL hockey (Sega Genesis)

4. NHL 3 on 3 arcade (XBOX 360)

5. NHL94 throwback (XBOX1)

Nukem user levels for the win. you guys just earned a lot of points with me. my friends used keyboards, but I used a controller. that and Command And Conquer Red Alert revisions got lots of play when my roommates had three PCs set up to connect for multiplayers games. those two PC games got a lot of competitive play, as did NHL '94 on the SNES and Goldeneye on the N64.

1. Nhl 94 sega

2. RBI Baseball nes wish this game had more leagues like 94

3. 1942/43 nes always liked shooters but these were my favorites.

4. Fishing Resort Wii only modern game I've really gotten into

5. Scooby Doo Night of 1000 frights ps2 mostly cause it was so much fun to play with my daughter

Top 5 Favourite Games All-Time (other than NHL 94)

1. GoldenEye 007 (N64, 1997)

2. Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball (SNES, 1994)

3. Call of Duty (PC, 2003)

4. Super Mario Kart (SNES, 1992)

5. River City Ransom (NES, 1989)

Honourable Mentions: Super Mario Bros. (NES, 1985), NBA Jam (SNES, 1994), Donkey Kong Country (SNES, 1994), Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES, 1994), Unreal Tournament (PC, 1999)

Hockey

1. NHL 94 (SNES, 1993)

2. NHL 95 (PC, 1994)

3. NHL 2003 (PC, 2002)

4. NHLPA Hockey (SNES, 1992)

5. Blades of Steel (NES, 1988)

Honourable Mentions: Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey (N64, 1996), Ice Hockey (NES, 1988), NHL 95 (SNES), NHL 2002 (PC)

Top non-nhl games:

1. Call of Duty MW2 - BO2 (PS3)

2. Guild Wars (PC)

3. Goldeneye (N64)

4. Madden 94 (Genesis)

5. SF2 CE (Arcade)

6. Mortal Kombat (Arcade)

7. Mario Kart (Wii)

8. RBI Baseball (NES)

Top NHL/Hockey games:

1. NHL 94 (Genesis)

2. NHL 95 (Genesis)

3. Faceoff 97 (PS1)

4. NHL 98 (PS1)

5. Blades of Steel (NES)

6. Mutant League Hockey (Genesis)

7. Ice Hockey (NES)

99. NHL 96 (Genesis)

I ranked all mine by time played. For the non-nhl games the multiplayer aspect is what made games great in my opinion as evidenced by my list. Aside from the exis and leagues here I still have one of my middle school buddies and another dude who play offline league of 94 where we play every game from the actual season. (Thanks Chaos for making this so much easier)

1. Counter-strike 1.6/Counter-strike: Global Offensive

2. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

3. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

4. Half-Life

5. Sonic the hedgehog 2

ive always put sport video games in their own class

1. (duh) Nhl '94

2. MVP Baseball 2005

3. Bad news baseball

4. Sensible World of Soccer (amiga)

5. Earl Weaver Baseball

Edited by donnybrook

5. River City Ransom (NES, 1989)

Unreal Tournament (PC, 1999)

Loved River City Ransom! I finally beat it in ~2004. "BARF!"

And UT was great, loved how the guns had good variety and alternate fires. Deck 16.. CTF-Face (2 towers).. Back when I first moved into residence at school, it got shared around the floor, and there was a guy who was so far beyond the rest of us, everyone thought he must be a bot.

1. NHL 94

2. MVP Baseball 2005 (played the crap out of this thing)

3. Streets of Rage 2 (Mania mode with a friend never gets old)

4. Castlevania: SOTN (played through this a bunch of times)

5. Street Fighter 3-Third Strike (Fantastic artwork, music, and game play variety)

6. Final Fantasy 7 (The first RPG I ever played, tons of sentimental value)

7. NHL 99 (First PS one game I bought, played a full season with nearly half the teams on the game)

8. World Series Baseball 98 (Great 2 player baseball game, mixes quick and enjoyable gameplay with fantastic renditions of the MLB ballparks)

9. Grand Theft auto IV (This game grew on me, fantastic characters and atmosphere coupled with strong game play and soundtrack. Always much preferred NY to LA setting)

10. Red Dead Redemption (Amazing story and setting, I'm a sucker for Westerns when done right)

1. The 7th saga (snes) - most underrated rpg ever made

2. Final fantasy 3 (snes)

3. Zelda orcarina of time (n64)

4. Crystalis (nes)

5. Super smash Bros (n64)

6. NHL 94 (snes)

7. Mega man 1-6 (nes)

8. Donkey kong country 2 (snes)

9. Wolfenstein 3d (pc)

10. Super Mario 64

This list took me my whole work day, as I spend way to much time playing retro games lol

Great thread Kabs! I could put a lot down here but here's the top 5 for each:

In General (Non-Sports)

1. Red Faction (PC) - the original one with geo-mod - online gameplay was amazing

2. Starwars Galactic Battlegrounds (PC)

3. Toejam & Earl (Sega Genesis)

4. Worms World Party (PC)

5. Super Mario Bros 1,2,3 (NES)

Honorable Mention: Kid Chameleon (Sega Genesis), and Call of Duty first Modern Warfare (PC)

Sports Only

1. NHL'94 (Sega Genesis)

2. NHL'92 (Sega Genesis)

3. NHLPA'93 (Sega Genesis)

4. Blades of Steel (NES)

5. Baseball Simulator 1000 (NES) - for those who played - you could bunt with Boyd and run the bases for an inside-the-parker before anyone could react

Honorable Mention: Hardball 6 (PC)

Taka...pinch hitter who would occasionally have enough power to hit a home run. Great form too:

14t58nl.jpg

#3 In the line up Sheryl would always ruin my early 10 run rule games with a homer. Taka did that too as well.

Just went with games I still play today. Have not picked up a new game or new system in years.

1. Tecmo Super Bowl NES (play in two leagues online)

2. NHL 95 SEGA (let the rain of boos commence)

3. Baseball Stars NES (My team was the "Diamond Studs" and it was a Cat Logo, was pretty awesome in 6th grade

4. Dusty Diamonds All Star Softball NES (weird players, collisions at home plate and the final team Amazons would wax the Lovely Ladies)

5. Mike Tysons Punch Out NES- Still will try to beat the game to this day

6. Madden on PS2 entire series (first game that won out over sex...well a few times)

7. Warcraft II PC - Addicting, glad I didn't play any others or would of never had the option to turn down sex

8. NBA JAM Sega - Just bought up 6 carts, hope to do a NBA Jam Tourney soone

9. N64 AKI Wrestling Games WCW/WWF - LOVED THESE GAMES

10. GoldenEye 007 N64 - Was the worst of my friends, killed a billion times but still love to play

-Notable mentions WORMS World Party, Contra NES, Ice Hockey NES, Mario Series NES, Evander Holyfields Real Deal Boxing Sega, FirePro Wrestling PS2

Edited by segathon

4. Dusty Diamonds All Star Softball NES -

8. NBA JAM Sega - Just bought up 6 carts, hope to do a NBA Jam Tourney soone

4. the play that one in the school yard right? that was a fun game.

8. <-this guy is jealous of a nbajam tourney.

Yes the School yard where you are out if you break a window or the sand lot with rocks in field, great game!. Played in a short lived league over at tecmo.us

The 10% chance I make the Toronto Tourney, I'll bring a JAM cart and we can play. And yes I have both the Dan Majerle and the rarer Charles Barkley Carts....

Yes the School yard where you are out if you break a window or the sand lot with rocks in field, great game!. Played in a short lived league over at tecmo.us

The 10% chance I make the Toronto Tourney, I'll bring a JAM cart and we can play. And yes I have both the Dan Majerle and the rarer Charles Barkley Carts....

Count me in for NBA JAM!

General:

1. Super Mario Brothers 3

2. Tecmo Super Bowl

3. Ace Combat 4

4. Syphon Filter 1 - 3

5. WWE Smackdown Here Comes The Pain

Hockey:

1. NHL 94 (obvious)

2. NHL 09 - 12 PS3

3. NHL 96 PC

4. NHLPA 93

5. Blades of Steel

Edited by Oilers442

Loved River City Ransom! I finally beat it in ~2004. "BARF!"

And UT was great, loved how the guns had good variety and alternate fires. Deck 16.. CTF-Face (2 towers).. Back when I first moved into residence at school, it got shared around the floor, and there was a guy who was so far beyond the rest of us, everyone thought he must be a bot.

River City Ransom is amazing. I just recently got the ROM and started playing again. Love that you can buy things like sushi to gain attributes. The passwords are ridiculous though!

As for UT - I was not the best guy in my rez, but I was his main rival. It was an all-boys rez, engineering and computer science mainly, so there were massive games of UT and StarCraft happening constantly.

River City Ransom was awesome. Loved that game! Loved beating a guy with a tire or a garbage can. I can play this and TMNT IV: Turtles in Time forever.

I think 7th Saga was one of the worst RPGs ever made, B) .

FF7 is somewhat overrated, but I understand why so many people like it, for a lot of them it was the first FF they ever played.

When I was younger I was into shooters more, Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny (PC) FTW, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D. I thought the Halo series was really good too, probably the only one I'm actually decent at.

I have the 2 NBA Jam carts for SNES I can bring to Toronto.

Smash Bros games and the earlier Mario Parties (1-3) are awesome party games.

Blast Corps (N64) is awesome too. Very underrated, I'm happy they are including it in the Rare Replay!

I love RPGs, so this list is RPG heavy:

1 - Final Fantasy 6 (3 in US - SNES)

2 - Xenogears (PS)

3 - Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past (SNES)

4 - Star Control 2 (PC) - If you never played this, you should really try it out. It's free now (called Ur-Quan Masters)

5a - Chrono Trigger (SNES)

5b - Final Fantasy 4 (2 in US - SNES)

If I were to leave RPGs out (and LTTP):

1 - Super Metroid (SNES) How has no one mentioned this yet?

2 - Castlevania: SoTN (PS)

3 - Braid (X360)

4 - Super Mario World (SNES)

5 - Mega Man 3 (NES)

NHL Related Games:

1 - NHL '94 (SNES)

2 - NHL '94 (Genesis)

3 - Ice Hockey (NES)

4 - NHL 3 on 3 arcade (X360)

5 - NHL '95 (PC)

River City Ransom is amazing. I just recently got the ROM and started playing again. Love that you can buy things like sushi to gain attributes. The passwords are ridiculous though!

As for UT - I was not the best guy in my rez, but I was his main rival. It was an all-boys rez, engineering and computer science mainly, so there were massive games of UT and StarCraft happening constantly.

Those passwords are why I never finished it before! Emulator quicksave ftw.

Cool, I was on the "high tech floor", but we had some girls (one of the guys in the room next to me married one of the girls in the other room next to me)

River City Ransom was awesome. Loved that game! Loved beating a guy with a tire or a garbage can. I can play this and TMNT IV: Turtles in Time forever.

I thought the Halo series was really good too, probably the only one I'm actually decent at.

Yeah, beating people with random objects was really the best part of RCR. Throwing things at them, too.

The turtles games were also loads of fun, except the first one (i never figured out that you could just walk across that gap.. that must be the most devious troll in video game history).

Halo really was amazing. My buddy and I rented an xbox and played it, and it was pretty intense/memorable. Actually we played it through again a few years later, still great.