NHL'94 Forums

Favourite Videogames of All Time

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An officially licensed sequel is in development by Conatus Creative (based in Ottawa) that was funded through Kickstarter: River City Ransom Underground.

Looks really good. It's been awhile since there was an update, though.

I didn't see even one person beaten to death with a garbage can, so I don't recognize this game at all.

I didn't see even one person beaten to death with a garbage can, so I don't recognize this game at all.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/389876248/485622866438306465/

Apparently, they have released some alpha builds to kickstarter donors, and they all say it sucks right now. :unhappy:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/389876248/485622866438306465/

Apparently, they have released some alpha builds to kickstarter donors, and they all say it sucks right now. :unhappy:

I don't know how much can be gleamed from an alpha build. Hopefully it turns out great.

While I'm here...

Sports Games Not Named NHL'94

1. Sensible World of Soccer (XBLA)
  2. NHL Hockey (Genesis)
  3. Ice Hockey (NES)
  4. NHL Hockey (PC)
  5. Virtua Tennis (Dreamcast)
  6. Bad News Baseball (NES)
  7. Madden '92 (Genesis)
  8. Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)
  9. NHL 2002 (PC)
  10. ESPN NFL2K5 (XBOX) Tee Off (Dreamcast)

It's taking to long to pick out my other top 10, so I'll just skip it.

I don't know how much can be gleamed from an alpha build. Hopefully it turns out great.

While I'm here...

Sports Games Not Named NHL'94

1. Virtua Tennis (Dreamcast)

I've been doing a bit of Dreamcast collecting these days and Virtua Tennis is a great call!

I've been doing a bit of Dreamcast collecting these days and Virtua Tennis is a great call!

Best tennis game of all-time IMO. There is a PC version, and I know it does have online capability, but I've never tried it (the iso is on PC Iso World or some site like that). Would be great to get some games going on here.

Here's an epic comeback I had years ago against Master.

hey... did anybody mention NHL '94, yet? that game is pretty good.

Yes, it was mentioned in the first post.

Name your top 5 favourite videogames of all time (in general), and also your top 5 favourite nhl videogames.

A lot of your are more of the casual gamer type, so you it's understandable if you don't really have a top 5

In General

1. NHL 94 (Sega Genesis)

2. Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)

3. Pokemon Red/Blue (Game boy)

4. Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! (NES)

5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Playstation 2 / Xbox)

NHL Only

1. NHL 94 (Sega Genesis)

2. NHL 14 (Playstation 3 / Xbox 360)

3. NHL 07 (Playstation 2 / Xbox)

4. Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey (Nintendo 64)

5. Blades of Steel (NES)

Best tennis game of all-time IMO. There is a PC version, and I know it does have online capability, but I've never tried it (the iso is on PC Iso World or some site like that). Would be great to get some games going on here.

Here's an epic comeback I had years ago against Master.

I mean, it's not as good as Racket Attack on the NES but then again, what is. yeah right. Nice match there, Jesus... You are a true Virtua Tennis beast!

I don't want to hijack the thread here but speaking of the Dreamcast, what are you using to record your footage? Elgato Game Capture? Also, do you have any recommendations for a product to upgrade the resolution to HDMI? I've been doing some research, not sure if it's worth dropping $300 on something to do that but just looking for a trusted source like yourself that might know better. Thanks!

I don't want to hijack the thread here but speaking of the Dreamcast, what are you using to record your footage? Elgato Game Capture? Also, do you have any recommendations for a product to upgrade the resolution to HDMI? I've been doing some research, not sure if it's worth dropping $300 on something to do that but just looking for a trusted source like yourself that might know better. Thanks!

That gameplay was emulated with the NullDC, Dreamcast emulator, and was probably captured with FRAPS. Resolution is crystal clear for emulated Dreamcast games. I might have been low on HHD space or something and perhaps I didn't record lossless AVI for that clip which is why it looks so crappy. FWIW, the emulator is more difficult to setup than something like Gens, but it's not that hard, and PlayStation as well as XBOX360 controllers work great with NullDC.

As far as capturing a signal from a Dreamcast: a VGA box is the way to go if you want the best quality picture on the original hardware, since the Dreamcast can do VGA natively.

Back to the topic at hand, here's the rest of my, way-too-long-list-of-other-all-time-favorite-games.

Side Scrollers

1. Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World (SNES)
  2. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
  3. Super Ghouls And Ghosts (SNES)
  4. Yoshi's Island (SNES)
  5. Castlevania Double Pack: Aria of Sorrow & Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
  6. Contra (NES)
  7. Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)
  8. Revenge of Shinobi (Genesis)
  9. Ninja Gaiden (NES)
  10. Castlevania III (NES)

"Other"

1. Cosmic Smash (Dreamcast)
  2. Jet Grind Radio (Dreamcast)
  3. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX (PC)
  4. Pilot Wings (SNES)
  5. Super Buster Bros. (SNES)
  6. Geometry Wars (PC)
  7. Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 (N64)
  8. The Secret of Monkey Island (PC)
  9. Descent II (PC)
  10. Day of The Tentacle (PC)

Action-Adventure

1. Shenmue 2 (Dreamcast)
  2. Shenmue (Dreamcast)
  3. Ninja Gaiden Black (XBOX)
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
  5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past (SNES)
  6. Fur Fighters (PC)
  7. The Legend of Zelda (NES)
  8. Grand Theft Auto: III (PS2)
  9. Spider-Man (2000) (PC)
  10. Super Mario 64 (N64)

Racing Games

1. Ferrari F355 Challenge (Dreamcast)
  2. Outrun (Arcade)
  3. Super Mario Kart (SNES)
  4. Excite Bike (NES)
  5. Outrun 2 (Arcade)
  6. Daytona USA (Arcade)
  7. Super Hang-On (Arcade)
  8. Super Off Road (Arcade)
  9. Test Drive Le Mans (Dreamcast)
  10. Rad Racer (NES)

Fighting Games

1. Virtua Fighter 3tb (Arcade)
  2. Virtua Fighter 2 (Arcade)
  3. Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Arcade)
  4. Soul Calibur (Dreamcast)
  5. Street Fighter II: Championship Edition (Arcade)
  6. Street Fighter 3: Third Strike (Arcade)
  7. Marvel vs Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (Dreamcast)
  8. Capcom vs SNK (Arcade)
  9. Power Stone Wars 2 (Dreamcast)
  10. World Heroes (SNES)

FPS Games

1. Battlefield 3 (PC)
  2. Battlefield 1942 (PC)
  3. Hidden & Dangerous (PC)
  4. DooM II (PC)
  5. Half-Life (PC)
  6. Blood (PC)
  7. Golden Eye (N64)
  8. Ace of Spades (PC)
  9. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (PC)
  10. Call of Duty (PC)

SHMUPS

1. Ikaruga (Dreamcast)
  2. Under Defeat (Dreamcast)
  3. Super Fantasy Zone (Genesis)
  4. Sunset Riders (SNES)
  5. REZ (Dreamcast)
  6. MERCS (Genesis)
  7. Wild Guns (SNES)
  8. Gun Smoke (NES)
  9. Zero Gunner 2 (Dreamcast)
  10. Commando (NES)

RPG Games

1. Mother 3 (GBA)
  2. Earthbound (SNES)
  3. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
  4. Diablo (PC)
  5. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
  6. Dues Ex (PC)
  7. System Shock 2 (PC)
  8. Fallout (PC)
  9. Baldur's Gate (PC)
  10. Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast)

RTS Games

1. Age of Mythology (PC)
  2. Sim City 4 (PC)
  3. General Chaos (Genesis)
  4. Company of Heroes (PC)
  5. Warcraft: Orcs & Humans (PC)
  6. Star wars; Empire at War (PC)
  7. Starcraft (PC)
  8. Sim City 2000 (PC)
  9. Age of Empires (PC)
  10. Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 (PC)

• 2 weeks later...

NHL94

Bill Walsh College Football

Battlefield 1942

Tecmo Super Bowl

Baseball Stars

Tex, did you know that Jim Simmons programmed Bill Walsh College Football, as well as NHLPA 93 and earlier? (And Madden, too.)

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,389039/

That gameplay was emulated with the NullDC, Dreamcast emulator, and was probably captured with FRAPS. Resolution is crystal clear for emulated Dreamcast games. I might have been low on HHD space or something and perhaps I didn't record lossless AVI for that clip which is why it looks so crappy. FWIW, the emulator is more difficult to setup than something like Gens, but it's not that hard, and PlayStation as well as XBOX360 controllers work great with NullDC.

As far as capturing a signal from a Dreamcast: a VGA box is the way to go if you want the best quality picture on the original hardware, since the Dreamcast can do VGA natively.

Back to the topic at hand, here's the rest of my, way-too-long-list-of-other-all-time-favorite-games.

CWize, that list is awesome. I think we were cut from the same cloth when it comes to video game tastes. I've been trying to pick up a copy of Rez (J Version) for months now. I'm not ready to drop the >=$70 going rate at this point since I have it dl'ed to my 360 but I would love to grab a hard copy at some point. Have you played Giga Wing 2 yet? It's the last Capcom game I have to pick up for US DC and it's not coming easy... and I know it won't come cheap but was just wondering if it was a worthy title for the schmup genre.

Also, since you have a lot of DC experience just based on your choices on your lists... if you had the chance to play it yet, what do you think of Cannon Spike?

CWize, that list is awesome. I think we were cut from the same cloth when it comes to video game tastes. I've been trying to pick up a copy of Rez (J Version) for months now. I'm not ready to drop the >=$70 going rate at this point since I have it dl'ed to my 360 but I would love to grab a hard copy at some point. Have you played Giga Wing 2 yet? It's the last Capcom game I have to pick up for US DC and it's not coming easy... and I know it won't come cheap but was just wondering if it was a worthy title for the schmup genre.

Also, since you have a lot of DC experience just based on your choices on your lists... if you had the chance to play it yet, what do you think of Cannon Spike?

Only have the first Giga Wing, but I have played the 2nd, emulated, on NullDC. I like the way you can reflect bullets, but the scoring system is ridiculous (into the trillions) and really aggravating when there are so many coins on the screen along with bullets that it gets you killed.

Bought Cannon Spike years ago. It's short, as most arcade games are, and Capcom games from that era are mostly arcade ports from SEGA-Naomi hardware.

It feels like a mix between Forgotten Worlds and Smash TV, but without the twin sticks, if you've ever played those. Being able to play as Mega Man, Arthur (the knight from Ghouls 'N Ghosts) and other Capcom characters does extend the replay value a bit. The game is more valuable for it's limited print run than it is for the experience, but it's still a good game.

Only have the first Giga Wing, but I have played the 2nd, emulated, on NullDC. I like the way you can reflect bullets, but the scoring system is ridiculous (into the trillions) and really aggravating when there are so many coins on the screen along with bullets that it gets you killed.

Bought Cannon Spike years ago. It's short, as most arcade games are, and Capcom games from that era are mostly arcade ports from SEGA-Naomi hardware.

It feels like a mix between Forgotten Worlds and Smash TV, but without the twin sticks, if you've ever played those. Being able to play as Mega Man, Arthur (the knight from Ghouls 'N Ghosts) and other Capcom characters does extend the replay value a bit. The game is more valuable for it's limited print run than it is for the experience, but it's still a good game.

I bought Giga Wing last month... I feel I may have paid a little too much but it's difficult to come by these days. Looking to find a copy of GW2 but I'm not paying the going price of $250-$300 right now. I enjoy Giga Wing... more so than Mars Matrix which I found a little too difficult. I'm pretty much a schmups noob though. 1942 or Truxton is more my speed. ha

Great comparison for Cannon Spike with FWorlds and Smash TV. I purchased that game back in Oct or Nov... although it is short, I do like the other Capcom characters in the game. Not having twin sticks for that game is a big disappointment though... the game is perfect for that set up and I'm not a big fan of the DC controller. I ordered a pair of DC arcade sticks this week but they'll take awhile to get here from Japan. Hopefully I'll have a better gaming experience using those instead. If you have any DC reccos, let me know!