NHL'94 Forums

How to Score on Computer Goalies

Since around mid 2013 I've wanted to make a goal scoring tutorial, but I've never found the energy to make one. This is because once you have the fundamentals of how to score on a computer goalie, manual goalie trickery comes into play and makes things 100x more crazy. Problem is it's all so hard to fully understand, let alone put into words. Thankfully one day around 6 months ago or so I mustered up the energy to lay down step one of this idea. Step one being making videos on how to score against computer goalies. You might say, what does this crap matter when everyone manual goalies? If you asked that question you'll probably smack yourself in the head in a second because of course, if you can't score on computer goalies then your opponent has no reason to take manual. This is why you not only need a good understanding of how each of these goal techniques work, but you must also be able to execute each of them pretty consistently. These techniques are as important at the top level of 94 competition as they are at the bottom. Without a good understanding of all these methods you will always be missing pieces to the puzzle of goal scoring in this game. That means scoring them, and defending them too. Learn these well, and then we can move onto the complicated crap of manual goalie stuff.

Okay enough fluff. If anyone has any questions about any of the goals or any aspect of scoring, please post here or pm me. Each one of these goals is an individual youtube video on my channel, so if you wanna look at any individual ones feel free to search em up. They aren't really meant to be all mashed together like this but it's easiest to post them this way. I really wish I had the energy to make write-ups for each of these methods but I'm too lazy, and visuals definitely do more for you than textual stuff in this instance. There's no such thing as a dumb question, so ask anythinggggg.

Here they are, in a rough order of personal importance

Dekes -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNQqb7xYUFw

Floaters -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZvrXXxJzNI

Slap Dekes -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohYrIzdO4cc

Crease Cuts -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDUyIDjxDKs

Pass Shots -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTL9C8AEY40

Rebounds -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM0NjglcgBA

Goalie Rams -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVWnRp71aN4

Since Raph (credits to kingraphhhh) already covered slapshots in a video he made a while ago I thought I'd just use that instead of making a new one. He has all the slapper stuff covered. Here it is:

Slapshots -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XChjAiX7jGc

Notes: I don't have every pass shot covered in the vid but those cover the main idea of them. Also, I messed up with goalie ram goals. They don't really fit in, in this case they're just like dekes except you don't press C. Real goalie ram goals are where people speed burst hard into the goalie and he gets rammed out of his crease. I have no idea how those stupid goals work, but they're rare. I just included the vid anyway cuz whatever. The first 6 vids + raph's slapper vid are the important ones.

EDIT: All of these goals were scored with Robert Reichel against Patrick Roy. Reichel is like the most average 94 forward in the world I'd say. 6 weight 4 4 skating 4 4 shot, to illustrate that you don't need a superstar to score. Also, try watching the vids in 720p60fps quality, I think they look pretty :lol:

Edited by TomKabs93
  • Love 1

What are you doing with the dpad when you press b for a pass shot? Taking thumb off, holding up, hitting direction and b together? I ask because randomly I get really slow moving pass shots and I don't know if it has something to do with the timing, deking, etc.

Edited by Scribe99

What are you doing with the dpad when you press b for a pass shot? Taking thumb off, holding up, hitting direction and b together? I ask because randomly I get really slow moving pass shots and I don't know if it has something to do with the timing, deking, etc.

I hold up (for straight pass shots, for diagonal I hold diagonal) while I press B. Gotta time it right, hit B a quick moment after you start holding up. The timing is a little different depending on weird stuff like your angle, but it is generally very similar regardless of the kind of pass shot.

I still think pass shots are overrated, but of course they have their uses. I think you can be just as dangerous without them as long as you have a good understanding of how goal scoring / beating manual goalie mentality works. Most importantly, pass shots are distracting to the 94 player who's trying to learn. Pass shots are so much more strict execution-wise than normal goal scoring strategies, so if you're trying to become a pass shooter then you will almost always dismiss you missing your golden goal scoring opportunities as execution errors. That could maybe distract you from figuring out how the classical goal scoring mindgames work.

I also didn't include onetimers in these videos, but they're pretty easy to learn and hard to teach (I suck at onetiming lol). These videos have every main way of scoring covered with the exception of onetimers though, so I think it's alright.

tldr: If you try pass shots all the time then you're basically playing one player mode when it comes to scoring. Learn pass shots for understanding purposes but don't focus on them too much.

Edited by TomKabs93

I also didn't include onetimers in these videos, but they're pretty easy to learn and hard to teach (I suck at onetiming lol). These videos have every main way of scoring covered with the exception of onetimers though, so I think it's alright.

tldr: If you try pass shots all the time then you're basically playing one player mode when it comes to scoring. Learn pass shots for understanding purposes but don't focus on them too much.

This is great advice on the pass shots. One timers are an interesting technique as well. Some guys like Raph or Skip can seem to set them up at will. I can use them if the chance comes up, but if I try to set up, I either end up getting checked or passing it right to their defenseman. Raph's short one-Ts are pretty impressive as well. He must have freakishly fast hands to pull off a onetime reiterated two players right next to each other.

This is great advice on the pass shots. One timers are an interesting technique as well. Some guys like Raph or Skip can seem to set them up at will. I can use them if the chance comes up, but if I try to set up, I either end up getting checked or passing it right to their defenseman. Raph's short one-Ts are pretty impressive as well. He must have freakishly fast hands to pull off a onetime reiterated two players right next to each other.

Haha, I remember playing Sebe early on and he blasted one of those one-timers where the players are a few frames away and I couldn't believe he used a controller.

It's more of a sliding of thumb from B to C to execute that close, I don't believe I tap twice. I will have to pay attention next time, lol. Reverse is true to execute CB check.

Great stuff TK. I know I've been talking about my strategy site for years now, but I'm still gonna make it happen and include this!

I often wonder if the JOYSTICK you use effects if you can get these point blank one-timers off, or I swear some times I feel I'm playing someone w/ a pre-programmed joystick, where hitting one button gets you a combination off.

I can do the C/B w/out issues, and have no problems getting switches, and all that, but MY one timer passes, if too close always ricochet off the intended receiver and a few guys on here seem to complete them for goals more times than not.

That said, I used to type well over 100/wpm, and I'm now in the 70's on that site for the two tries I did. Maybe my reflexes are getting old.

But, given we all use different PC's and different joysticks w/ different setups, I'm wondering IF I'm playing w/ slight button lag that prevents me from getting those tight one timers off :(

I often wonder if the JOYSTICK you use effects if you can get these point blank one-timers off, or I swear some times I feel I'm playing someone w/ a pre-programmed joystick, where hitting one button gets you a combination off.

I can do the C/B w/out issues, and have no problems getting switches, and all that, but MY one timer passes, if too close always ricochet off the intended receiver and a few guys on here seem to complete them for goals more times than not.

That said, I used to type well over 100/wpm, and I'm now in the 70's on that site for the two tries I did. Maybe my reflexes are getting old.

But, given we all use different PC's and different joysticks w/ different setups, I'm wondering IF I'm playing w/ slight button lag that prevents me from getting those tight one timers off :(

Your joystick can absolutely make a difference. I started with a PS1 controller and adapter, but quit using it after reading that the adapter introduces quite a bit of lag. It's tough to tell, but I think that it made a difference switching to a pc controller. If I didn't already have too many controllers, I'd just bite the bullet and track down one of the Sega Saturn controllers + adapters. We can put a man on the moon, but nobody can seem to make a half decent D'Pad anymore...

Apart from the ricochet, do you ever have the receiving player seize up on you? It happens a lot where the receiving player seems to freeze halfway through the one-timer animation for me.

are you talking about if they have a pass they could receive and you try to speed burst and they are stuck trying a one-timer?

Nope, just stationary. It happens sometimes when my centerman is standing right in front of the net waiting for a one timer.

I get that a lot more when I pass w/ a shirty passer.

I remember a few years ago when I wasn't as good w/ dekes ( not that I'm good now!), I traded bondra because his speed 6 would fly down the ice but his centering passes were the worst (pass rating 2).

Now of course I've learned bondra is not supposed to pass :)

Anyhow, hawwrchuk was a gdl stud for me cause he could take a check, b check & make great centering passes for one timers. Of course, guys do figure out eventually he can't actually score so they stopped chasing him in the corner (except Seth who then got bounced in the playoffs by this tactic).

Edited by Brutus