NHL'94 Forums

General playoff series talk

The Deer

I just figured it'd be nice to have a thread just for general playoff commentary, just observation of the other series and water cooler type chit-chat about what's going on. What series have been surprises, who is looking good so far, stuff like that.

Only two SNES playoff series underway so far, both in the East, and both have yielded surprises!

The first playoff game of the 2006 Spring League season occurred, not surprisingly, between two of the league's most dedicated players, #2 seed the94kid (NY Rangers) and seed #7 Schwartz (Hartford). And the opening game was a bit of a shocker, with Schwartz shutting down the offensive machine Rangers and limiting them to just two goals, hanging on for a very gritty 3-2 win to take a 1-0 series lead. Hartford had stolen home ice advantage and had gotten the split they wanted (to use a couple of pretty overused sports cliches).

In Game Two, however, a pissed off Rangers team came out and did what they're quite capable of doing; filling the net. An easy-looking 7-2 Rangers win in this one, and the series is tied 1-1 going back to Connecticut, where I'm sure it'll be a sea of green and white in the stands and where Brass Bonanza will be pumping at full blast. Was Game One just a fluke or was it a sign that Schwartz is gonna give the Rangers all they can handle? Stay tuned!

The other playoff series to have opened was between the #1 seed in the East Shakazuzu (Montreal) and #8 I Am Blurb. Few people, this scribe included, gave Blurb much of a chance in this series, but when I checked the scoreboard yesterday, I almost jumped out of my chair. Buffalo walks into the hallowed Montreal Forum, where I'm sure the Canadiens hardly lost all season, and stole the first game 5-3. A total shocker, and maybe a sign that this is going to be more of a series than most people thought. Maybe the best thing for Buffalo was to get that "nothing to lose" mentality that came with the tough matchup against Shaka. They've already stolen away home advantage........ can the Sabres possibly sneak out of Montreal with both wins, putting Montreal in a large hole after cruising through the regular season? Or will Montreal start to dominate as everyone expected? In either case, what an upset in the opener of this series, and an almost-as-good upset in the opener of the NYR-Hartford series. Goes to show that the old adage is often true; anything can happen in the playoffs!

Deer,

Keep writing, I love your commentary or "articles".

Coaches,

I haven't given a deadline for Round1 yet, but it's probably time to do so. We'll have it posted on the forums and website once Mat and I decide on a deadline.

I don't want to give deadlines, but that's the only way the league moves along. I think in most cases, there's at least 1 coach who's been looking for the other.

Keep those playoff games rolling!

Great post Deer and I am anticipating the day you get your controller rocking and start the playoff run B)

Buffalo vs Montreal

HUUUUUGE. I don't even know what other word I can use and repeat the letters with to emphasize what a win this is for blurb. The brother rivalry is gonna run hot but after talking with him in a recent exhibition, all 3 brothers in the house (shaka, blurb, slimeball) are all fairly equal and if anyone knows Shakazuzu's tricks its gotta be someone with the same blood RUNNING THROUGH THEIR VEINS!?!? :D I'm looking for Montreal to step up the offence in the coming game but this is gonna be a tough and long series you can quote me out that.

NYR vs Hartford

I wish there was more games to talk about but I'm gonna have to be content with discussing my own series with terry. HE's POWEFUL. His offense is explosive like a combination of ADD + sugar. When he's hot you spend 3/4 of the game just defending your net nevermind getting some opportunities on the other side of the rink. Game 1 was me being a lucky ass. Game 2 was closer to the level of skill we both have and Game 3 was AWESOME. I don't want to take anything away from Terry b/c he's playing some great hockey, but I managed to go through the 1st period and part of the 2nd with a constant 2-3 guys in the box and came out of it all with a 3-1 loss. Again not to be down on terry but I need to make love to that post tonight in hopes that more of my big opportunities will find net instead of the iron. I'm gonna do my best to make this one a series but Game 4 is gonna be a big one tonight :).

Great post Schwartz, and trust me I'm totally raring to go for my playoff series, just waiting for my controller to return from its trip to Rudy's house to get pimped up!!!! When I get it back I'll msg your ass for a few exhis to get the blood flowing again, and then I'll seek out Pat Brady like Keith Tkachuk sought out Big Macs during the lockout!!!!!!!!!

lol goodstuff boys and totally agree with u schwartz the whole game your were pretty much in the box and i got a scare the end of the game if u remember i was up 2-1 then u came down hit the post i got the puck and went the other way to score :D....could have been alot dif and you played a great game...gonna have to get some of alexander's ale in me to get that offense goin :)

good call deer on the predictions....4-2 and a hard fought battle ...couple ot games and the winning game i somehow got 3 quick ones in the 3rd after what looked like might be another ot game

coming into the series did not take this guy lightly at all and am still in shock as to how his record is beyond underachieving for this cat's skillz

again great series schwartz and great play....and we finally see a higher seed advance in these crazy playoffs

Just logged on and saw the scores and read your short little recap Biff, and WOW did that ever look like an awesome series! Except for Game 2, all super tight games, including a couple of OTs, between two guys who might have more passion for 94 than any other two guys I know. Wish I coulda watched these games, for real!!!

Just looking around the playoffs, look at all the close games and OT games, it's weird how even on a video game, the games get tighter come playoff time.

Anyways great series boys, looks like it was a classic.

Just played game one in the STL-DET series. Guys, watch out! Slime is dangerous. He pretty much outplayed me in every facet of the game. Unless I can pick it up significantly, Detroit may take this series in four! Great game one slime.

I know it man, I nominated Slimeball for the "best 'better than their record' coach" award, and in fact he might be my pick to come out of the Western/Campbell Conference.

Well finally we have a bit more SNES playoff to talk about, as Rudy and McMarkis completed their series last night.

I was totally bang-on when I predicted that it would go 7 games, that it'd go down to the wire, that it might include a couple of OTs, and that it might very well go down as the best of the eight first round series. Look at those results, I was right on all counts!!!!!!!!

Except I picked the wrong winner!!! Congrats to Rudy on knocking off one of the better players out there under what musta been pretty stressful circumstances, OT of a wild and wooly 9-8 Game Seven. Leave it to Rudy to find a way to stay "relaxed" in such a tight situation. :) hahahaha

Also huge is coming back from a 3-2 series deficit, not too often that happens. Rudy man you have totally proven me wrong in my predictions and as a token of apology, I pick you to knock off Jota in the next round!!! 6 games man.

Anyway one thing I was right about was that that was going to be a deadly series, and wow look at it, seven games, THREE OTs, OT in Game 7, tons of goals, it'll be hard for any playoff series in either league to top that one. Having played against both of them a fair bit I knew they were about as equal as it gets in ability and that it'd be a nailbiter.

Great stuff boys!!

Now if only I could find New Jersey, we need to have all three of the CB boys in rd 2, and I wanna get in there the real way, not through Forfeit Road, aka "the back door". We all know that the only NHL 94 player from CB who goes "back door" is Biff anyway. :huh:

Well finally we have a bit more SNES playoff to talk about, as Rudy and McMarkis completed their series last night.

I was totally bang-on when I predicted that it would go 7 games, that it'd go down to the wire, that it might include a couple of OTs, and that it might very well go down as the best of the eight first round series. Look at those results, I was right on all counts!!!!!!!!

Except I picked the wrong winner!!! Congrats to Rudy on knocking off one of the better players out there under what musta been pretty stressful circumstances, OT of a wild and wooly 9-8 Game Seven. Leave it to Rudy to find a way to stay "relaxed" in such a tight situation. :) hahahaha

Also huge is coming back from a 3-2 series deficit, not too often that happens. Rudy man you have totally proven me wrong in my predictions and as a token of apology, I pick you to knock off Jota in the next round!!! 6 games man.

Anyway one thing I was right about was that that was going to be a deadly series, and wow look at it, seven games, THREE OTs, OT in Game 7, tons of goals, it'll be hard for any playoff series in either league to top that one. Having played against both of them a fair bit I knew they were about as equal as it gets in ability and that it'd be a nailbiter.

Great stuff boys!!

Now if only I could find New Jersey, we need to have all three of the CB boys in rd 2, and I wanna get in there the real way, not through Forfeit Road, aka "the back door". We all know that the only NHL 94 player from CB who goes "back door" is Biff anyway. :huh:

Man this was an intense series... right from game 1. I should have lost game 1 considering I was down 3-2 with 16 seconds to play in the third. McMarkis is freakin awesome. I don't think there is a weak aspect to his game... and he excels at 1-timers and goaltending. I can't count the times I thought I scored only to realize he made a stupid save. Anyhoo... kudos to McMarkis on an awesome playoff series, it could have gone either way.

rudy

• 2 weeks later...

Well the first round of the SNES playoffs is finally in the books, I just wanna look back a bit first at Rd 1 before going on to look ahead to Rd 2.

Too bad to see two of the west series have to be forfeits, but hopefully that's it for those for these playoffs. In the series that were played, we saw Slimeball beat Cajanek in six games in what I still predict is Slimeball's march to the final, he's been my pick to come out of the West since the playoffs started. Kudos to Cajanek on a great season in which he made huge strides after a rough start. We also saw the best series of the first round, bar none, and likely the best series of EITHER playoffs (SNES and GENS) between Rudy and McMarkis. Seven games, three OTs, including Game 7 going to OT- how can that series possibly be topped? I seriously wish I coulda watched that one!

In the East we saw the top four seeds advance, as many expected, as these four were pretty powerful for most of the regular season. Montreal survived a slight scare (losing Game One to the brother) and came back and convincingly took the next four. Rumour has it that the trip to Cuba did the Sabres in. ;) The Rangers survived a VERY tough test from Hartford, both players told me afterwards that the series was so intense and close at times that their hands were literally shaking as they played. Love it! Boston beat Washington in six, too bad Washington was a bit rusty in the first two games, otherwise this one might have been even closer- it's said that their last four games were awesome. And Quebec swept New Jersey after the two almost couldn't play their series due to various problems, very relieved that we got it in.

I'd like to point out how well I did in the predictions department prior to rd 1!!! I nailed NYR-HFD and BOS-WAS bang-on. I also might have gotten DET-STL bang on, just can't remember if I picked five or six for Det but I might have nailed it with the six. And I called CHI-VAN going seven games, just picked the wrong winner. :)

For rd 2:

- Obviously not going to be making any predictions on the Montreal-Quebec series (Battle of Quebec holy s**t that's cool!!!), but here's to it being a good one.

- NYR-Boston should be freaking TIGHT!!!!!! These are two just AWESOME players, and I'm sorry I call this one going seven games. Absolutely crazy that either of these guys is going to be out in rd 2, both are guys that are good enough to win the entire league, but that's how good the Wales Conference is, and that's how good this league is. Still can't believe how many great players I've met in this, I really thought me and my buddies back home were the only ones who were this hardcore! Anyway back on topic, we have the insane offence and underrated defence of NYR going up against the oh-so-well-rounded game of Boston. Can totally go either way and it's so close that the only thing I'm gonna base my decision on is a total homer (homo? :o ) pick- gonna go with my boy Biff in seven tight ones (tight ones? :o ). Just because I love the guy.

Prediction: NYR IN 7

- Edmonton/Vancouver is gonna be AWESOME!! These are two serious players with serious skills, and both have been getting better and better as the league has gone on. Jota ripped it up great as a replacement coach, and Rudy only had an OK start but finished strong and looked great in rd 1 of the playoffs. And at the risk of saying this so often that it sounds like a cliche, these guys are VERY evenly matched, should be tight games all the way, a lot of goals too. Despite Jota's greatness, I get the feeling that Rudy is on fire, and that he's the man of the current hour in these playoffs. The kid is peaking at the right time. That and I owe him one after putting my money on McMarkis last round. :)

Prediction: VAN IN 6

- Detroit/Dallas is another battle of two solid coaches, although I still have yet to play Blazer and therefore don't fully understand the extent of his greatness. :) Kinda hard to say much else about this series for that reason, but I'm gonna go with Slimeball in a six-pack of good games.

Prediction: DET IN 6

The final eight look pretty good to me, let's get this s**t on the go!!!!!!!

Anyone else have any thoughts?

I finally got around to voting in the awards thread! I now have time to post in lots of threads, because Slimeball just kicked my ass out of the playoffs. :-) Great series Slime. I don't envy your opponents the rest of the way through.

I finally got around to voting in the awards thread! I now have time to post in lots of threads, because Slimeball just kicked my ass out of the playoffs. :-) Great series Slime. I don't envy your opponents the rest of the way through.

Definitly was an awesome series...if you take away that rusty start, it coulda easily went either way!

Congrats on a well played season and playoff!

Now i have a tough one against Dallas, i remember him killing me 5-1 on one of my last season games...i got some trainin to do!

• 2 weeks later...

Holy s**t what a series between Jota and Rudy! Congrats boys on what looks like a barnburner- might have been just as good as the Rudy-McMarkis series that I thought couldn't be topped.

Seven games, three OTs, none decided by more than two goals- talk about tight games! Couldn't ask for better in the playoffs, and it's amazing that a bunch of guys randomly got together and made a league and ended up being so close in ability- you'd think there'd be huge dropoffs here and there in the talent pool (there are FOR SURE everywhere I play in person, there's a few very good guys then the rest of the pack) but look at these playoff results so far, the parity is very very impressive.

My sympathies to Rudy on what must have been a heartbreaker, winning three OTs and having a 3-1 series lead yet still losing the series. I think Rudy was 5-1 overall in OTs in these playoffs, impressive stat for sure. Congrats to Jota on the series win and the comeback!

Great to see a series finally getting done, and even better to see it be so down to the wire. Shaka and I should be up and running very soon, if not today then sometime this weekend.

This series was so closeee all way long!!!!

Curious thing, even if i did a comeback in the series. Rudy always did a comeback in the 3th period!! I was always leading before the third period starts, and then he egalise to go to the OT period!! In OT his to strong. My comebacks start when i put Klima in center. But loosing 3-1 i thank that it was over. Bure and Linden amazing player. TKS to for this amazing series!!!

JotaC

Note: Waiting for blazer on the final of conferance :P

Just in case you didn't notice Slimeball, Blazer made a post in the "Schedule A Game" forum, stating that he'd be ready to play starting Monday night (tonight).

• 3 weeks later...

"Prediction: NYR IN 7"

Oh yes, Deer calls another series bang-on! I gots prognostication skills baby. In fact I've called NYR's entire playoffs so far, also picked him to beat Hartford in six. :)

Great to see NYR and Boston finally (after an absolute eternity) get their series done, and congrats to both on a very hard-fought series. Boston almost pulled off the miracle comeback from an 0-3 deficit, but NYR remained cool during a Game 7 situation where a lot of guys might have panicked after letting go of a 3-0 lead.

Now we have Biff and I, which is THE rivalry back home- almost every championship played on console over the past year has seen he and I meeting in the final. In fact this 94 online season wouldn't have felt complete if there wasn't a Biff-Deer playoff series. This time the stakes are higher- the East title and more importantly, the right to go on to play JotaC for the Stanley Cup!

Here's to an epic series that more than does justice to one of the biggest rivalries in 94 - Biff vs Deer!