NHL'94 Forums

King of 94 Tournament - Feedback / Improvements

smozoma

Any reason you guys just don't pick the teams? Maybe add a rule that team selection is free unless one guy objects. I'm surprised people were playing ANA/FLA at an NHL '94 Tournament. Makes no sense to me, I'm pretty sure most players would rather not play...

This is what I'd put together, figuring it would help when selecting teams - and of course setting line-ups.

ScreenClip000008.jpg

I was hesitant to break it out, that is until everyone else pulled out their notebooks and flashcards.. hilarious.

Admittedly, other than playing Blitz I didn't exi a lot in preperation, but the idea of match-ups really freaked me out... and when someone brought up home/road advantages it really sent me for a loop.

So if you are selecting teams, you need to select two teams that are weak at home and good on the road? Do those teams exist?

One other suggestion I have, sort of related to the tournament, is...let's not smash anything with sledgehammers when we're on a top floor of a hotel. It was hilarious but not worth the hassle we got since the people below us understandably were pretty unamused.

If anyone can show me exactly what "strong home ice advantage" or "weak road ice disadvantage" does, please share. We should be careful not to overthink this.

I need to look at the code again because my notes from years ago don't make sense.

I'm pretty sure strong home (2 in EARE) means you get +0.4 to your ShA, StH, & Pas (so if a guy is a 3 StH and not hot or cold, he's 3.4).

Home and Away advantages somehow combine to affect OffAw and DefAw but my notes are unclear about how it works (but does anyone really use the Awareness values to evaluate players in drafts?).

One other suggestion I have, sort of related to the tournament, is...let's not smash anything with sledgehammers when we're on a top floor of a hotel. It was hilarious but not worth the hassle we got since the people below us understandably were pretty unamused.

This cracks me up. Thought the same.

LOL

It was all so overwhelming in a wonderful way.

Yeah, perfectly put. It was a surreal, and I could barely process what was going on. Hopefully next time when we have you, AJ, Ice, Seth/Buck, EA, Smoz, Bok, Witt, VC, KG, Brutus, Smoz, Evan, Zepp, Sebe, etc in the same vicinity, we can organize exis/games better!

The coin toss winner didn't seem to get much of an advantage.

Option for next time, the winner gets to pick the 2 teams and and get home ice.

Separate check-in and score reporting tables.

Different colored name tags based on group A,B,C etc

Other than that, flawless.

^

LOL

Yeah, perfectly put. It was a surreal, and I could barely process what was going on. Hopefully next time when we have you, AJ, Ice, Seth/Buck, EA, Smoz, Bok, Witt, VC, KG, Brutus, Smoz, Evan, Zepp, Sebe, etc in the same vicinity, we can organize exis/games better!

I agree totally. I would have loved to played some exhis with everyone i only had the chance to play with a few guys.

Haha yeah. It also didn't help it was midnight. I think the people in the room next door complained, they were old fogies, Raph and I saw them when we were leaving.

I DO like the idea of having the coin flip winner be able to choose teams or choose home ice. Keeps the same system, but allows people who like playing at home keep that choice.

Completely agree with this point.

Smoz, that was an amazing excel model. I can't imagine the work that took but thank you so much for putting that together. I know updating was tough in a portion of the morning session but it really went off without a hitch.

Well, besides the fact you gave yourself a loss that you couldn't reverse. ;) ... but I do appreciate you giving me the chance to top seed the B-Bracket. haha

I know I am in a minority here, but it would have been nice to have the keyboard option. I often play locally on 1 PC with 2 players.

Myself & Frey (and some others perhabs) would have probably gone if the event wasn't just on cuntrollers.

But hey, this event was a tribute to the orignal 94 who was played with a cuntroller only.

Cheers to everyone who attended the event. GA be with you.

This is what I'd put together, figuring it would help when selecting teams - and of course setting line-ups.

ScreenClip000008.jpg

I was hesitant to break it out, that is until everyone else pulled out their notebooks and flashcards.. hilarious.

Admittedly, other than playing Blitz I didn't exi a lot in preperation, but the idea of match-ups really freaked me out... and when someone brought up home/road advantages it really sent me for a loop.

So if you are selecting teams, you need to select two teams that are weak at home and good on the road? Do those teams exist?

Nice note for the next tournemant ! :)

Any reason you guys just don't pick the teams? Maybe add a rule that team selection is free unless one guy objects. I'm surprised people were playing ANA/FLA at an NHL '94 Tournament. Makes no sense to me, I'm pretty sure most players would rather not play...

In regards to picking expansion team match-ups, it's a preference to not give a skilled coach, skilled players. It forces them to play in a style they're not used to, while you yourself may be comfortable with the slower pace and unskilled players. Smart strategy that can pay off, yet makes for a boring ass game surely. But in a tournament this huge, winning is what matters, especially with $ and bragging rights (for life) on the line.

Edited by Uncle Seth

I had a great time and was amazed at how smooth the tournament ran.

My only suggestion for next time would be to consider getting a venue that would give us more space. I thought by the afternoon, our section of the restaraunt was really crammed and noisy, making it hard to get around, watch other matches, and talk to people.

With that said, though, Real Sports was definitely right environment for the first tournament and to feature in the movie.

Edited by Wittgenstein

Congrats to Witt for making his return to the game after a way too long haitus. Strong showing man, awesome to have you back. I know you prepared well with Voc and both of you were very tough opponents. Zepp was on fire too, raised his game bigtime lately. Keep it up boys. TK, very impressive deep run, especially considering you've been out of commission in online play for many months. Still the best 1 on 0 deker in the game. Nothing needs to be said about the other top guys, you've been blown enough on here, but deservingly so.

I meant that for the originator of the lineups

:)

A few of those line-ups are known to me including BUF, QUE, CGY, VAN so the line-ups listed were simply guidelines. The spreadsheet was mainly to use Raph's team groupings (picking teams within a group/tier of each other) and to set lines for teams like ANH, FLA, SJ etc..

:)

A few of those line-ups are known to me including BUF, QUE, CGY, VAN so the line-ups listed were simply guidelines. The spreadsheet was mainly to use Raph's team groupings (picking teams within a group/tier of each other) and to set lines for teams like ANH, FLA, SJ etc..

well Dale is offended :cry::cry: :cry:

First, Hawerchuk is the guy. If you want to pull Dale, Errey is not the guy to put in.

I just did the stats for the coin toss. It came out that the coin toss winner won 53.7% of 190 times we have recorded all the information. That puts 50% in the confidence interval so we can't say that the method was anything other than fair. It still might be unfair, but it can't be deduced from our results and appears unlikely.

I know some people picked some ridiculous matchups. I believe a SJ v Chicago was out there for KG. So there is a chance this would be different with more advanced players. The finals bracket produced a 48.78% chance the coin toss winner won, but obviously a smaller sample size.

Nonetheless, I think these are good results. Even in there is some luck involved, there is luck involved in the game as well ie Klima going down when you are playing with Edmonton.

the stats point to be the method being great.

Good work on the stats Zep. I had heard via the verbal rumor during the tourney that the coin toss winners were winning most of the games.

As for the Klima injury, I was watching that one, and it was 3-1 in the first, and didn't look good for you bud, as Raph was looking like Raph. Maybe you had the comeback still in you, but AFTER Klima went down, I left to watch another game, and I assume anyone w/ Edmonton sans Klima down 3-1 was losing, so we will never know.

But, I'd bet good money that one was heading more along the same path w/ or w/out Klima.

In regards to picking expansion team match-ups, it's a preference to not give a skilled coach, skilled players. It forces them to play in a style they're not used to, while you yourself may be comfortable with the slower pace and unskilled players. Smart strategy that can pay off, yet makes for a boring ass game surely. But in a tournament this huge, winning is what matters, especially with $ and bragging rights (for life) on the line.

In other words.. the winner can be easily determined by who wins the coin toss and NOT who the better player is. Just like TomKabs/angryjay. Seems really stupid to me. Of course the weaker player is at a great advantage with this kind of tactic. Why should a weaker opponent get a clear edge based on a coin toss?This is a strategy that the opposing player cannot adjust to which is a clear handicap imo.

The best NHL'94 player is obviously not going to play with ANH/FLA, he/she will play with the teams they perform best with. When you don't have free reign to play with who you want, how can you play at 100%?