NHL'94 Forums

King of 94 Tournament - Feedback / Improvements

smozoma

I think one of the purposes of tourney was to prove who could play with any team at any time. That was actually mentioned in Mikeys pre-tourney presser.

Prevents a guy from always using a team he loves and proves flexibility of level of play despite roster.

I think one of the purposes of tourney was to prove who could play with any team at any time. That was actually mentioned in Mikeys pre-tourney presser.

Prevents a guy from always using a team he loves and proves flexibility of level of play despite roster.

There it is ^

In other words.. the winner can be easily determined by who wins the coin toss and NOT who the better player is. Just like TomKabs/angryjay. Seems really stupid to me. Of course the weaker player is at a great advantage with this kind of tactic. Why should a weaker opponent get a clear edge based on a coin toss?This is a strategy that the opposing player cannot adjust to which is a clear handicap imo.

The best NHL'94 player is obviously not going to play with ANH/FLA, he/she will play with the teams they perform best with. When you don't have free reign to play with who you want, how can you play at 100%?

Plabax, I think in this case you might have clung to an idea too tightly. The stats say the coin toss determined little as the percentages came out to ~50%. If we were to do what you said, my guess is the home/away advantage becomes more pronounced meaning there is more luck involved. Two equal players, playing against each other with their best teams, the home away advantage will really help one over the other.

The fact the coin toss stats came out as good implies this is a fair test.

Again, this is a balancing question and a format designed to produce a fair results. It appears it did, AS WELL it got a good turnout and was a fun way to play.

I would be less likely to attend a tournament where everyone picks their team. That was how people played fighting games, but not really how games like this were played again because the teams are intentionally unbalanced to reflect real life.

If I wanted to bet on games on NHL94 with you, this would be a good way to do it. We would do random teams when I was in college, with one rejection. This is much better than that.

Someone smart said this, you can't trust yourself, you can't trust your mother, you can't trust you friends, but you can trust a market. This tournament successfully attracted enough people to come to it. If they did what you are suggesting I doubt it would have been as popular, but as I said, I can't trust myself either.

Edited by kylewat

Plabax, I think in this case you might have clung to an idea too tightly. The stats say the coin toss determined little as the percentages came out to ~50%. If we were to do what you said, my guess is the home/away advantage becomes more pronounced meaning there is more luck involved. Two equal players, playing against each other with their best teams, the home away advantage will really help one over the other.

The fact the coin toss stats came out as good implies this is a fair test.

Again, this is a balancing question and a format designed to produce a fair results. It appears it did, AS WELL it got a good turnout and was a fun way to play.

I would be less likely to attend a tournament where everyone picks their team. That was how people played fighting games, but not really how games like this were played again because the teams are intentionally unbalanced to reflect real life.

If I wanted to bet on games on NHL94 with you, this would be a good way to do it. We would do random teams when I was in college, with one rejection. This is much better than that.

Someone smart said this, you can't trust yourself, you can't trust your mother, you can't trust you friends, but you can trust a market. This tournament successfully attracted enough people to come to it. If they did what you are suggesting I doubt it would have been as popular, but as I said, I can't trust myself either.

Trust Dat ^

This is so dumb lol. If you go play sports games anywhere else you literally are allowed to pick any team you want barring national teams, all-star teams, etc.

FIFA, NBA, Madden, NHL leagues always have free reign in choosing teams. It's just the most logical way to play the game.

Being great with many teams has nothing to do with being the best. Not only that, but you most likely won't be playing at your best if you can't land the team you play best with..

The BEST player would be someone who displays the absolute best ability to play the game of NHL '94. The best player is obviously not going to play with Anaheim or Florida to prove themselves. I think we have gotten to used to switching teams when playing exis. I remember when I was noob and I would get mad at Seth for only picking the Red Wings. My brother and I would always pick the same team, so I think I had been brainwashed by all the exis.

I should add that it is very common for someone to be exceptionally better with 1-3 teams than they are with the rest. It probably goes that way for everyone here.

You play at 100% with 1-3 teams, and about 90% with the next 3, and about 75% with the next 5.So obviously the best player would realistically hover over 3 different teams.

Edited by Premium

I think most this feedback has been mentioned already:

1) Allow more than 1 person to log games when there's a lot of games happening at once.

2) Possibly have a mobile-friendly editable bracket right on the nhl94online website instead of the google doc. It seemed to be getting bogged down and was hard to follow on phones.

3) Have 1 "larger" screen (tablet, laptop) per group displaying the latest bracket info.

4) Have the games played in a setup that allows plenty of spectators. The booths were tough.

5) Have each game assigned to a console # so the players know where to meet.

6) A group picture of everyone together (don't think we got this)

As others have mentioned, I really wanted to play all the guys from the forum at least once but only got to play a few. Whether we changed the bracket format or had a 2-day event where day 1 was the seeding and day 2 was the brackets, I think all would agree we didn't get to play against enough forum buds. I think I managed 2 or 3 exis, and no 2on2. And, I promised Halifax a game of Snes '94 and we never had the chance.

Also, for those who missed it:

At the end of the night, Halifax and Mikey received awards from KingRaph, Chaos, and myself. They were:

1) Halifax - 2015 Super Bud

2) Mikey - 2015 Bud of the Year

Thanks again everyone for helping making this happen and a big success!

-Evan

This is so dumb lol. If you go play sports games anywhere else you literally are allowed to pick any team you want barring national teams, all-star teams, etc.

FIFA, NBA, Madden, NHL leagues always have free reign in choosing teams. It's just the most logical way to play the game.

Being great with many teams has nothing to do with being the best. Not only that, but you most likely won't be playing at your best if you can't land the team you play best with..

After playing in a live NHL94 tourney with the option to choose your own team, I'll take the Ko94 tourney format any day of the week. While I respect your opinion, I do think a true champ can persevere with any team. In a triple elimination format, it would be tough to take down the guy whose supposed to win that many times, even at the lowest level teams.

However, another thing to keep in mind with pick-your-own-team tourney, it's boring to play and even more boring to watch the same couple teams to play one another for an entire tournament.

ChiTown has EA, Jagr, Wally, Dickon & me for GENS that I know of, so that's a decent start to a name list for a tourney.

I also think there are about 3-4 SNES guys, but I always forget which guys are which.

Pick your own team in the Madden tourney's completely blows. Plabs is wrong. The rest of us who were there realized it was a good format and the variety added something to the "skill" challenge. Most guys freshened up on teams they didn't know to BE PREPARED. It also made WATCHING the tourney (half of the fun) more interesting.

The ONLY major play against a top guy was AJ vs Tk. Tk lost 2 other games, so he can't say that's his reason for losing, and AJ live played very, very tough.

I for one would not show up for a Chicago Vs Detroit fest unless I had nothing else to do, which is what the "pick your own tourney" was half the time in Chicago I went to.

I WOULD however be heavily in favor of any tourney that allows keyboards.

#1 JUST TO SEE HOW THE F&CK you guys do it!

#2 To meet more of the forum guys who won't show up otherwise.

#3 Having already done Kingof'94 w/out it, the best of the console and all that promo isn't as "important" imo. Adding the keyboard wrinkle would be a cool new element.

ChiTown has EA, Jagr, Wally, Dickon & me for GENS that I know of, so that's a decent start to a name list for a tourney.

I also think there are about 3-4 SNES guys, but I always forget which guys are which.

Pick your own team in the Madden tourney's completely blows. Plabs is wrong. The rest of us who were there realized it was a good format and the variety added something to the "skill" challenge. Most guys freshened up on teams they didn't know to BE PREPARED. It also made WATCHING the tourney (half of the fun) more interesting.

The ONLY major play against a top guy was AJ vs Tk. Tk lost 2 other games, so he can't say that's his reason for losing, and AJ live played very, very tough.

I for one would not show up for a Chicago Vs Detroit fest unless I had nothing else to do, which is what the "pick your own tourney" was half the time in Chicago I went to.

This to me doesn't make sense. I'll use myself as an example. Normally I'd say I have a 75/25 or 80/20 chance at beating angryjay in a game of NHL '94. In a game with ANA/FLA, that definitely drops to 50/50 at best, and that's kind of stupid. Your success as a player is only defined through how you play at your best. You can't play your best with a team you don't want to play with. It can just so happen that the teams selected in the coin toss result in a team you aren't very good with while the opponent (who won the coin toss) guarantees a team he can perform well with. To me, this is a clear luck factor.. Either you win the coin toss or you most likely play with a team you would never pick. This is essentially how it would be played if the skill gap between the players were closer.

Look at this scenario:

I would never play with LA/CGY/WPG/MTL/BUF. The best chance any opponent of mine would have at beating me would be to WIN the coin toss, and then select two teams from LA/CGY/WPG/MTL/BUF.. If I were to win the coin toss, I would just select a combination that does not include any of those teams and I'd have a very strong chance at winning. Now, what if my opponent plays best with one of those teams? If I were to win the coin toss, they would lose for sure. If they were to win the coin toss, I would lose for sure.

LOL. A true champ can "persevere" with any team. There is definitely nobody here who has that qualification.

Well sorry man, I disagree... in fact, I saw it for myself at the tourney. How about you... what did you notice there? Ohhhh that's right, you weren't there.

Well sorry man, I disagree... in fact, I saw it for myself at the tourney. How about you... what did you notice there? Ohhhh that's right, you weren't there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_burn_centers_in_the_United_States

With a purse that size, I don't see how you'd prevent people from picking Chicago, or any other powerhouse every time. Really couldn't blame them, either.

Basically, you are against a format that doesn't benefit you.

Because you beat AJ 80% of the time w/ the stronger teams but lose to him 50% of the time w/ lesser teams does not mean this format is inferior. IN fact, half of the guys might find they play better with crappier teams and the merit of the format is just as strong.

With the current setup, you had to play with any team at any time but either PICKED the matchup, or the team from that matchup. So, in one instance of a flip of the coin, you could make sure the matchup was of two teams of your choosing.

In the other, it was at least giving you the choice of a pair.

AND, if you lost the coin flip, the next time you matched up that opponent, the opposite coin flip was applied. SO, AJ would not be able to force you to play twice in a row w/ the wrong teams.

Nobody there complained much about the way the team picking was set up. It was a non-issue for the most part. That's what also made the tourney so great. Bunch of chill characters and no problems with anyone in particular. No one bitched about this or that. Very mature crowd, refreshing for a change.

In the future, I'd like to see the vets ranked by a combination of several stats like overall winning percentage, GF-GA differential, number of league championships, playoff records/appearances and such. And that can play into how coaches are organized into divisions. But I realize this may not be possible with so many stats MIA.

If that isn't feasible, maybe the next tournament can be done over the course of two days with the first day (as someone mentioned) being a qualifying day. Then stats from that day can be utilized to place everyone who attended into divisions for the next day.

Edited by Uncle Seth

Nobody there complained much about the way the team picking was set up. It was a non-issue for the most part. That's what also made the tourney so great. Bunch of chill characters and no problems with anyone in particular. No one bitched about this or that. Very mature crowd, refreshing for a change.

In the future, I'd like to see the vets ranked by a combination of several stats like overall winning percentage, GF-GA differential, number of league championships, playoff records/appearances and such. And that can play into how coaches are organized into divisions. But I realize this may not be possible with so many stats MIA.

If that isn't feasible, maybe the next tournament can be done over the course of two days with the first day (as someone mentioned) being a qualifying day. Then stats from that day can be utilized to place everyone who attended into divisions for the next day.

Shut up clown 😀😀😀😀😀

It is a balancing issue. Games played today are updated multiple times a year, therefore the teams change, therefore the game changes. This game is static. It isn't an apples to apples comparison when there are midyear balancing and roster changes in Madden!

Edited by kylewat

It could be because we old folk are used to playing games with our friends on a couch, and switching teams was part of the fun and necessary for interesting competition and we didn't take it all that seriously.