NHL'94 Forums

King of 94 Tournament - Feedback / Improvements

smozoma

When you have something of this magnitude and, though I was not there, I did not read any major grievances against the system and the fairness of it that tells you IMO to not make any major changes.

I think if we do this tournament next year i was coming and had convinced my offline buds to make a weekend of it as well. As for the chicago mini-tourney that sounds like an excellent idea.

totally ZERO complaints here on how things were run and the rules. AMAZING time.

Just when you go through a process for the first time you start thinking about future improvements and potential changes. I honestly can't remember the last time I had this much fun.

Yeah, still on a high from that day.

..and agreed. If the exact same event occurred next year, in exactly the same manner - I'd have no problem shelling another $45 to attend.

At first I thought it was a bit over powered to have the coin toss loser get home ice and team selection but after the matchups I picked when I won the coin toss I realized that I did have a lot of power. Id try to pick teams with low home Ice advantage or two teams that fit a style of Matchup that I wanted.

I don't really understand where plabax thought process lies. First thing he said was to avoid picking good teams so cheesers get powered down but then runs over the fact that I picked anh/fla.do you want cheesers to be powered down or guys to be able to pick Chicago 100% of the time? Pick a hole.

Plus, what I remember from fifa ranked matchups is that you played games against like rated teams and even then you still got plenty of unfair matchups. I always picked teams like Porto, Palermo, boca Jr's, etc., and I always ran up against a train of Barcelona, Madrid, and Brazil national teams. Id have to play s**t tier teams to get truly even matchups.

All I can say plab is show up to the next tournament. No one had large gripes with the format except for you and you weren't there. The hell do you know. If you don't like me or think that my game is a joke based on a collection of gimmicks then I insist you come to the next event and settle things with you and I sitting in front of a TV with controllers in our hands.

I wouldn't want to lose to a worse player becuz of a coin toss.. If we matched up and I won the coin toss, you would have no shot at beating me. If we matched up and you won the coin toss, you could easily flip the match-up in your favour which makes no sense to me? You guys are too close in skill to see it anyway. For someone like me who is miles ahead of everyone else in terms of win percentage, You would see the huge difference between my win/loss record when winning and losing the coin toss. Think 34-0 vs 15-19

To hell with home advantage. Isn't the best home record of all-time posted with Icestorm and the NYI?

Picking ANH/FLA just makes any game between two good players 50/50 by neutralizing the strong points of a player's game. Note, a cheeser is not a good player. The point of picking worse teams against a cheeser is to take away his cheese so you can beat him down 10-0.

What is wrong with people picking Chicago 100% of the time? Just because Chicago is the best team in the game, it doesn't mean that Chicago gives the best chance at winning. Even then, anyone would be free to pick Chicago as well... so this is how you would truly determine who the better player is.

Plabax, if against top players you can win 100% of the time you win the coin toss and 50% of the time you don't, you will still win the tournament 99% of the time. What a horribly broken system.

Meanwhile, the rest of us mere mortals would like to have some fun at a tournament, rather that use it as a vehicle for measuring our self-worth.

Some tennis players play better on clay. Some drivers have an advantage when it's raining. It's not the end of the world when you don't get to play in ideal circumstances all the time.

So how is the system where I win 99% instead of 100% a good system? The best player should not have a chance at being eliminated because of a coin toss... lol

It's a good system because otherwise no one will be there to play against?

Moving on, do you have any ideas other than free teams?

So how is the system where I win 99% instead of 100% a good system? The best player should not have a chance at being eliminated because of a coin toss... lol

Have you ever played NHL94 on a Gensis or SNES, while seated next to your opponent?

Have you ever played NHL94 on a Gensis or SNES, while seated next to your opponent?

There's definitely a social element to an in person tourney. Big time difference sitting at home versus in front of dozens of people watching and commenting.

Plabax, if against top players you can win 100% of the time you win the coin toss and 50% of the time you don't, you will still win the tournament 99% of the time. What a horribly broken system.

Meanwhile, the rest of us mere mortals would like to have some fun at a tournament, rather that use it as a vehicle for measuring our self-worth.

Some tennis players play better on clay. Some drivers have an advantage when it's raining. It's not the end of the world when you don't get to play in ideal circumstances all the time.

^ great analogy

There's definitely a social element to an in person tourney. Big time difference sitting at home versus in front of dozens of people watching and commenting.

i cannot express how true this statement is, the added pressure is immense. Ppl and camera and noise its a total different feel.

^^ Ditto.

I've been writing my recap/diary to post...it's MAAAAD long, but I wanted to write everything down before I forgot. Hopefully I can finish tonight, lol.

I'm working on my recap as well, hopefully I can post something tomorrow or Friday. But as Jer pointed out, still flying high from that awesome weekend.

Hey Raph, I know you said yours is going to be long but if you feel the need to edit down, you can always shed some story time on how you smoked me in the Final tourney. haha ;)

i cannot express how true this statement is, the added pressure is immense. Ppl and camera and noise its a total different feel.

As the resident giant choker I can say that I didn't feel any added pressure. Online I feel alone in my shame/glory and it's way more intense.

Hey Guys! First of all, thanks everybody for the amazing saturday. Me (Roberto) and my cousin (Caio) -AKA The Brazilian guys- are still talking about the tournament. I still not believe that I finish at the top 10!

My comments:

Amazing venue, organization, ambiance etc.

The online thing was really interesting, but would be nice brackets and schedule on one of the larger screens

Nametags with color for each group is a good idea.

A special thanks to Kingralph, Uncle Seth, Uncle Buck, Wittgenstein, TomKabs and Jer_33 it was really nice play against you guys. Really fun and stressful.

I will set up my mac and start play online soon!

If we have another tournament next year 3 other brazilians will fly over for the tournament!

Hey Guys! First of all, thanks everybody for the amazing saturday. Me (Roberto) and my cousin (Caio) -AKA The Brazilian guys- are still talking about the tournament. I still not believe that I finish at the top 10!

My comments:

The online thing was really interesting, but would be nice brackets and schedule on one of the larger screens

A special thanks to Kingralph, Uncle Seth, Uncle Buck, Wittgenstein, TomKabs and Jer_33 it was really nice play against you guys. Really fun and stressful.

If we have another tournament next year 3 other brazilians will fly over for the tournament!

Heeey, you made it here! Awesome to meet and hang out with you. You played great, you should be very proud of that. Huge surprise to everyone that someone not from the 94 site was able to do as well as you did. Yes, bring everyone next time!

My comments:

Uh oh, a couple of online games and he's going to be hooked... :)

Welcome aboard, and feel free to ask questions.

Looking forward to playing some games online.

Cheers.

My comments:

welcome to the site Roberto! Glad to have new good blood joining as a result of the tourney.

I have too many positives about the event to list, so I will just post some small suggestions for improvement.

1) assign booth numbers for each match to speed things up.

2) if we have a rule that prohibits picking the same matchup twice, it needs to be tracked/policed. This rule was broken with no consequences, which creates an unlevel playing field.

3) Some type of PA system would be great. There could be announcements about logistics, key matchups/results, food, searching for players/no-shows, etc.

4) Have the trophy ceremony (3rd, 2nd, 1st) all at once like they do in the Olympics (lol). This would give guys a couple minutes to process the loss and accept their fate. It was a bit difficult to accept and fully appreciate a trophy mere seconds after getting bumped from the tournament.

5) The coin toss (team selection) procedure. I am in the camp that believes it is more advantageous for the player selecting his team and getting home ice. Since the opinions are this are split, I think it would be most fair if the coin-toss winner can either:

A ) be Visitor team, select the matchup, and then his opponent selects which team he wants (same as the tournament worked) OR

B ) be Home team, and select which team he wants after his opponent selects the matchup.

Aside from those minor things, the tournament was top-notch, amazing, perfect, unbelievable.

Edited by Bob Kudelski

I am fine w/ whatever rules are used to determine teams. Coin toss shouldn't have a real value, but just be a determiner in how it gets separated. I liked Ice's idea of coin toss winner picks which option he wants. That does at least put value in WINNING the coin toss.

I would prefer in such a deep tournament style to have all the groups playing at once, and the loser brackets not go into the same group.

I beat Brad Y & Mike S two times each, but they were beating other forum guys, so having the loser group move around gives more variety to who you have and have not played. THAT SAID, time is a factor, and perhaps it was felt this was better for organization. I did enjoy the 4 hours off to go relax at my hotel.

AND, I would never want to play without being able to edit your lines. My last loss I had like 12 penalties w/ Boston, and really just played with all the wrong dudes. Smoz was on a roll, and even beat Ice after me, so I'm not stating any sour grapes, just I'd like to lose w/ "my guys" on the ice. It was 4-2 most of the way, and I subbed in Nealy at 2nd period to try to get some scoring, but would never want the fat f&cker at center for a permanent penalty kill.

All the props for the spreadsheet caught me by surprise, it took long to make but wasn't super complicated (although the logic for the finals was tricky), but thanks everyone :D

modesty. I love it bud. But let's not kid ourselves, I don't think anyone on this site pulls that off in the time frame you pulled it off in. So thanks again. You made my day much easier.

The coin toss winner didn't seem to get much of an advantage.

Option for next time, the winner gets to pick the 2 teams and and get home ice.

Separate check-in and score reporting tables.

Different colored name tags based on group A,B,C etc

Other than that, flawless.

This is one thing I went back and forth on right up to the last day before sending out the schedule.

I really want to avoid giving choices, because it's not really the point of the coin toss. The coin toss is simply to determine the scenario of the game. I know we use the term"winning" the coin toss, but you're not meant to "win" anything. its just to determine who does what. Maybe I need to change the terminology.

however we have

player A picks teams and is away, player B is home and picks his choice (current rule)

or

player A picks teams and is home, player B is away and picks his choice.

I'll admit I see both sides of the argument and it was a hard one to decide.

Would have been nice to have the brackets and schedule on one of the larger screens.

Some thought on how to better find your opponents, lots of guys wandering aimlessly looking for their game.

Would have been cool to use the big screen in the VIP section for "feature matches" or the finals.

Minor things IMO, well-planned on all other fronts.

Just a thought that I'll throw out there, instead of picking both teams, make the first one random and allow the coin-toss winner to choose the 2nd team.

Cheers.

- Yes. agree if we can have large screens for next year it would help things

-same thing for featured matches on big screens. would like to see that as well

-how would a random team team be selected?