NHL'94 Forums

custom cartridges are a thing again

tru

I'm not entirely sure how this is going to play out, but we can start planning and discussing it because it IS a reality. we've had a few too many seasons without a member making cartridges for other members, so I'm going to do it. you don't have to like me and you don't have to want any, but trust that I am making this happen. I may be a punchline of your Internet life, but I am still bringing the truth, many years later. I'm not scamming or scheming, I'm getting it done. it'll be Genesis and SNES hack cartridges with extremely high quality labels. costs are yet to be determined, but we aren't talking prohibitive rates like $70 for one, nor should there need to be limits to orders, so if you are rich and can afford dozens, it's cool. international shipping factors are an unknown. let's discuss this and explore concerns like if any hacks require different eproms for size issues or anything. let's hash it out and put a plan in place for before the (North American) Winter. "stuff your stockings, bitch."

really? nobody want to type about the possibility of getting a 2-on-2 ROM put onto a cartridge for cost? nobody is interested in having their own creation stuffed into the slot atop a console? nobody want to give a series of games to a friend as a gift? okay... more for me.

okay. I'm surely making a bunch for myself. probably one from every year of my series over the last five years, maybe two, giving visitors the option for those big old icons. I don't have a Genesis anymore, so I won't likely do those if nobody cares. it's a surprise to me if nobody cares, but I don't y'all to. I'm going to give another try with the 2-on-2 thing, so I'll probably learn to make a good one of those, probably with a currently up-to-date roster when I put the work in. what else should I make for myself? I like some of the other ROMs, too. maybe that good one that "fixed" the 1993-1994 rosters....

okay. I'm surely making a bunch for myself. probably one from every year of my series over the last five years, maybe two, giving visitors the option for those big old icons. I don't have a Genesis anymore, so I won't likely do those if nobody cares. it's a surprise to me if nobody cares, but I don't y'all to. I'm going to give another try with the 2-on-2 thing, so I'll probably learn to make a good one of those, probably with a currently up-to-date roster when I put the work in. what else should I make for myself? I like some of the other ROMs, too. maybe that good one that "fixed" the 1993-1994 rosters....

Here's a link to the SNES one: http://www.stoneagegamer.com/super-everdrive.html

I love mine,it's great. No reason to get a custom ROM cartridge made when I can have a ton of ROMs on one cartridge.

does it load up a menu first? is there anything "weird" about it? those are cool. I want separate cartridges for my series, but I could see this being the best of function over form. how many is a ton?

does it load up a menu first? is there anything "weird" about it? those are cool. I want separate cartridges for my series, but I could see this being the best of function over form. how many is a ton?

Depends on SD card size. With 16 GB card practically every single ROM available.

word. then I guess I'd more or less be making cartridges for people who make their own ROMs and want physical copies to have, hold and give as gifts. I'll keep y'all posted on how this develops.

I don't know, for sure, yet. shipped to your house on an American continent, I'm GUESSING around $45 for the two you'd like. if you want in, I'd be willing to get them all ready, tested, labeled and shipped and then tell you something like "please send me 41.08 in US dollars." I'll put this in motion soon and get to testing and trials. keep in mind that I don't know the full costs involved, as I have not begun. if it ends up that Genesis games are cake and require $12 in parts and supplies, it could be less. and if SNES carts need special solder made of unobtainium, I'd let you know it's becoming cost prohibitive before guilting you into putting out more than an Everdrive would run you.

Edited by tru

Sounds great. I would only want one unless you can send another with an optional SD card slot...I want one of those for Christmas Eve with my cousins because we all used to play Sega on Christmas Eve and I'm going to take my Genesis to their house this year. It would probably be cheaper and easier to just download ROMs whenever I need to than to track down and buy all of the old cartridge games we used to play.

no, it wouldn't be adaptable with card slots, it'd be hardcoded with whichever ROM you send me pasted with whichever label you design/chose. I had one made several years ago and I come to better understand how it was done, so I want to help other get theirs. my best guess right now is that they'd come out to something like $25 each. I would not be surprised if I get going and find out that they are cheaper and I can quote $18.14 each or something. but, that typed... I don't know any unknown unknown(s), if you know what I'm not sure I mean. it could end up being that you ARE better off saving up for an $83 thing that is essentially ever adaptable. these will be what they are, unalterable unless there's like some failure where it stops working and needs to opened back up and tinkered with. thorough testing will take place to avoid the problem I had with the one I bought. the dude made it right and it was properly cheap. it probably ended up costing the guy more due to the fact that he had to take it back and try again. if I run into any similar troubles, I'll be upfront about it. I don't expect to have such an issue, though. I'm pretty sure I get it.

That is cheap enough for me. Thanks Raph.

I'll go with that option and put some games for my daughter to use or something.

$80 to $40 w/ the option of adding GDL's and the like for custom LIVE tourney's is a better way.

I love the idea of jamming everyone into a room on a morning, doing a FAST live draft, and then playing a Round Robin some time.

$40 to $130, now, I take the $40. Sorry tru, but Brute's gotta pass on the offer.

no worries, maen. I don't actually care if others want them, because I generally do what I do for myself and share from there because the further effort is relatively negligible. that's the thing with the ROMs I make and that'll be the thing for custom cartridges, too. I'll make Genesis 2-on-2s a priority and then let y'all know the cost, as that will obviously be the biggest factor for most people.

• 1 month later...

so, the chips didn't arrive and are being sent again. stuff from China seems to be about 50/50 for actually arriving, so the math should hold for this attempt to succeed. I really would like to have these things ready before the end of the calendar year, but I'm not sure which parts of the process are going to present further difficulties. so, to stay ahead where I can, I'd like some opinions on ROMs. I don't have the skills in Genesis to do much editing/hacking on my own, although none of it seemed nearly as hard as SNES hacking when I last worked in both, like four years ago. therefore, I am seeking and requesting help. you don't have to want one yourself, necessarily, but if you can offer an opinion -- and, at least as importantly, a link -- please do. if the magical messageboard giftfaery hopped a puddlejumper to your religi-Solstice celebratory deposit zone and defecated a prize onto/into the receptacle, would you want it to be a modification of Skip's current thing or some existing classic or what? I'll need at least a test ROM for the first Genesis cartridge. what should it be? is there anything I'll need to know about loading/checksums/etc.? let's keep this conversation going. I thank you for any responses.

• 1 month later...

SNES chips seem like they are working, but when they go back in the cases they stop working. should be easy enough to get that ironed out.

Genesis has been a challenge, but I think it can work out if I can get a bit of help. I would like somebody to take pictures of the insides of a Genesis hack cartridge. I will make a separate thread with the request, but I wanted to tell y'all that the goal of having them ready for your chosen December holiday seems like it'll be missed by a bit, for Genesis, at least.

so:

-anybody got a particular SNES ROM they want tested?

-please take a set of pictures of the chip in your Genesis hack cartridge, front and back.

thank you!

questions?

well, Genesis cartridges are stalled for progress*, but SNES ones seem to be good to go. does anybody want any particular SNES cartridge? hit me with a response here or in a private message. be sure to provide (at least a link to) the ROM you'd like used. my current cost estimate is $26.18 shipped to the USA, US$29ish to Canadia and about $30 to most other countries without delivery guarantees, but that stuff is not set until I tinker with a few options and do a full accounting of the costs incurred. go.

*see previous post.