NHL'94 Forums

Any Game Day Replacements?

aqualizard

So there were quite a few no shows. I am wondering, were there any game day replacements for these no shows?

When I heard Halifiax's radio spot, and he mentioned there would be spots at the tourney available due to no shows, I hoped some of the spots would get filled? Did this happen at all?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve this situation? (Obviously, there will always be no shows, but maybe there is a way to fill the spots on game day?)

We had a guy in the GENS top 16 that disappeared - he def should have been replaced with the next best finish.

At worst, in a NO-SHOW - you should have to play a game against an All-Star team and report the score. ;)

Edited by jer_33

Group A is where the Game Day Replacements went because obviously, dudes are standing around waiting to play and the later games, that guy still might show.

So, you'd sub them in the morning slots.

My first game said Mike on the schedule, but I played Brad Y., a local Toronto guy. I ended up playing him again later in the loser's bracket.

Solid dude. Hope he signs up to the forum. I'd like to get some more games w/ him over time.

My first game in group c was against a guy who came in place of his buddy who had to work.

Great guy.

He turned out finishing tied for 7/8 with me.

Coach off topic, do you have any plays designed for your high school football team to hit the ref?

Crazy all these HS players taking shots at adult referees.

:exciting: This post got me laughing.

And it'll give me a chance to get on my soapbox. :cry:

We work really hard here to instill sportsmenship in our players.

It is goal #1 and becomes increasingly more challenging in the 25 years I have been coaching.

The general lack of respect not just for officials but for everyone in sports and in life boggles my mind.

The pros set a poor example and it trickles down.

The death of High School Athletics will be because of lack of officials.

Why these guys do it is beyond me and I require our players to never argue and thank them afterwards.

Think about working all week at your job, getting off on Friday, maybe driving an hour to get dressed up in a Zebra suit and get screamed at (or worse) by teenagers, coaches, fans and parents. All for $50-100.

The other thing will be lack of coaches lots of younger guys just teach because it is not worth the hassle of dealing with parents and disrespectful students. In 25 years I have had very few conferences over grades or behavior in school compared to playing time or winning on the field.

I've coached HS Football for 25 years, Alpine skiing for 10, Hockey 6, Wrestling 2, Track 17, and this year is my first coaching cross country running and have had a very successful career that I judge as much by how my players behave as to how many games they have won.

In the end no one will remember or care that much who won KO94.

We will remember the people.

What a great bud KGman and AJ and Raph all are.

It is why I did not want the hype man bumping KG even though I was for AJ.

Who was a Wu-Tang and who was not.

I hesitate to write this last sentence but I will anyway.

I hope someday Premuim can figure all this out.

If anyone cares you can follow us here:

.http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/carson-senators-%28carson-city,nv%29/football/schedule.htm

I have a limited role this year of being on the defensive headphones at the games as I am in my first year coaching my oldest daughter in cross country running.

I spent 6 years as a Head Coach, 8 as a Varsity DC, and the last 10 I have been the Head Frosh Coach.

We have a great opportunity to win it all this year after 3 straight years losing in the finals or semi-finals so I can feel ya Raph and Annatar.

If we do we will have to beat the #1 team in the country Bishop Gorman out of Vegas.

It is weird to be coaching girls cross country this fall, but awesome to be running with my daughter, who is doing quite well.

Edited by CoachMac

Hearing this football talk is making me want to grab the pigskin and go give it a toss. One of my kid's favorite memories growing up was on Sundays, all the neighborhood kids would gather in the cul de sac of the apartments we lived in, and I'd go on one side of the building, and the 5-10 kids would go on the other side, and I'd rainbow the ball over the building and "drop the bomb" on the them as they tried to get under it and make that catch.

I think coaching your kid in a sport like cross country would be one of those sports that would be a delight because it's a team sport while also being a solo sport, and the biggest part of it is the encouragement required from the coach that the athlete can not only complete the workouts, but then perform in the race to his/her expected goals.

I'm not sure all sports work great for father & son/daughter type combos, but cross country would definitely be a good one, imo. Kudos on that coach.

Look forward to our time skiing together.

So there were quite a few no shows. I am wondering, were there any game day replacements for these no shows?

When I heard Halifiax's radio spot, and he mentioned there would be spots at the tourney available due to no shows, I hoped some of the spots would get filled? Did this happen at all?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve this situation? (Obviously, there will always be no shows, but maybe there is a way to fill the spots on game day?)

There were a couple, I just can't remember names. They sent guys to play in their place since the couldn't make it.

We had a guy in the GENS top 16 that disappeared - he def should have been replaced with the next best finish.

At worst, in a NO-SHOW - you should have to play a game against an All-Star team and report the score. ;)

I was quite disappointed that he wasn't around either. The next best finish would've been the 5th place finisher from each group, so 4 players total. Had I had more time to think about it (and assuming all 4 players were still there), we could've done a quick play in bracket. But all in hindsight unfortunately. We'll put in a provision for next year to remedy this situation.

There were a couple, I just can't remember names. They sent guys to play in their place since the couldn't make it.

I see. But were there any replacements that came because of your radio spot? (Who had no relationship to the person they were replacing?)

And how many replacements for Genesis and SNES would you estimate? (I am just tryig to wrap my head around how big of an issue it was, and how (or if) we can improve how we handle it.)

I see. But were there any replacements that came because of your radio spot? (Who had no relationship to the person they were replacing?)

And how many replacements for Genesis and SNES would you estimate? (I am just tryig to wrap my head around how big of an issue it was, and how (or if) we can improve how we handle it.)

I don't think there were any. One thing I'll look at for next year is opening up game day no shows to people that are already there to play on both consoles should they choose(ie play sega in the morning, snes afternoon). you have any suggestions?