NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2016 Reviews

hokkeefan

Whattttttt

I bought 16 last Tuesday and stopped playing on like Thursday. I have loved every nhl game dearly, except 15, and now 16. This game is freaking awful honestly. Forever nhl 14, gonna have to play it for yet another year. It's okay, it's the 2nd best nhl game other than of course 94.

Whattttttt

I bought 16 last Tuesday and stopped playing on like Thursday. I have loved every nhl game dearly, except 15, and now 16. This game is freaking awful honestly. Forever nhl 14, gonna have to play it for yet another year. It's okay, it's the 2nd best nhl game other than of course 94.

14 sucked assss

it's been twenty years of "this season's release is good/bad and last season's was bad/good." they have not been right about any of that since somewhere around the year 1994.

I think when you have a dpad and two analog sticks, four buttons, and four triggers you feel like you need to put those to use. Then when you start adding combinations of buttons it adds another layer of complexity. I feel the beauty of 94 is its simplicity and all the ways people have found to put those few simple capabilities to use. I'd love to have the graphics and sound of the current game but just with a tweaked 94 engine. The only possibility would be a homebrew type option that someone posted about earlier. A corp like EA is not going to ever approve of that road map.

I think the biggest issue between the "modern" games and the old games is the modern ones are trying to emulate real life hockey while being "fun" to play.

So, the games take a lot longer and with MORE space to operator, flaws get exposed a lot more.

For example, in GENS, guys can dance around w/ the puck, but it's eventually short lived because in order to score, you have to go into traffic and the defender is going to get his chance to knock you down/knock the puck lose, etc. Where as in a large, open arena (like in the new ones), I can dance around a LOT longer and wait till I find a crease in the modern versions to get off a mid range wrister that seems to be the "bane" of true hockey simulation style players, but one of the true ways to score consistently. This open ice dancing around can go on for more than a minute and is very boring for both sides.

In other words, you've removed the in tight, quick decision action and and still failed at full realism and lengthened the experience. Aside from the MASSIVE upgraded graphics, it doesn't hold the luster over time that a '94 does.

The other flaw in both '15 & '16 is the only way to stop guys from skating around and finding holes/seams to get off your killer wrist shots, is to pound the poke check button with any and all defenders. This makes online play, where the truest goal is only to win, not how, a game that looks like hockey, but plays nothing like it, and takes too long to get the end results.

THE LAST, BIGGEST FLAW to me is in the inability to form custom leagues so you can join together with like minded players and keep the experience EVEN. If I like to play w/ guys who aren't spaz poke checkers, or guys who do like that, etc, the online leagues just aren't there.

HOWEVER, the newest version does have 6 on 6 hockey, or 12 players playing together on teams, and this is very similar to 2v2, where if there isn't lag, it's a BLAST.