NHL'94 Forums

Put an end to the slacking going on in leagues !

hokkeefan

I checked out of the future for Blitz, but NOT for running this season. Minus Scribe, everyone in A finished their games and Scribe had played TOO many games to replace him, imo. So, A didn't need any replacements, and I didn't feel B had good "B" substitutes to warrant replacements (sebe is an A player all day).

The wait list was a strong A player and Seano, who pops on and off the site. The lowest games played were by guys stating they will get their games in. So, between Seano & those guys, I rolled dice w/ Labs & Co getting their games in they stated they would.

IF there was going to be a Blitz 12, then I might have delayed B's season to enable some replacement coaches to try to fill in, and still went ahead with Blitz A's playoffs. But with Classic already around the corner, it was better to just let the season end and run a fair playoff system than try to replace 4-5 coaches for a soon to be defunct league.

Classic does boot pretty fast, but you get a lot of new sign ups that just drop out after trying it for a week or two.

I've been in shorter leagues and they can hit the same problem though.

IF you have only 12 coaches, or 20 coaches, it might be easier to find more active coaches, but just as active as you are hokkee, even you have dropped out of leagues randomly for "real life".

On shorter leagues/less coaches, the problem now gets multiplied because it affects the league more negatively when a few go missing.

Less likely to need a replacement coach on a shorter season. yes.

Less fun overall, but with the idea of getting more seasons in, as long as the playoffs don't run forever, then I like shorter seasons myself. But, when you get these long, take forever playoffs, then you almost need a longer season to justify waiting 2 months to finish a playoff!

League nights. Put up a poll of weeknights and have all league participants vote, winner is declared "League Night".

With a dedicated night, guys will know going forward not to schedule other activities in that timeslot - and everyone gets a night when they can hammer out multiple games.

I mean, wouldn't it be a beauty to have most of your league online AT THE SAME TIME?

Coach also tried setting weekly matches, so a set schedule of games.. it worked alright.

Most leagues have a place to post availability and to schedule games. More guys need to use this. Sending out emails also works well. Maybe we could add cell phones for texting. Solely relying on aim for meeting up does not work so well.

Edited by jackandjose

Plabs said we won't get DNP points if the people we haven't played are slackers. Not sure if he's going to follow through on that or not. We're coming up on the 32 game checkpoint and almost a month since the GDL started. Still have 2 guys with 10 games played each, one with 6 GP, and another with 0 GP.

And we have solid players, who showed up to the KO94 Tourney, who will take their spots.