NHL'94 Forums

A mish mash of my Kof94 Experience

angryjay93

I'm thinking to save my massive wall of text for more of a look at my entire year of playing NHL '94 abroad. In this space I'm going to try and focus on my king of 94 journey through the bracket, shout outs, and observations. Should still be plenty of text for those looking for it.

AJ's tournament path

I started out in group D which was widely considered the group of death for the Gens bracket because it included myself, King, Sebe, Evan, and Uncle Buck. A couple of dark horses in Mikey, Maitrefun, and Inamorata were also present and looking to really shake up the bracket. It was obvious that at least one legitimate threat was going to be on the sidelines before the final group so I knew that a good start was going to be imperative to me avoiding an upset.

Game 1: AJ (Tor) vs. Chris S. (PHI)

Waiting around all morning for an afternoon game was not easy on my nerves although I didn't seem to show it. I had a few guys come up to me during the morning and tell me I didn't look like I had a worry in the world. Truth is, I spent hours considering my first matchup against an unknown opponent. I didn't want to face an unstoppable machine such as Roenick or Bure and get lamed out after falling behind early as I tend to do against unknown opponents. I also didn't want to fall behind in an expansion match up and have to press for goals with a lineup not suited to score them. I finally settled on Phi-Tor and ended up picking that matchup after winning the toss. I wanted to make a point and jump on the guy but he managed to weather the storm for the first few minutes and hold me back on the score sheet. I had to remind myself to be patient and take the early possession dominance as a sign of future success, which there was plenty to be had. It became quickly apparent that my opponent didn't have much experience and I started swarming him with slappers, floaters, and rudimentary one-timers. I ended up subduing him via the mercy rule early in the 3rd and shook hands with him after that.

Chris was a great sport the entire time and seemed to be enjoying himself regardless of the action on ice. He was a good bud and I felt a little sheepish doing him like that after realizing he'd only played the game a few times. I was rooting for him the rest of the way to sneak out a win which unfortunately wasn't able to do. But he did hang around for the entire day and I'm hoping we hooked him since he seemed to enjoy his time.

Result: AJ 10 - Chris S. 0

Game 2: AJ (Dal) vs. Paul O. (CGY)

After scratching out a come from behind overtime victory over Mikey I faced off against Paul O. who seemed to be a local bud as he was wearing a home town Blue Jays jersey. Another good spirited competitor he managed to make me battle in a very tight game for the first two periods as I was only up 4-3 heading into the 3rd. He no longer had the services of Fleury as I had injured him very late in the 2nd and this was his death knell. He no longer had an offense to counter me and I was able to dominate the 3rd. If he had been able to hang on to Fleury who knows what may have happened, he had some respectable offensive skills and could have pulled off an upset.

Result: AJ 9 - Paul O. 3

Game 3: AJ (NYI) vs. Sebe (WSH)

My first legitimate test of the day was the humble yet competitive Sebe. I respected him going into the match but I felt confident I could get a win especially considering I enjoy using the Islanders. This was a fantastic see-saw battle as Sebe never allowed me to pull away when I got the lead. He battled me hard and found the chemistry with Washington to keep my defense guessing. I fell behind late but ended up forcing OT in the dying seconds of the game. Sebe was resilient and pulled it out in OT. I thought I had played a pretty good game so in that regard I was happy with myself but I was unhappy with the fact that I had now made things tougher for myself to qualify.

Result: Sebe 8 - AJ 7 (OT)

Game 4: AJ (HFD) vs. Uncle Buck (NJ)

Not much of a gimmie match up here as I was forced to play another quality player after a tough loss. Buck won the toss and picked HFD-NJ hoping I would go with NJ after he saw me pick them in an exhi with his brother the night before in the hotel. I had seen an earlier game in the tourney where Buck smacked a guy around with HFD and I wasn't about to let him have them, plus I much prefer HFD anyway. The game couldn't have gone better for me and it was good to see I didn't allow my previous tough loss to affect my play. The mercy rule came into effect very late in the 3rd but I knew not to get too high about this victory as I had a haunting feeling I'd have to play Buck later on and I knew that would be a different beast.

Result: AJ 10 - Buck 0

Game 5: AJ (Bos) vs. Evan (Wpg)

This was the first real pressure game of the tournament for me. Win and your in, lose and face elimination in your next game. Evan's a great dude and I'm gonna get to that later in my shoutout section but at that moment I wanted nothing more to win our game. I put out my checking line formation with Boston and I had a specific game plan in place. Jump out to an early lead and then cut him down and trap him in neutral zone to limit his chances. The plan worked, I was in sync and not much if anything at all went wrong in this game. This was where Evan coined the moniker of "The Machine" for me since I showed no emotion to anything on the ice and was relentless in my play. He said I could have been up by 8 or down by 8 and no one could tell by the look on my face. After the game I wished Evan luck in his to qualify for the next round and I was truly rooting for him because how could you not? Unfortunately he would fall to Buck in the 4th place game and his run was over.

Result: AJ 6- Evan 1

Game 6: AJ (SJ) vs. Sebe (TB)

Despite this being a rematch from earlier, I wanted to give myself a chance to breath a bit and have some fun with a lighthearted expansion team match up. I still wanted to win the game obviously but I found it more important to get myself a little breather after having to play a couple of games to keep me away from the elimination bracket. I felt I played another solid game against Sebe but his manual goalie was on point and his offense was more timely than mine. I was still a little frustrated with losing but I knew I still had room to step my game up and I tried to look at it as a positive that I've already had to deal with losing to a tough opponent.

Result: Sebe 4 - AJ 2

The Intermission:

I didn't get much of an intermission as the final bracket took place immediately after my group stage. At this point I was starting to suffer a bit from lack of food, hydration, and exhaustion. I loaded up on some fruits and water down at the grocery store near by to help fuel me for the final stage.

I also took this time to pump myself up a little bit. I felt there were times I showed my opponent a little too much respect and that I needed to be more assertive in my play. The other guys in the tournament are dangerous but so am I and I needed to put them on their heels more often. Essentially my mantra was this "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. I'm going to punch them in the mouth."

Game 7: AJ (Que) vs. Uncle Seth (LA)

As the #3 seed from my group I was set to face #2 seeded Seth, a tough draw but I figured he thought I might be one of the last guys he'd see in the #3 slot. I wanted to make him panic early if I could and ride that to victory. I won the toss and picked two teams I liked but I figured he would pick LA so I made sure to throw in a team with Low Away Ice Disadvantage, hence Quebec. I jumped on Seth hard to start and quickly built a 4-1 lead in the 1st. Seth used the intermission to adjust his lineup and started finding some success battling his way back to a 4-4 tie at the end of the 2nd. I drew a penalty midway through the 3rd and quickly capitalized to go up 5-4 and I made life difficult for the LA offence until the waning seconds of the game. Gretzky managed to turn my defender inside out and had a good chance to deke Hextall, which he did but a collection of my defenders skate and Hextall's baby toe managed to keep the puck out with 1 second left and I clung on to my 5-4 victory. A tough game, I was happy with my performance but also hated my 2nd period. I was too soft with the lead and it nearly cost me.

Result: AJ 5 - Seth 4

Game 8: AJ (Dal) vs. Zeppelin (Wpg)

I must admit, I liked my chances in this game. I love Dallas, despise Winnipeg, and felt I was the more skilled player. Talk about being in for a rude awakening. Zeppelin showed some obvious growth in his game since the last time I was up against him a few months ago. I don't remember many of the details but I think the game was tied 5-5 with less then 2 minutes in the 3rd and Modano had a glorious float chance which he turned into devastating miss because Zep took the puck and made me pay dearly for that miss with a goal of his own. I had lost another close game I could have taken and made my path to the finals that much more daunting.

Result: Zeppelin 6 - AJ 5

Game 9: AJ (Mtl) vs Uncle Buck (Det)

Well what do you know, my earlier feelings were correct as I ended up running into Buck again. Looking back, I have no idea why i picked the game I did because I feel Detroit has only one tough match up and it's against Montreal. Looking back, I should be thankful Buck took Detroit as I got the much tougher game from him that I was expecting. I think I carried most of the game and Cheveldae made some pretty sweet saves to keep things close and interesting. Buck managed a push at the end but Roy stood tall and helped me move on past a determined opponent.

Result: AJ 3 - Buck 1

Game 10: AJ (Edm) vs. EA (Phi)

And now we enter the part of the program where I begin to have very specific team selection and game plans based on who I'm using. Me and EA go way back, so far back we used to fight for scoring titles in GDL 1-3. Due to this history I knew EA could score at a high level so I wasn't about to pick a high octane match nor was I gonna try to lame him out with expansion teams. I went with Edm-Phi because I know EA loves him some Recchi and Eklund but I felt I could limit them with Edm's staunch defense. If Ea surprised by picking Edm I was ready to cut down Klima the entire time.

Once he picked Phi my strategy was clear, forecheck him into mistakes and pressure him all game long with my offense. His offense wont be imposing if I can keep him out of my zone. My game plan was very successful and I pinned EA in his zone nearly the entire time. Tommy Soderstrom was playing his "A" game which he can get from time to time on home ice. This kept things very tense and low scoring but my tactics were sound and I was able to move on. EA was a class act and a formidable opponent, I always enjoy my matches with him and I look forward to more in the future.

Result: AJ 3 - EA 1

Game 11: AJ (Fla) vs TomKabs (Anh)

Obviously I was able to pick the game here as I had already had planned long ahead of time that I would attempt to drag TomKabs through my torture 101 class. I wasn't concerned with what team I'd get because my strategy was the same regardless. I wanted to drag the speed of this game to the minimal amount and make TomKabs as uncomfortable as possible. It seemed to have worked as Tomkabs played into my strategy as he tried to push the pace of the game as best he could. All I wanted to do was stretch his formation out and then counter when possible. It did take a while but I was able to get out to a 2-0 lead before TomKabs found an answer late in the 2nd period to make it 2-1 heading into the third. I stuck to my guns and never allowed a quality chance in the 3rd as I was able to successfully stymie TK into submission. A tough game indeed as TK fared better than I had expected but I felt I was really finding my groove at this point as any team I picked was playing well.

Result: AJ 2 - TK 1

Game 12: AJ (Pit) vs. Zeppelin (Bos)

The rematch I was salivating for and had now received. I wanted to make Zeppelin play my brand of hockey this time and I felt compelled to use my classic league darling Penguins to make a point. I was ok with giving Zep Boston because I felt Pittsburgh could keep up with them and Zeppelin's defensive game is a bit more passive so I wasn't worried about Sweeney and Bourque beating up my front line. I drew first blood but Zep proved he wasn't to be trifled with and went a couple of goals up after the 1st. I wasn't happy with what I was seeing from Jagr so I went to the little used Martin Straka to give my line a bit of a different look. It sort of worked but I was still down 6-4 with just a couple minutes to go in the 3rd. I'm not exactly sure what happened but I think Zep laid off the accelerator ever so slightly and allowed me to fight my way back into it with a pair of late goals to force OT where it didn't take long for me to get a breakaway and seal the deal. After this win I was emotionally exhausted and starting to feel the toll physically of a long day behind the controller. There was still more work to do and I had to overcome.

Result: AJ 7 - Zeppelin 6 (OT)

Game 13: AJ (Edm) vs. Kingraph (Que)

I felt this game was mine for the taking because I was hot coming off 4 straight wins where I played some great hockey and King was possibly reeling after an 8-1 loss to KGman in the previous round. I got to pick a game I was comfortable with and felt like I had the best player on the ice. It's games like these where two guys play a really even game but a little thing here or there can determine the game. I was on the wrong end of the little things and King made me pay for it. I didn't adjust to addition of Kamensky to the lineup fast enough and paid with a rough 2nd period which left me a couple goals behind. I had some grade A chances in the 3rd including an empty net scrum which ended with me somehow coming up empty handed. My inability to cash in when needed allowed King to really put the screws to me in the end and increase his lead to an insurmountable amount. I got the game I expected from King, a cerebral match up where tactics were thrown back and forth at each other. I played a good game but King was just as good and possibly slightly better.

Result: Kingraph 6 - AJ 3

Game 14: AJ (Chi) vs. TomKabs (Buf)

To say that TK wanted to give me some pay back would be a bit of an understatement. The guy was out for blood and his team selection showed it. I decided to give Roenick a shot as I felt he would be tougher to deal with than Mogilny considering the supporting cast for each team. I've watched a lot of TK's tape with high skilled players at his disposal and it can get a bit graphic what he does to his opponent. I wasn't going to allow myself to be a victim and I've actually been developing very specific tech to deal with TK and I have to say it worked wonders in this game. I jumped out to a fast lead and never allowed TK to get all that close. I kept him guessing as to what to do on defense and didn't let Mogilny get much open ice to work with. This was the exact kind of game I needed to get me back on track and feel confident going into the top 3.

Result :AJ 5 - TK 2

Game 15: AJ (Van) vs. Kgman (Det)

Taking place under the bright lights of the documentary crew cameras this battle of the titans determined who would meet Kingraph in the grand finals. I won the toss and felt compelled to pick a highly skilled match because I thought KG would be a little uncomfortable having to deal with me having so much speed and talent at my disposal. This may have been my mistake as in looking back perhaps I should have made him uncomfortable with his own team by picking a STL-PIT game. In the end, I dont have regrets with what I picked as I played back and forth hockey with KG. I think we put a hell of a show on where we matched wits the entire time. The guy who I feel decided the game was Tim Cheveldae as KG had him working magnificently in user control during the beginning of the game where he was able to make some saves that I never knew he was capable of making. Then CPU Chevldae turned up the heat later in the game as he thwarted my offense with more amazing saves. KG was on top of his game and that combo was too tough for me to beat as he squeezed a couple more goals out of his team than I could manage.

Result: KG 3 - AJ 1

Wrap up: After the final whistle against KG I was really disappointed with finishing 3rd. I honestly thought I could win the whole thing and in a lot of regards, I really did play well enough to do so. It took me a couple seconds to realize it before shaking KG's hand but in a tournament like this with how many top level players were there I also felt really fortunate to win 3rd. I beat a lot of great players in some very tense games where a lot of things did go right for me. My teams took few penalties, I usually had good AI, and I did get my share of puck luck. To win a tournament like this, you have to have nearly everything go right for you and be on top of your game. I had a lot of both, King and KG had a tiny bit more of each and there is no shame losing to two guys like that who play great 94 and are fantastic people as well.

Observations

-Everybody there (except for Wu-Tang guy) was a class act and a pleasure to be around. I think we got our live scene out on the right foot with this one.

-Things got off to a bit of a rough start in terms of finding guys to play but we eventually ironed that out and got things going pretty smoothly.

-I still can't believe a non-forum guy won SNES but perhaps I'm wrong in that belief. The SNES is more about the mind games involved and less skill because I think there is less differentiation in that part of the game.

-I'm really salty that a non-forum SNES guy won King of 94. Mikhail is a fantastic and deserving champion with an incredibly compelling story. I just would have love to have had a shot at him in the system battle.

-After 15 games I was personally beat emotionally and physically and I think a lot of the guys were in the same boat, especially those who had an afternoon group. I would have loved to have had a little time to eat a real meal and recuperate for the final group.

-I loved being able to watch games when I had a chance, I just wish we could have done a little bit more recording because some absolute gems were played.

-It was very humbling to see how many people were consulting my Line Building material online or consulting their own notes that may have been influenced by what has been written in that section of the site by all of us. It brings a lot of joy to me to see that the information is being put to good use and elevating our level of play.

-Defense seemed to be very important throughout the day. This was probably due to the majority of games being played between two evenly matched teams. I know I at least felt goals were at a bigger premium than usual.

-Maybe next year we can rent an activity room at one of the universities near by? Evolution, the major fighting game tournament held its first few editions of the tournament at local colleges in So Cal. I know it might be harder to get tv's to find for the event but it may end up being far cheaper and helps us from getting kicked out at the end of the night. Then again we probably wont be able to consume alcohol which is something to take into consideration.

Shoutouts

Mikey- You're the best thing that could have happened to the community at this time. You have organized us and given us a microphone to speak through to spread the love for this game. What you did to get this tournament put together will not be forgotten and I will definitely not forget the part you've played in me playing NHL 94 this year. Whether it be picking me up at the airport at 1 AM, or driving me 14 hours round trip to play in the Saskatoon Smashfest, to helping me get out to Hartford, and finally putting this Toronto tournament together you've always been there for me and for that I am thankful. I am always ready and willing to help you do whatever is needed for this movie or anything you do in the future.

Halifax- The most interesting bud in the community, you made me feel welcome in Saskatoon from the minute I stepped into the same room as you. Your never ending desire to keep this community organized and focused is something that cant go understated. You did a fantastic job administrating the tournament despite being under the weather. I couldn't even tell you were fighting sickness, you were so focused to make sure everything went as smooth as possible that only your selfless nature could be recognized.

Evan- The godfather of NHL94.com is one of the good natured and charitable people you could meet. I just want to thank you again for giving us all a place to come together and continue to play this timeless game. You're a little quiet like I am in person but it's your actions that speak the loudest and that's a commendable trait to have. I hope we can cross paths again as I enjoyed spending time around you and your wife.

KG- To a worthy adversary and a deserving champ. We got off to a tiny bit of a rough start when you trash talked me the second I sat down at the lunch on Friday. I wondered to myself who the twerp was with the big mouth on the opposite side of the booth. Once I found out it was you I couldn't help but smile at the fact that the KG online is similar to real life KG. I enjoyed hanging out with you on Friday and getting to know who the mysterious KG was. Congratulations on winning, you are a class act bud.

Kingraph- Another amazing bud who was great to be around in person you played some sublime 94 to get yourself in a situation where you had a chance to be the King of 94. Thank you for letting me use your controller throughout the tournament as without it I may not have been able to make the run I did. After losing all these tough games to you in person you have motivated me to go into the lab and figure out some new tech in which to attack you with. Thank you for allowing your and Chaos's suite to be used as party central station.

Coach Mac- My west coast brother you were always there getting my back and being supportive to me and I'm very appreciative of that. You welcomed me to your home a few months ago as if you had known me for years and it's easy to see why your high school football teams seem to perform at a very high level. You command respect, accountability, and integrity. Being the human wall between SNES and GENS during the top 3 matches showed that no matter who you were rooting for, you wanted the best player to win regardless. I look forward to more tourneys in Minden and maybe next time you can exceed your expectations again and qualify for the final group in next years competition.

TK- I took your intense competitive streak in good nature and I look forward to our future matches as I think they can evolve into some real masterpieces.

EA- You represented the old guard extremely well and was an absolute blast to be around. You're rekindled interest in the online community is a fantastic development as it gets one of the big name players back in the thick of things. Welcome back and hang onto Jill if you can, any girl who can watch NHL '94 all day, be engaged, and a delight to talk to is a keeper bud.

Brutus- You didn't turn out to look anything like I thought you might but talk about a dude who just loves to have a good time. I appreciate you inviting me into your room for the git go to play some 94 and your ability to rally the troops in getting our Friday night organized is to be commended. If I'm in Chicago I know I'll be calling up you and EA.

Pittsburgh crew (Vocal, BOK, Witt)- Didn't get much time to talk to any of you separately but you guys should be on youtube with your antics and nonsensical banter. A battle of the systems between me and BOK probably would have went live to Vegas with some intriguing odds.

Zeppelin- The community needs to keep their eyes peeled for you bud as I think you're on the upward swing. You impressed me the most out of anyone at the tourney and I think you are on to big things in the future.

Uncles Buck and Seth- Seth, I hope you've talked your brother into joining online as he's got the goods to compete. It was also my pleasure to play a couple of good exhibitions with you on Friday as I felt it was the least I could do after stiffing you a few years ago when I couldn't get my online play working. I think we have some big games ahead in our future.

Egg- The first lady of NHL '94 is definitely someone to talk to at the next event if you missed it. She's smart, witty, caring, and easy to talk to. She's always got fantastic takes and funny stories to tell about life in New York and when she really gets going you can hear that accent start to roll which only adds to the experience. The pleasure was all mine Mrs. First Lady.

Smozoma- Probably the softest spoken of all the forum members at the tournament but a fierce competitor who finished 6th, a strong showing indeed where he did a lot of damage in the elimination bracket. Pretty smart bud too what with being the originator of the Blitz league database, EARE, the triple elimination bracket spreadsheet, and countless other things I'm probably omitting. The type of info we have been able to gather due to your stat extraction has helped this communities understanding of the game grow tenfold.

Sebe- Respectable dude and classy as hell. A fairly quiet individual who will surprise you with his competitive streak if you let him. Good to have you back in the fold bud.

Icestorm- Didn't get much 1 on 1 time with you despite playing some exhi in Brut's room. You're basically what I figured you'd be a good dude with childhood joy for this game still beating inside of you. I was relieved to not have had to run into you in my bracket as I still have no clue what match I'd go with.

Chaos- A man who doesn't get enough praise as he is a great ambassador for both systems and helps us keep all of our leagues running smoothly on the website. Always organized and always down for a good game.

Addison- It was good to meet the man who was the adversary in my first ever online game. It may have only been a Tuesday to you but I still remember the result from that game you(edm) 7-2 me (dal). You were the first person to help me develop my game and get to the next level. I have you to thank for getting me out on the right foot, vets should aspire to handle noobs the way you did back in 2007.

Shaftman- A real evenflow type of guy with a strong compete level but also a strong sense of community as he did what he could to assist Halifax and Chaos with the flow of the tournament. An all around cool bud that I met over at the SNES hotel party.

Annatar- A very cerebral guy and articulate to boot. He and the other SNES boys made me feel welcome at their get together but he is not a very welcoming opponent as he gives no quarter. Congratulations on second place your hunger to win should only make you a more dangerous foe in the future.

Bob Kudelski- Anybody who loves the nondescript expansion team players is always a good guy in my book. I think we both feel a little raw about finishing third but are still very happy with the way we played to get there. I think its pretty bad ass that your wife and mother came out to watch you play '94, sounds like you got a good support system there bud. I hope for some more playoff battles with you in future SNES leagues and I bet you hope for the same.

Saskatoon Boys (stheads, thejacket, tylerdeanhill)- Thank you for hosting the SNES guys and welcoming me to you room. I haven't had much one on one time with any of you guys but you made me feel welcome in Saskatoon and you made me feel welcome again in Toronto. You guys are tough competitors and great to be around, I hope to make another trip to Saskatoon in the future.

The Video Guy- Another familiar face from Saskatoon as he was the man behind the camera for my 4:30 AM interview. A real good natured bud who never has a smile far away from his face. Even after a tough loss he usually finds something to smile about.

To those who I have forgotten and anyone else who was partook in the even I just want to thank you for coming out and making the experience a memorable one for me. I hope there is a next year where we can get together again.

I love reading these. Congrats AJ on 3rd place. Sounds like it was a real battle to get there due to the high level competitors in your bracket and the finals bracket. I agree finishing 3rd was pretty tough at the time, but I think when we look back at this, we'll both be happy we finished in the money. And like I said, you could have just as easily finished 3rd in SNES!

Fantastic read, I appreciate how much you can remember about the games and events. Love your writing style too. Man you had a bunch of tough matches -- me, KG, EA, Zeppelin x2, TK x2, Seth, Sebe x2...you played great man.

Regarding our game -- "It's games like these where two guys play a really even game but a little thing here or there can determine the game"

Perfectly said, I couldn't agree more. It's been a pleasure to meet you, play and chat '94 live! I look forward to more in the future!

Really great write up bud.

Appreciate the shoutout and I wish we had got to chat more. Also wish I'd known you were in Montreal after!

Super impressed with the amount of miles you've put in and the different places you've thrown down, definitely a real ambassador for the game.

Really great write up bud.

Appreciate the shoutout and I wish we had got to chat more. Also wish I'd known you were in Montreal after!

Super impressed with the amount of miles you've put in and the different places you've thrown down, definitely a real ambassador for the game.

Thank you and I wish I would have said something about me being in Quebec and Montreal post tourney. I do want to go back to Montreal sooner rather than later. I have indeed put in a lot of miles and seen a lot of amazing places this year and Montreal is near the top of the list for me. I really enjoyed Vilnius, Riga, Helsinki, and Quebec but I think Montreal may just have them all beat.

What's your job AJ that affords you all this time and travel? Awesome you're knocking it all out now. Once family begins it becomes very tough.

Currently I'm just an every day tax accountant who had a lot of vacation time saved up and found plenty of cheap flights to go with some cheap yet fantastic (usually) lodging options.

Great stuff. Always fun to read your stuff.. and yes I did have a cheatsheet with your classic lines. Just too many teams that I don't play with regularly.

Cheers,

Jer

-Things got off to a bit of a rough start in terms of finding guys to play but we eventually ironed that out and got things going pretty smoothly.

We'll have this ironed out better for next year. I've received a lot of great feedback and suggestions on how to make this work better.

-After 15 games I was personally beat emotionally and physically and I think a lot of the guys were in the same boat, especially those who had an afternoon group. I would have loved to have had a little time to eat a real meal and recuperate for the final group.

I think that for next year we'll have a mandatory break after the second group. Everyone needed something to eat. Plus I'm sure the pub will appreciate more service from us.

-Maybe next year we can rent an activity room at one of the universities near by? Evolution, the major fighting game tournament held its first few editions of the tournament at local colleges in So Cal. I know it might be harder to get tv's to find for the event but it may end up being far cheaper and helps us from getting kicked out at the end of the night. Then again we probably wont be able to consume alcohol which is something to take into consideration.

Mikey and I talked about the venue. Real sports wants us back for another year, so I think we'll look at getting more space in the venue (and likely bringing in more consoles and more tvs to play on). There's beer, there's booze and I think overall it worked well for a tournament.

Shoutouts

Halifax- The most interesting bud in the community, you made me feel welcome in Saskatoon from the minute I stepped into the same room as you. You're never ending desire to keep this community organized and focused is something that cant go understated. You did a fantastic job administrating the tournament despite being under the weather. I couldn't even tell you were fighting sickness, you were so focused to make sure everything went as smooth as possible that only your selfless nature could be recognized.

Thanks for the compliment bud. We'll be having another Saskatoon Smash 94 tourney in the dead of winter most likely like last time. I believe Mikey will be coming up again as well (I think he wants to do a bit more filming). So hopefully you'll be there for the tourney!

Thanks for the compliment bud. We'll be having another Saskatoon Smash 94 tourney in the dead of winter most likely like last time. I believe Mikey will be coming up again as well (I think he wants to do a bit more filming). So hopefully you'll be there for the tourney!

Can you guys let us all know as soon as possible what date you are looking at for this? I would give serious consideration to a trip to Sask in the dead of winter, as crazy as that sounds!

Can you guys let us all know as soon as possible what date you are looking at for this? I would give serious consideration to a trip to Sask in the dead of winter, as crazy as that sounds!

I'll do what I can bud...how much lead time you need?