NHL'94 Forums

Rating Numbers

aqualizard

Hello,
can someone explain the ratings used here? Things like:

Sandis Ozolinsh: 7 weight, 3/3 skating, 3/2 shot, 3 sth & pass, 3/3 aware, Shoots: R

In the game, the ratings are numbers from 0-100. How does this square with the numbers above?

And how is a 3/2 shot possible? (Is it a fraction?)

Sorry for this newb question, which I am sure has been answered, I just can't find the info I need to understand these ratings.

Thanks,
aqua

Edited by aqualizard

Small correction, if the value calculated using the (rating)x18+bonus formula is under 50, then the game takes the value, divides it by 2, and adds 25. This is why you never see a player with a rating under 25.

base_value = rating x 18 + bonus

if base_value < 50:
    shown_value = 25 + base_value/2
else:
    shown_value = base_value

if shown_value > 99:
    shown_value = 99

Hello,

can someone explain the ratings used here? Things like:

In the game, the ratings are numbers from 0-100. How does this square with the numbers above?

And how is a 3/2 shot possible? (Is it a fraction?)

Sorry for this newb question, which I am sure has been answered, I just can't find the info I need to understand these ratings.

Thanks,

aqua

Hey bud, thank you for coming to this part of the site and asking for some clarification. Raph pointed you in the right direction regarding what the numbers 0-6 mean for attributes.

I'll clarify the presentation for you by starting with that none of the ratings are fractions, I just like to keep certain abilities grouped together when presenting a player. This is how a breakdown is laid out.

Player Name: Weight, agility/speed, shot power/shot accuracy, stick handling, passing, o aware/d aware, Hand

The rest of the ratings don't really come into play, especially in a game with no line changes. Every once in a while I will briefly mention a checking rating if it is relevant (typically players only with a 5 or 6 since their AI mode tends to be very aggressive).

Hopefully this and the above posts explain things clearly enough. If not always feel free to ask more questions and we will be happy to answer.

This page should help explain: http://nhl94strategy.com/?page_id=26

Note that my strategy website is a looong work in progress. I will eventually post more soon and let everyone on the forums know as well.

Geeze man, thanks! You are everywhere.

That page of your was exactly what I was talking about. However, I still do not understand the "shorthand" numbers.

In my quote above I ask:

>> "And how is a 3/2 shot possible? (Is it a fraction?)"

I am guessing this shorthand means the 3 is show power, and the 2 is shot accuracy, so it is not a fraction. Right?

Sandis Ozolinsh: 7 weight, 3/3 skating, 3/2 shot, 3 sth & pass, 3/3 aware, Shoots: R

You are correct.

What you are looking at above is a simplified version of :

7 weight, 3 skating, 3 agility, 3 shot power, 2 shot accuracy, 3 stick-handling, 3 pass, 3 off awareness, 3 def awareness

You'll see a lot of guys talking in stat pairs like that 5/5 speed, or 5/4 shot etc..