NHL'94 Forums

Playing on both consoles for next K094 tournament

halifax

We're looking at introducing this for the next Ko94 tournament in order to reduce/eliminate the number of no shows appearing in the bracket.

You won't be able to sign up for both initially, but rather on the day you can fill in for someone who didn't show.

Is it a topic that warrants discussion? Would anyone here want to play in both for next year? (I know coachmac would because he proposed it)

What should someone pay to play for the other console?

-The full registration fee?

-A reduced amount of the registration fee Ex. ~50% less?

-no charge? Is there a risk of someone not taking it seriously without paying?

If there are more players wanting to play on both systems than spots available, who should get them?

-in order of when the registered for the tournament on the site? (first come, first served) I think I'd have mikey add a section during registration to find out who would be interested in both systems.

-single game elimination playin tournament?

Any other thoughts on this subject?

thanks buds for any feedback.

What if the person makes the final 16 for both?

I think if we kept in touch with registrants, we could check a couple weeks ahead of time if they're still coming. Then we could replace people ahead of time. Hopefully that would bring it down to max 3 no shows for each system. I know your emails were getting spam filtered for many this time, which surely hurt participation.

For morning no shows, we could move afternoon guys to the morning (if they want), then for the afternoon no shows, we could use guys who were eliminated from the other system in the morning to fill in.

We could even take guys who were eliminated in the morning from the same system, provided they paid some fee for an extra shot in the afternoon.

I like Smoz's idea even better then playing on both systems.

I would have been happy to move to a morning group.

I would add:

Have an auction for Mulligans.

We do this at our Golf fund raisers for our athletic programs.

Then auction off the afternoon no shows to guys who did not make the Final 16 from the morning.

Gives Mikey/organizers a chance to raise some extra cash.

I

I think people should be allowed to fillin for no shows when it does not conflict with there participation, but without a fee. It seems bad faith to me to double charge people, since the spots were already paid for. (Even with Smozoma's idea of using people eliminated. In that case, it seems exploitative to charge what amounts to newbs a double entrance fee for the priveledge of being cannon fodder twice. Also I think it would be counter productive. For instance, without paying double I would be cannon fodder again, even on the other console, but I would bever pay again knowing I am going to get killed.) These spots are paid for. Let anyone that doesn't have a conflict have them.

Also, I would not make any effort replacing them befre game day. The organizers have enough n their plate, plus you never know what will happen gameday. Some of the replacement replacements may not show?

Edited by aqualizard

Double charge for twice the play seems perfectly fair to me.

Especially with the amount of work/time/effort Mikey and Halifax did.

Add the money raised to prize money, buy some extra wings/beer, whatever.

Not all fill ins would be cannon fodder.

Evan might have been interested in this or anybody in a group of death.

Plus the auction for the Mulligans would be fun.

Thinking about it more, I worry about the fairness of giving people mulligans. If you're in the afternoon, now you have these 5th place morning guys coming back for another shot and making it harder. They'd have used some of their matchups, so that could lessen their chances, but still...

I'm on the fence about charging for the fill-ins... at the very least it should be a reduced price. Auction.. on the fence again..

Also, I would not make any effort replacing them befre game day. The organizers have enough n their plate, plus you never know what will happen gameday. Some of the replacement replacements may not show?

Ideally we'd have a waiting list that we could easily grab from. We sold out, so surely there were more people interested. Even if some of the replacements don't show, at least we'd have cut down on no-shows a bit. 15 was a lot of no-shows, 11.7% of the spots. I dunno, I think it's worth the effort to try to find replacements in the two weeks before the tourney. Just open the site up again and advertise it again.

Here is why double charging full price will not work.

There are two types of guys that could re-enter, those who have a chance, and those that do not. As Smozoma said, letting guys that have a chance (came in 5th or 6th in morning) re-enter is not fair to the people still in it. And the guys that do not have a chance, they will not want to double pay only to be fodder. So the appeal to double pay is only for a couple of people, that are real contenders.

Which means the very real possibility that the extra spots -- that were already paid for!! -- will go unfilled.

And the ultimate goal is to eliminate no-shows, not raise more $$, and for sure that objective is best served by not charging more. It would be a disaster if the pursuit of more $ led to no-shows not being reduced.

What about having 3 entries?

GENS

SNES

KING

Only those that pay the KING entry will have a shot at the top prize.

KING entrants would play brackets on both consoles, and would choose which side they would prefer to compete in the championship bracket (if they made the top 16 in both).

Once the GENS/SNES Finals are completed, KING bracket would take the top seeds from both console championship brackets.

???

Edited by jer_33

Hm but I think that wouldn't fix the no-show situation, because if you wanted to fill in, you'd sign up for the king tourney ahead of time and have a spot reserved in both qualifiers, and then we'd have the same issue?

Thanks for the discussion so far. I should add that when players sign up next year, that if they are unable to to attend, it will be their responsibility to find someone to fill their spot. If we're not informed of one by the day, then we'll consider that spot vacant.

I took a quick look at those who did not attend. The majority were out of province. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, BC. Some people told me they were weren't coming...most of the no shows didn't.