NHL'94 Forums

NHL16 (The Ultimate NHL ROM)

skip

Two ROMs here (Go here for Midseason update ROM http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/17330-nhl16-rom-midseason-update-by-skip/ )

V3 Update - now has smoz hacks included (more below)

Tourney Edition - the tourney ROM is the same as V3, with these differences:

*penalties are 1 min instead of 2 mins. If there is an injury, then it is a 2 min penalty.

*99-min OT

*All players aggressiveness reduced by -1 from V3 ROM

*The lines are more apt to be what a GM would want their team to have (ie. Ovechkin at C instead of LW)

*All home/away/PP/SH advantages are evened out. Overall team rating is based on the 6 starters avg ratings.

10/18/2015 Update - V3 of the 2016 ROM includes smoz hacks

-Almost every player to wear a sweater this season is now in the game. Tweaked a few guys, moved some goalies around. I think you'll like.

Smoz hacks

-Added hot/cold accuracy in the edit lines

-Players are now hot or cold in all categories rather than ratings all over the place

-I updated the weight ratings for smoz hacks. I spent a solid couple of hours re-tooling player weights. I'd say ~40-50% of players had a change made to their weight rating for v3. I really like this change by smoz.

I added a new excel file that has all of the players sorted by position.

Thanks to wboy and slapshot67 for their work, but a continued huge thanks to slapshot67 for his graphics help each season! Without him, there is no Toews in the title screen, amongst other awesome s**t he does. Also, thanks to smoz for his sweet hacks.

NHL16v3.bin

NHL16v3.zip

NHL16tourneymode.bin

Edited by skip
  • Thanks 1

BRILLIANT, AN ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE!

I don't know how you did it, but it seems (or is it my imagination?) that players are in better positons, so can get to the puck faster, especially on D. Also forechecking seems easier, and therefore, more fun (for me, at least).

I can't think of anything I would change, except for the music assignments. Can you change the pointers so better songs are played? For example, "go team go" instead of some of those lame baseball park tunes?

If you can't, I can live with it.

I have to get to bed, but I can't stop playing this awesome game. lol

for two, why not? too realistic for you? you should hack so you can stop shitting on everybody's hard work for not perfectly aligning with your concepts.

for two, why not? too realistic for you? you should hack so you can stop shitting on everybody's hard work for not perfectly aligning with your concepts.

Because the skating gets messed up. The difference between a player's agility and speed should ALWAYS be the same or else you get unorthodox skating that is NOT in the classic version of the GENS version of NHL '94.

In SNES, it doesn't seem to be the case, so I can see where you are coming from.

And, how is it realistic when a player who normally is as agile as he is fast ends up with 55 agility and 80 speed for one game, then 80 agility and 55 speed for the next? I lost you there.

....how is it realistic when a player who normally is as agile as he is fast ends up with 55 agility and 80 speed for one game, then 80 agility and 55 speed for the next? I lost you there.

pulled muscle, fatigue, depression, overdose, influenza... variables that don't change everything uniformly. I don't know how you think your concept that it should all change at the same rate makes any sense, but you don't seem to like hockey outside of Crosby's underwear anyway....maybe there's no convincing you that variability is real and to have value in its emulation, even though your favorite player is the best example of my point.

pulled muscle, fatigue, depression, overdose, influenza... variables that don't change everything uniformly. I don't know how you think your concept that it should all change at the same rate makes any sense, but you don't seem to like hockey outside of Crosby's underwear anyway....maybe there's no convincing you that variability is real and to have value in its emulation, even though your favorite player is the best example of my point.

Pulled Muscles - Not in NHL '94

Fatigue - Not in NHL '94 without line changes (what we play with)

Depression - Not in NHL '94

Overdose - Not in NHL '94

Influenza - Not in NHL '94

So your logic is to make the players slower by 10 points and more agile by 10 points because of factors that aren't in the game? lol!

It's not supposed to make sense. It's supposed to feel like NHL '94. These special hot/cold boosts are a hack made by smozoma and they have never been used in any of the major GENS leagues for a reason.

not everybody has the same goals for game hacks as you do. you want it to be like the original... then why play anything but the original? if somebody wants to bring variance in, I'm all for it. "supposed to." to YOU. I don't like you.

If you wanted to play the old game w/ the new players, it would make sense to use the same settings for streaks, so the game would play the same but with the new players adding the variance.

Adding new players with new settings changes things quite a bit more.

Standard on GENS for all ROMS used is to never use the ratings varying individually. Not sure if Skip is/was aware of this or not.

IF I were to use the ROM, I'd re-hack it to not have that in there.

That said, I know when Coach Mac makes his custom ROM's, he tweaks alot of things, including the effects of Home/Ice, which I personally hate, but tolerate to play, because he's always got cool, well run leagues with a small group of guys.

I am a big fan of maintaining as much of the Original rom as possible.

The longer I am involved here and the more different roms I make the more I am convinced that the original "got it right"

The original is what we all fell in love with.

I now try to maintain the gameplay and feel as much as possible.

Kinda what you said Brutus of just having the variation be that Theo Fleury is playing the role of Gordie Howe and Roenick is playing the role of Bobby Hull, etc....

Even when I did the Home Ice thing I just maxed it out for everybody.

and when the other guys in the league did not like it I backed it off for everybody.

Thanks for the compliments on my leagues Brutus.

Once Classic is rolling along and my HS Football season ends watch for a Classic 92 League (but with more line edits allowed) and a 94 Original 6 League.

....Standard on GENS for all ROMS used is to never use the ratings varying individually. Not sure if Skip is/was aware of this or not....

it's a new hacking option from the last two years or so. how have you determined that there is a standard for Skip to be "aware of?!" such nonsense. as if there was a committee setting standards for the emulator you mentioned and that ROMs not following the established protocol are to be used on other emulators. this place blows my mind. this is exactly what I mean by the "cool" kids clique. will you send Skip to the kids table for not being aware that Brutus decided the GENS emulator is only for ROMs with one type of hack applied and certainly not for a particular other one? just wow. don't let them get you down or bully you into changing your awesome ROM, duder. the option you chose is really cool and plenty of us appreciate it. if the usual suspects don't like it, they can figure out further hacks for themselves.

it's a new hacking option from the last two years or so. how have you determined that there is a standard for Skip to be "aware of?!" such nonsense. as if there was a committee setting standards for the emulator you mentioned and that ROMs not following the established protocol are to be used on other emulators. this place blows my mind. this is exactly what I mean by the "cool" kids clique. will you send Skip to the kids table for not being aware that Brutus decided the GENS emulator is only for ROMs with one type of hack applied and certainly not for a particular other one? just wow. don't let them get you down or bully you into changing your awesome ROM, duder. the option you chose is really cool and plenty of us appreciate it. if the usual suspects don't like it, they can figure out further hacks for themselves.

Well... we have asked if anybody would like to play with this hack in the Genesis Draft League on multiple occassions, however nobody has ever voted for it and I think there is a reason for that.

We should clear some things up. You make it sound like skip put this hack in on purpose. I may be wrong, but I'm about 99% sure he doesn't know it's in the game lol. It was the default option in the ROM he used as a base. I know this because I made my own hack over the same ROM, and I ran a league with it in which me and a couple of other guys would say "What the f--- is wrong with this ROM? Something feels off..." Now it all makes sense lol. It was the hot/cold hack that I never put in.

Edited by Premium

AKA the Randy Woodicizer hack

I like the idea of each attribute being hot or cold individually, but when I made the hack and played it, it really did feel "off". If I were to revisit it, I'd try to link the two skating attributes' hot/cold modifier, while leaving the others different. Oh well.

I think in the hack program I made, I put "not recommended" next to the option? But if skip and/or whoever made the base ROM likes it, that's cool.

I like it. I like how it gives a real variance. variety spice, you know? it's like how in any given game you don't know if Chara will be able to muster up the desire to let the 109 MPH slapshot go. he may have even less speed than his normal slowness, but in that game he may managed to focus on stick handling/puck control. his agility may be down, but his accuracy is up. it's like actual life. not all things go the same level of wrong in a day. some things go right.

what is wrong with you people?

hey, Skip: I'm really sorry for whatever I may have done to ruin the awesomeness of your thread, here. I'm sure I'm doing you no favors in saying it, but your ROM is excellent and you don't deserve this. please keep doing what you do.

Clean it up fellows.

Tru lighten up. Plabax did nothing but offer his opinion on updating skips rom. You jumped in and turned into something more than it was.

right; let's remove everything that was here, leaving no record of the unnecessary abuse and then just dismiss it all like it was my fault. great moderating.

right; let's remove everything that was here, leaving no record of the unnecessary abuse and then just dismiss it all like it was my fault. great moderating.

Can't help but think of Sean Avery when I read this post. Hey tru, we're sorry for our abusive behaviour toward you!

thanks. you haven't been that bad, though. you keep it to the general bickering level that is actually appropriate for the trashtalking that is natural while playing -- and discussing -- the game. you act like a jerk in response to my tactless posting standard, which is appropriate. the stuff that was removed from here was a different level of hateful and it wasn't me. it's not cool that the issue has been whitewashed with the history rewritten to fault me. but, when clowns run the circus or patients run the asylum.... where're Chaos and Evan for levelheaded action? not here, so we get what we got: a hugely biased and disproportionate response.