NHL'94 Forums

NHL16 (The Ultimate NHL ROM)

skip

• 3 weeks later...

iF there was a way of editing WHAT home/away ice affected, the idea would be much neater.

But as it stands, one set of guys seemingly turn immortal, & the other set shrink to shadows of themselves.

It doesn't take much w/ a few checks to get the crowd going & then in a 5 minute period, it's 50% minimum of the remaining period with a huge advantage before (IF!) it subsides again. If you tinker with these settings too much, it really ruins gameplay.

Again, if you could make it so that shot accuracy & awareness are what go up & not the physical skills, then it would make sense, and even accuracy is questionable to how fun it becomes for the road team.

There was a reason Coach took the "extra" out.

Also, if you could set it so home ice gets some set advantage at the start & could then disable or shrink the effects of the crowd momentum, you might be able to tweak gameplay & still have it as fun & entertaining.

But for myself, & many others, no one wants to suddenly find their players can't even play half as good while the other team appears to have gobbled up some super pacman pill.

I think in a line change league w/ longer periods, I'd make the home team fatigue slower.

That'd be something cool. But in the line changes off, hack & slash style video game that most of us play, home/away ice is a rom makers desire to add more variables, but really just potentially lowering the value of the game play compared to the classic rom.

A high percentage prefer the feel of classic even over Blitz which edited in better goalies & added checking into the weight bug fix & removes the c/b. The more accurate to real life does not appear to be the "best" play, IMO.

I have experimented with this a great deal and it does have the ability to greatly influence games and how players play.

I now feel that the best and most fair settings in EARE are to give all teams Strong Home Ice and all teams Average Road Rating.

It makes both teams play well.

If you set them both to average, I find that the road team actually has an advantage.

Setting either below average and you get deteriorating play.

Home Ice advantage does impact 92 and 93 more than 94.

These are the results from our recent league, using those settings.

http://www.nhl94online.com/html/standings.php?lg=32&sublg=GENS

The more accurate to real life does not appear to be the "best" play, IMO.

100% agree.

Edited by CoachMac

I think in a line change league w/ longer periods, I'd make the home team fatigue slower.

That'd be something cool. But in the line changes off, hack & slash style video game that most of us play, home/away ice is a rom makers desire to add more variables, but really just potentially lowering the value of the game play compared to the classic rom.

A high percentage prefer the feel of classic even over Blitz which edited in better goalies & added checking into the weight bug fix & removes the c/b. The more accurate to real life does not appear to be the "best" play, IMO.

The classic ROM has the worst home/road advantages by far. Blitz has it so that all home teams have a "strong" advantage, while all the road teams have an "average" advantage. GDL sets all teams to average.

Since there are no advantages in GDL, the magnitude of the stats aren't affected to the degree they are in Classic or Blitz. For example.. a player who has 80 stickhandling in GDL does not actually have the same stickhandling as someone who has 80 stickhandling in Blitz, because of the difference in home/road advantages.

I agree with CoachMac here. I believe the best way to set it is strong home and average away.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting stuff guys, thanks. I did all average (road + home, all PP/PK) to keep things even, but doing Home/Road as Strong/Average would be cool to do next time.

Plabs you gonna join Velocity League season 2? Can you just be cool, man? :)

• 4 weeks later...

This is brilliant work...time to get the boys together for a "94-16" night..wings, beer, and my laptop, an HDMI cable to the TV, with an adaptor for PS2 controllers. 20 years later this game still rules, and these updates will make it playable forever. I wouldn't change anything except maybe go with the 15 scale ratings, but that's not a big deal as you still have many usable players on each team.. I'd gladly send you a few bucks for a trade deadline update.

Now I just need to get my kids playing!