NHL'94 Forums

Fall '15 SNES-A Vegas Odds

annatar

annatar (BOS) : +350 --- Team Rank: 2 --- Ranking myself first seems like the biggest jinx ever but with a very strong team in Boston and a good run of recent results I think Vegas would agree. Key will be getting the most out of Neely and Bourque and finding a way to win consistently against one of the strongest Classic lineups in recent seasons.

BobKudelski26 (WSH) : +450 --- Team Rank: 8 --- On paper the Capitals might not be an elite team but Bob and I know they can be deadly. With his elite technical ability and the rock solid blueline of Iafrate-Hatcher it's hard to imagine Bob not making another deep run. The catch is WSH's inconsistent offense and the potential of running into the reigning KO94 champ in the semis.

NorthwayNative (CHI) : +450 --- Team Rank: 6 --- This isn't the GENS version of JR but Northway knows how to get the most out of the Hawks and he enters this year with the highest winning percentage of any entrant. His lack of recent participation in leagues is the only thing keeping him out of top spot, but anyone who doesn't respect his offensive skills is likely to learn a very unpleasant lesson.

kingof94 (NYR) : +600 --- Team Rank: 3 --- By far the hardest coach to assess. On one hand, he enters online league play for the first time. On the other, he is fresh off a dominant showing in Toronto where he showed he can handle both the pressure and many of the top SNES players. He's also secured an excellent team that suits his incisive, uptempo game perfectly. There is risk here, yet underestimate him at your peril.

angryjay93 (VAN) : +900 --- Team Rank: 12 --- I have a bit of a dropoff after the top 4 but it's no slight on AJ who has shown he has the chops to compete at the highest level in any format. He will have to lean heavily on Bure and find a way to keep pucks out at the other end with his decidedly average defensive corps. Despite competing on both systems simultaneously I see a fire in his eyes and I think he will have a big year in both leagues.

c4outlaws (MTL) : +1000 --- Team Rank: 10 --- There is not much to separate these next few coaches and veteran competitor c4 is always a good bet to make the playoffs. He now just needs to prove he can go the distance. The Habs have a good if not spectacular roster which should suit his measured, technical style and he will be looking for quick one timers from his forwards to do some damage. A top goalie never hurts and he should be coming in with confidence after a strong SDL IV showing.

stheds2000 (WPG) : +1000 --- Team Rank: 11 --- Winnipeg is not the strongest team but with an offensive weapon in Selanne and one of the best skating dmen there is no reason why stheds shouldn't be in the top 8 when the regular season is over. Recent hiccups have moved him down my rankings a bit, but he has a proven track record of success and one of the most suffocating defenses in the league. If he can play to his potential there is value here.

schwartz (LA) : +1050 --- Team Rank: 4 --- Another tough one to rate. Playing in his favour is a team with basically no weaknesses as LA will line up a bruising blueline and three very solid forwards, with a deep bench to boot. He also showed at KO94 that he still has what it takes. I slide him down a bit in case he shows some early rust but expect him to be a very strong competitor for one of the 8 playoff spots.

SNESboy777 (PIT) : +1250 --- Team Rank: 1 --- Has to be considered a dark horse. Quietly scored a top 10 finish at KO94, where he demonstrated the ability to grind out tight games under pressure. Now wielding the best team in the game, if he slows the game down and uses Pittsburgh's weight to generate chances he will be more than a handful to play against.

The90Jacket (BUF) : +1550 --- Team Rank: 9 --- A vet who's had plenty of success and this is a perfect chance to show he still belongs in the elite. If he's going to take that step, it will be on the back of Mogilny who is a top 2 talent in the game. Wind him up and watch him go. The tough part will be defending with the ho-hum defense Buffalo offers.

tylerdeanhill (DET) : +2400 --- Team Rank: 7 --- The other Hill brother will be one to watch with a great Wings team that suits his offense-first style. He will compete for the playoffs and if he gets enough bounces he can sneak into the top 8. I ultimately see too many tough and deep teams ahead of him but he won't be an easy out for anyone.

McMarkis (CGY) : +3000 --- Team Rank: 5 --- Being last on this list really isn't anything to be ashamed of. Calgary can skate, score and hit and McMarkis has been known to give some of the best players trouble. Almost inexplicably has a sub .500 record on the site but will likely still take games off the elite.

Edited by annatar

Thank you for posting this Annatar as I enjoyed it very much. I thought the Gens league was going to be tough but this is shaping up to be a dog fight. I have the King of 94 and the Smashfest winner in my division. I'll have to strike first, strike hard, and show no mercy.