NHL'94 Forums

Controlling Tempo

aqualizard

Hello and Good Day!

A friend I play with in person mentioned that he believe that you can control the tempo of a game -- including the AI of your team mates -- by your own play.

Specifically, he says that when he plays aggressively, and does a lot of C-check, the rest of his team mates will follow suit and as the game progresses, they will check more, and they will lose their defensive shape. Conversely, by avoiding C-checks and staying put, he feels the rest of his team calms down and holds strong defensive positions.

Is there any truth to this? I can see how you can control your own tempo, but I am suspicious about this extending to the other guys on your team, that thr CPU controls?

Hmmm good question. I thinking there's some correlation to the players you control and where the AI goes. If you take your C behind the net chasing the other 4 will prolly react differently than if you parked it in the slot.

This topic sounds familiar

Nothing proven, but I've heard other people claim similar things (the AI will mimic your behavior). Best to just try it out and report your findings. Start a game, grab a savestate. Play the game blasting C and see what the AI does. Restart the game with the savestate (assumes any bonuses and other unknown things are identical) and play the game calm. See what the AI does. If you have time, I'd try to do 2 each way.

Nothing proven, but I've heard other people claim similar things (the AI will mimic your behavior). Best to just try it out and report your findings. Start a game, grab a savestate. Play the game blasting C and see what the AI does. Restart the game with the savestate (assumes any bonuses and other unknown things are identical) and play the game calm. See what the AI does. If you have time, I'd try to do 2 each way.

All my AI do is C-check and take penalties (two things I never do) :D

IF you successfully smash your opponent enough, momentum will swing highly in your favor, and your team will be given bonuses that basically increase the attributes of your players on the ice.

This can cause your team to play differently, but not more aggressively.

The out of position often is a correlation to how you play. I noticed when veteran guys grab their center and camp in front of their defensive position in front of the goalie, the rest of the team stays more in position. You almost have to skate around to "bait" one of the other 4 CPU guys out of position prior to starting your attack.

Obviously, a tactic like this is opposite of many other players who chase you if you are in their zone at least.

So, some times, I think it's the way your OPPONENT is playing after you BLASTED him all over the ice, and the positions you choose on defense while playing this way that effects your team.

But I believe there is ZERO correlation between the CPU AI "mimicking" your behavior directly. It would be an indirect result of your other actions (positioning, etc.)

coming from the 'Righties have better agility and deking skills than a lefty' guy hehe

It's true. Notice how Modano isn't dominant like Klima and Gartner? Notice how you can spin 10/10 times on right but never on left? Have you used Robitaille? He says it all.

It's true. Notice how Modano isn't dominant like Klima and Gartner? Notice how you can spin 10/10 times on right but never on left? Have you used Robitaille? He says it all.

I'll give it a shot tonight honestly never noticed but I not that observant of stuff like that when I play

I do believe there is some correlation to tempo. I think the players move to their respective locations based on D and O aware, but I think it takes them time to get there. I noticed if I pass the puck around like would normally be done in a real life hockey game, the players move accordingly. They also tend to be more relaxed, and end up drawing penalties instead of causing them. I think the quick transitions, for instance, between a turnover and settling in the defensive zone, is where there is a lot of chaos and there movements become slightly unpredictable. When moving at high tempos, the smarter D and O can react, but when you slow down, you give the dumber D and O time to react.

As far as the righties turn faster, I bet the game was programmed where handedness was just sprite swap, or treated it like that in some cases. I'm not sure if I ever saw a difference on passing from backhand, or receiving a backhand pass, compared to forehand. Probably another thing that could be checked out.

I'll give it a shot tonight honestly never noticed but I not that observant of stuff like that when I play

I'm the same way, I'm not observant whatsoever while playing. I didn't know about the righty/lefty differences until a few months ago as far as I remember

I think the original question asks IF the CPU behaves differently if you pound around w/ the C button, then they pound around checking as well.

This I've never seen. Maybe guys that like to check, take teams w/ Bourque & CO who check more.

If you SLOW pace down, then yes, everything else slows down, as noone is out of position to cover for, etc. If you don't turn the puck over, or try to aggressively attack the net, then yes, pace slows down as well.

But, if you make good passes around the rink, I don't think your defender then suddenly makes more or less checks, or any internal coding that would correlate to that.