NHL'94 Forums

working on Ninety Flow 2015-2016

tru

having seriously started, I think it's time to explore and/or encourage any available participation. I'm guessing I'm about 1/8 of the way into this update. it should be easyish, with most of the work with a calculator needed for newcomers. however, there was a lot of turnover in the recent offseason and my time per day to plug away is miniscule, so we may still be a month away.

anyway, time to chat. Bueller?

• 3 weeks later...

so, I am moving far away and may have to delay longer than I'd wish, but there will be one this season. lately I have been working on the booklet and I could use some ideas for the remaining pages. what "needs" to be included?

Edited by tru

12241751_1092101000814794_89259601556693

my new formula is basically this link: http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=25&s=10&f1=2015_s&f2=5v5&f5=BOS&c=0%201%203%205%207%2010%2011%2063%2067#

it's much easier to compute and should be easy enough to temper for teams with farther-out-liers or just further outliers. I have a system and a lack of time to do the tedious work player by player. I'll keep y'all posted.

• 4 weeks later...

and then life happened. got to move. maybe more than once. this thing is still a thing, but just not yet. maybe soon, but certainly around trade deadline and/or the playoffs. sorry to both people that care. I'm here if you'd like to discuss any pertinent matters. something.

• 1 month later...

cool. let me know how you feel about it. when I get some Internet set up in our new place, I'll get back to work on this. thanks for responding.

activate the multiptap option in emulator. set your controller buttons in the emulator options. you then have five colors to chose from. default (first) is hardest to see. red (fifth) is easiest to see.

• 1 month later...

okay! I tracked down the dude who runs behindthenet.ca and it turns out that he didn't know that there hadn't been an update in over a month and a half. when nhl.com switched to a new servicer and format for their statistics, it broke his formulae. it should be up-to-date by tomorrow night, so I'll get back to work on this project again very soon. I'll try to have it done for the start of the playoffs. if anybody wants to help in any way please let me know.

it's still having major problems, with some teams showing players from two seasons ago and the wrong statistics for their current players. I'll get going once behindthenet.ca is functional again.

• 3 weeks later...

number crunching is "done," so it's now time to open up the editor and start the real work. looks good to be done by the playoffs. hit me with any concerns or ideas for the remaining booklet pages.

big, blank image indeed.

only WSH seemed to need any jersey work since last season, so I'm cruising right along.

does anybody want to betatest? I'm getting close, here. I'll probably keep plugging away slowly over the next four days, or so, and then once every playoff team has had at least one game played, I'll set the lines and be "done" enough for a proper release. what I could use is somebody to flip through and check spelling, jersey numbers, handedness, weights... that kind of stuff. please let me know if you'd like to help in any way. I could still use ideas for the remaining booklet pages, too. holler.

I'm looking for help with exactly what I described above. the thing is about three days or so from being "done," but I tend to overlook my own errors on things like handedness, weights, spelling... it seems I make far more simple mistakes than I would ever have guessed, as evidenced from last year's installment. it makes sense, seeing as I work alone or with my girlfriend's help -- if she's feeling it that season -- but, anyway, over these last few years, I have been very lucky getting simple verification checks on jersey numbers and the likes from members here. none of those participants have logged in recently, so if you'd be willing to take on any of that stuff, expect a ROM link in your private messages sometime in the next few days. please advise on if you'd be willing to do any/all of those checks and then stop in here daily this week. thank you very much for offering to play the hero. here's to everything falling into place!

oh, and if while you are doing that stuff, you'd like to offer opinions on specific ratings, help is always appreciated there, too, in certain fields, including player acceleration/speed, player shot power, player stickwork/puck possession/check resistance....I don't need help with overall ratings for players, but I can explain how I do team overall ratings, player shot accuracy and player pass/shot bias to the point that those can be checked, too. there is always more to do, but the priority I'd ask of you is toward checking my work for basic errors first. thanks again! please advise.

Edited by tru

awesome! I'm thinking that maybe as early as tonight I will have a tester ROM ready (with lineups still to be set after each playoff team plays a game), so please stay tuned. we are getting really close, here. much appreciated!

oh, and goalie skills are something I don't necessarily know a lot about, so tips on any goalies you know would be cool, like "Jim Jones is garbage down low," or "Steve Smith is fast but can't catch the puck," or "Bob Burns covers the puck well but can't seem to stop high shots."

this ROM I'll be sending to you two (hopefully by tomorrow afternoon) will not have overall ratings done, yet, so most players will get adjustments to their endurances/staminas and awarenesses to balance them to their intended overall ratings. lines also won't be set, yet, so forwards might be lined up on defense and stuff like that.

a bunch of the skill ratings were picked about a month ago, so some stuff may be a bit off from final yearlong statistics.

if you want to check shooting accuracy, that's done this way:

(per season)
100+ shots with no goals = 35
<100 shots with no goals = 45
0.01-4.99% shooting = 55
5-9.99% shooting = 65
10-14.99% shooting = 85
15-100% shooting = 100

aggression/reputation:
(per season)

penalty minutes assessed / minutes on ice = x

x = 0* = 45
x = 0.001-0.0399 = 55
x = 0.04-0.1099 = 65

x = 0.11-0.2999 = 85

x = 0.3 or more = 100

*I give players with very little ice time or very few games played a 55 -- or very rarely more -- even if they calculate to a 45, much like I do for the shooting accuracy with close to zero shots taken for the season, but it's done without hard rules, case by case.

y'all don't need to check the work on that accuracy and reputation stuff, but I'm sure some have changed since I did the maths, so you can feel free to check any/all of those if you'd like to.

I have just two rosters left and a few minor hex edits to do, so I might get the test ROM ready in the next twelve hours or so. stay tuned and thanks again!

Edited by tru

okay.

check your private messages.

don't hesitate to get at me with stuff.

there is no need to wait until you have a lot of notes.

the sooner you let me know what's up, the sooner I can make the necessary changes.

it'd be great if you can respond before this weekend, as I'd like to be "done" by Saturday morning.

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

sweet! I'm going to plug away at overall player ratings and then on Thursday and Friday I'll do starting lineups, too. I'm hoping Cosmic will be able to help before the weekend, too, as I'd like to have this ready for release on Saturday, 4/16/16.

Edited by tru

I'm ready for anything you've got for me so far, guys. if there is anybody else willing to help tonight and/or tomorrow, PLEASE chime in!

where did you guys go? I'm hoping you will participate ASAFP. I guess I'll push back my intended release date to Monday, 4/18/16, to allow us some time to work, communicate, work. please advise on where you are at and what you have found so far. thanks!

awesome. I hope to wrap this up today or tomorrow. your help has been crucial and I owe you some type of returned favor.