NHL'94 Forums

Road to the Cup Hockey '94 (Unreleased Title)

Road to the Cup Hockey '94 is an unreleased title that was intended to be delivered to the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo back in 1993 by Park Place Productions, with Electro Brain doing the work to port the title over to the SNES/SFC.

Not much is known about this game, aside from information that has been scooped up by researchers over the past decades, so I sadly cannot say much of anything regarding where this game was supposed to go or what its condition is (if it does have a ROM image to begin with), but provided the fact that Park Place was the same group to work with Electronic Arts to develop NHL Hockey '92, EA (Sports Network) Hockey, Pro Hockey, and the Super Famicom version of NHLPA Hockey '93, I would not be surprised if they had wanted to develop their own IP using their own new engine or working with NHL Hockey '92 as a template/basis for what was to come of it, it sounded as if it probably would have been an interesting title to reside alongside NHL Hockey '94, in the long run.

Below is some of the information that I have been able to scoop up from Sega Retro and plentiful forums, in relation to this title.

You may have a read of that information below; as little as it might be, at least it is worth archiving this in some probable form.

Sega Retro:

~ Title: Road to the Cup Hockey '94

~ Involved Companies: Electro Brain, Park Place Productions

~ ROM Found and Released?: No.

SMS Power! ~ GDRI:

Mega Drive/Genesis

~ Road to the Cup Hockey '94 (unreleased) (Electro Brain)

Super Famicom/Super NES

~ Road to the Cup Hockey '94 (unreleased) (Electro Brain)

Lost Levels Forums, posted by GDRI:

~ Road to the Cup Hockey '94 (Park Place Prod.), Electrobrain (Super NES):

Unreleased. Sole programmer. Develped tokenized-AI routines and improved SNES sprite engine/support library.

You may read up more on what has been presented here from the below links as well.

It's mostly everything that I have brought up here, but presents everything that was discussed.

~ Sega Retro: http://segaretro.org/Unreleased_Mega_Drive_games

~ SMS Power! ~ GDRI: http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/Park_Place_Productions

~ Lost Levels Forums: http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?p=25818

~ Google Groups, originally posted by Harry A. Schenck: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.jobs.resumes/cn4V8yxwD-E

In the event that you happen to know anything more about Road to the Cup Hockey '94, and/or in the event that the original ROM image(s) is or are found and dumped, then please do feel more than free to deliver your findings.

I have always been curious about this one, provided how positive Park Place's track record with Early 199X decade Generation IV Gaming has been, so it truly be a shame that this game had never come out or finished; granted, I know that I will be keeping an eye out for this one, in the event that my research on it comes up with something major, it truly will do a lot of good if we could find the ice hockey game that could or would have been a decently lovable competitor to NHL '94.

Road to the Cup Hockey '94 is rather rarely talked about, much to my shock and surprise, it is one of the only unreleased titles of its genre from that portion of the decade.

Far as I am aware, this is probably only the third or fourth major forum post that it that exists on the mainstream sites, but wishfully, this will probably get somebody out there to get the talk on this title expanded more beyond the basic development information, this game could have gone somewhere if it got finished or came out.

I appreciate the compliment, it always makes me smile to know that I am able to do this for the forum.

Details and Quality are my personal Hot Spots, delivering content and information such as this always is worth my time to do, I am happy to deliver it at all points in time. (:

Road to the Cup Hockey '94 is an unreleased title that was intended to be delivered to the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo back in I993 by Park Place Productions, with Electro Brain doing the work to port the title over to the SNES/SFC.

What is I993? 1993?

Road to the Cup Hockey '94 is rather rarely talked about, much to my shock and surprise, it is one of the only unreleased titles of its genre from that portion of the decade.

The google groups page also mentions ESPN National Hockey Night saying that it wasn't released. But it was released. Looks like ESPN went with a different production company.

Have you tried contacting him? Maybe through LinkedIn? You could probably get more information about it.

On 10/31/2015 at 4:03 PM, chaos said:

What is I993? 1993?

Simply put, yes.

As stated by me on plentiful occasions on here, I'm not much of a fan of the way that the number "1" looks with that little tail on the end nowadays, depending on the font, so I use the Capital I in place of it (except for discussing code, model numbers, and certain other specifics).

The Google Groups page also mentions ESPN National Hockey Night saying that it wasn't released, but it was released.

Looks like ESPN went with a different production company.

The resume that is on that page is dated for May 17 of 1994, roughly six months before the release of the title.

The Genesis version of ESPN National Hockey Night had come out in November and the Super Nintendo counterpart had come out in December, and I presume that Pegasus Racer and Shut Up and Jam! were still being worked on at that time back in May, that would explain why they are labeled as Unreleased at that point in time.

Have you tried contacting him, maybe through LinkedIn?

You could probably get more information about it.

I or anybody else on this forum would probably have to plan to do an interview with him at some point, in the event that ever comes to be a possibility for any of us, this definitely would help out in learning more about the ice hockey game that could have come to be.

In the event that this ever becomes possible, I feel that asking the major questions (such as how the game was supposed to play, how it would have looked and sounded, as well as anything regarding the OST and the spokesperson/commentator for the game) would have to be asked before posing the ultimately and heavily wondered question, that question being "Why was RttCH '94 canceled?"; there is a major chance that we could probably arrange something out of this, and I definitely would be glad to do so if I ever get the time to do so, I truly feel that we would be able to obtain a massive amount of good from doing this, an interview of some sort could get the game back into the public eye somehow, even if it is simply a conversation in text form. (:

Edited by smozoma
fixed confusing personalized numbering system

• 1 year later...

"Given the dates, my guess is that that was a game for Sony since Park Place was out of the EA fold by then and had been signed by Sony for a bunch of titles for the early PlayStation.  A disaster, that's another story." 

From Michael Brooks 

• Like 2