NHL'94 Forums

Idea: Incentive based checkpoints in Leagues

I know it's always been an issue of having people complete their league games in a specified amount of time, especially meeting checkpoints. There's nothing specific that brought this up, I just know it was an issue when I first played here in 2007 and it appears to be an issue that continues today.

What are your thoughts about having league checkpoints that could be incentive based?

Classic for example, each coach is to complete 8 games per week.

1st person to log 8 games that week = 3 pts

2nd = 2 pts

3rd = 1 pt

Each week follows the same formula.

At the end of the season, the person with the highest number of pts receives 3 draft picks higher in the following Classic league, 2nd gets 2 draft picks higher, 3rd gets 1 draft pick higher.

I haven't thought through the numbers but just wanted to get some discussion going around what the community thinks about incentive based checkpoints.

If you think it's a bad idea, that's fine.

If not, share some feedback or even better, other ideas.

I think Game Nights work better :) Have two days a week where everyone plays.

What's in it for me with draft incentive? I already know I won't be able to draft the team I'd like to...

Edited by Premium

I was simply using the draft scenario as a potential option to kick off the convo since I don't understand how drafts are determined. I like the idea of game nights though. High concentration of players in one place at a specified time is always good.

With the new random team draft format in Classic - I would have no problem punishing those with DNP's with a draft penalty in the next draft.

Guys should really make an effort to get as many games in as early as possible. Make the first checkpoint mandatory.

I've never liked the current system of punishing all coaches for DNP's when it's generally not the fault of both coaches. It's especially frustrating if coach plays poorly for a half season - then gives up. He effectively gives half the league free points, and those that never get a chance to play him get points taken away.

Ideally - if a coach is not replaced, those games/points should be removed from the standings.

Edited by jer_33

With the new random team draft format in Classic - I would have no problem punishing those with DNP's with a draft penalty in the next draft.

I didn't realize it was a random draft format for Classic. That would support my idea from above since you would want to give yourself the best possible chance the following season to get a team you want.

Been playing in a league with a very interesting incentive-based checkpoint system.

It's based on attendance. The league is broken into two halves, each coach is to play each other coach twice in that period. There will be a set number of gatherings in that period, and players will receive an attendance point for each one they attend. At the end of the half, any unplayed games are scored by attendance points - so guys who are absent more often effectively forfeit.

Just thought I'd share...

I think making the leagues a bit smaller with a longer waitlist would help. Than as soon as a checkpoint is missed by a coach replace them. It seems coaches usually get a pass if they miss the first checkpoint or 2 even though these are the easiest to hit. Replace them immediately and keep the league going.

I think making the leagues a bit smaller with a longer waitlist would help. Than as soon as a checkpoint is missed by a coach replace them. It seems coaches usually get a pass if they miss the first checkpoint or 2 even though these are the easiest to hit. Replace them immediately and keep the league going.

Under the current format, if a coach misses a 3rd checkpoint and they're 3-18, would you really want to pick up that team? I think replacement should be a very last resort.

If we figure out a way to get in front of the issue and incentivize coaches up front (that is, outside of playing the best game ever), my hopes are the problem will resolve itself and we won't have to rely on any replacement lists (except in the more extreme cases)

I've also supported the use of a "league score". Coaches would be graded on attendance in previous leagues, scoring highly for completing seasons - and punished for DNPs or all-out disappearing.

I think Classic dnp's & Gdl/Blitz league dnp's are completely separate situations.

Most of classic dnp's come from drop outs, where punishment would be pointless, but normally a coach gets to substitute in after he missed the initial signup.

And, EA, if you missed Classsic & you are new, even though your record blows, it's still the first chance to get actual league games in & all of us who have done it prefer it to NOT having been able to play.

For draft leagues, continuous leagues, then game night, penalties & league size are all relevant discussions. BUT, as most leagues go, they "sound" more fun when you are trying to get a larger group to play, not realizing which ones are the real B-Holes who are just signing up to not play!!?!

I've been saying for draft leagues that draft order should be strictly based on participation & early games have a weight to them.

Same guys win almost every season regardless of draft order because you use snake.

So you should do away with snake if you wanted it "balanced out" or put the greater emphasis on games played to keep the league rolling.