NHL'94 Forums

Everdrive

The difference is nothing -or- the new carts loading time is nothing?

The X3 is now priced to kill the 'knock-offs' and can be had for $40 less than the V3s were selling for.

I meant the loading time is really nothing. It's very small with the V3, so I don't think the X3 is necessary.

It looks like there is no more V3 anyway. And the prices have dropped. I would probably go with the X5, its only $89 now. If you don't think save states or Sega-CD RAM expansion is a big deal, then the X3 is $49 and that is a good deal as well.

• Like 1

I've got an NES also.

The roms don't save though.

Like in TSB if you shut down you lose the season.

The Gens saves just like the Original Genesis does.

Playoffs get saved.

What additional would save states do?

Save states would let you save like it's an emulator, at an arbitrary point. In case you just don't want to play anymore but the game doesn't support saving... or the game is really hard and you want to be able to try a section multiple times without losing all your lives (so a game like Battle Toads could conceivably be beaten)

I tried beating Battle Toads with save states and couldn't do it.

Me too... I just got sick of it, it wasn't even fun!

The first 2 levels are really great, and I actually enjoyed level 3 (the car level), but then it's just torture after that. I think I got to level 8 or 9 (of 12) then called it quits.

• Like 1

I've got an NES also.

The roms don't save though.

Like in TSB if you shut down you lose the season.

The Gens saves just like the Original Genesis does.

Playoffs get saved.

What additional would save states do?

Coach, the NES one does do save states. There is an option in the menu you need to turn on (press SELECT at the ROM selection screen), then I believe it's something like Up + Start to load the state, Down + Start to save it.

http://​http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=2554.0

The SNES version does not.

Also, it should be noted that they all offer battery saves (SRAM). When you save in a game (that supports it), the save is written to the SRAM, just like a cartridge. When you decide to switch to a different game, the SRAM is written to a file specific to that game, then the new game is loaded into memory, along with the new game's save file. I have actually pulled the saved SRAM file of a specific game and loaded it in an emulator to play. Then you can save in the emulator, put the save on the Everdrive, and begin playing where you left off. It's a neat little feature, though it does take a little hex editing sometimes because the 2 save files may be a different size (usually just padding the end of the file with FF).

They seem to have gotten rid of the original Everdrive MD v3. Now they just have X3,5,7. X3 and X5 doesn't appear to save states (my apologies), but the X7 does.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5775.0

I tried beating Battle Toads with save states and couldn't do it.

Ugh hardest game ever. It took me like 20 years to finally beat the 3rd rat race in Level 10, then get stuck on Level 11 where the giant lollypop looking thing chases you.

• Like 2

I never knew battletoads was that hard. I'm soooooo tempted and scared to play now, lol.

If I could ever beat it, it would be the greatest accomplishment ever for me in gaming. It has haunted me since 4th grade. It's not just hard, it's really unfair. Some levels have no margin for error.

• Like 1

Oh so X3 doesnt do save states? I'll do x5 Then, may have to pick up the NES version as well....

Sorry bud, I was wrong. The X7 does save states, not the X5 or X3. Everyone here has the Everdrive MD v3, which doesn't look like it's being made anymore (though some retailers are still selling it, probably until their stock is gone). The X5 seems to be the closest in features with the Everdrive MD v3. So I would go with the X5, unless you want save states, then the X7 would be your choice. Save states seems to drive the price up, it must be hard to implement.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info, have not ordered yet.

So X3 and X5 if they have a save battery, they will save (example NHL 95)

Leaning towards X3 now if going with NES one as well. Would like save states but getting the X7 and NES is a whole lotta moola.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, have not ordered yet.

So X3 and X5 if they have a save battery, they will save (example NHL 95)

Leaning towards X3 now if going with NES one as well. Would like save states but getting the X7 and NES is a whole lotta moola.

Yes they have a save battery. I think with the X3, in order to save though, you have to hit the reset button before you power off. It doesn't have the "Save without reset" feature.

"Saves without reset" means you don't need to reset your console and get back to the Everdrive menu. Your save is written in the internal RAM when powering off. Without "Saves without reset", you need to reset the game to the Everdrive menu so your saved game can be written to RAM. If you don't, your save will be lost.

That's why its cheaper than the X5.

• Like 1

Thanks chaos you have been a wealth of info!

Anytime bud! You'll see, the everdrives are awesome! The best thing about them is the ability to play modded and translated games on the console.

• Like 3

• 5 years later...

Please forgive the necrobump but this seemed like the most relevant topic to post to without just starting a new one.

I've recently gotten a Mega EverDrive X3 direct from Krikzz but I haven't been able to use it yet. I was trying to use a SanDisk 32gb with it since they say they support cards up to that size and that was the smallest one I could find locally, but I keep getting an "SD card not found" error.

Before I order one online, I felt I should get a little advice on the subject. What kind of SD cards do you have in your EverDrives?