NHL'94 Forums

Real Player Ratings

CoachMac

Fake player ratings is not the most real. NHL '94 plays nothing like a real hockey game, so don't expect the best guys in real life to be the best guys in the ROM. NHL '94 doesn't do this, yet you still get a pretty good result of who the best guys were in real life.

It's better than making people fast and having good shots for no reason. Gretzky isn't fast and he doesn't a good shot but he's still one of the best in the game.

It's tough in 94 Mac because the ratings aren't on a 1-100 scale I guess that why the variances from game to game were factored in.

STH SHA are prolly the areas you can differentiate the stars from the rest. Then factor in the awareness too. There's some calculation that makes Klima dynamic be cuz his OFA/DFA combo.

At the end of the day the coach is what truly separates the players.

Wonder if there's a way to 'lock' a players rating so if a 4 is 62-80 then u make some 4's locked at 62 and others at 80? Kind of creating another layer of ratings? Not sure if that has been figured out yet

It's tough in 94 Mac because the ratings aren't on a 1-100 scale I guess that why the variances from game to game were factored in.

STH SHA are prolly the areas you can differentiate the stars from the rest. Then factor in the awareness too. There's some calculation that makes Klima dynamic be cuz his OFA/DFA combo.

At the end of the day the coach is what truly separates the players.

Klima and Gartner are dynamic because of their unique stats. 7 weight, right-handed, 5/5 skaters with great shooting and stickhandling. Modano would be as good if he were right-handed.

Wonder if there's a way to 'lock' a players rating so if a 4 is 62-80 then u make some 4's locked at 62 and others at 80? Kind of creating another layer of ratings? Not sure if that has been figured out yet

That's the purpose of the 0-15 rating scale.

while the Genesis version is an arcadey nonsimulation game, the SNES one does -- or at least can -- play more like the actual league. player ratings can give you the feeling that you are controlling a real player, with his poor shot but slick passing, his great defensive positioning but lack of agility, his high speed but bad stick/puck control....

Edited by tru

while the Genesis version is an arcadey nonsimulation game, the SNES one does -- or at least can -- play more like the actual league. player ratings can give you the feeling that you are controlling a real player, with his poor shot but slick passing, his great defensive positioning but lack of agility, his high speed but bad stick/puck control....

Well.. all that stuff is in the Genesis version too. There are tons of players with poor shots but great passing. And many with good positioning and lack of agility, and again some with high speed and bad puck control. That doesn't mean it plays like the real NHL :D

When it all comes down to it, the difference between the players is larger in the Genesis version than it is in the SNES version.

okay. I just meant that realism shouldn't be dismissed as unnecessary due to the fact that the game doesn't play out like actual NHL hockey for you. it sure does for me. is it perfect? of course not, but it approaches that with careful attention to player ratings.

okay. I just meant that realism shouldn't be dismissed as unnecessary due to the fact that the game doesn't play out like actual NHL hockey for you. it sure does for me. is it perfect? of course not, but it approaches that with careful attention to player ratings.

Dude, be real. NHL '94 plays nothing like an actual hockey game.

Yeah.. the guy who has scored 120 goals in a game of NHL '94 has come to tell me how realistic it is. I forgot actual NHL teams score 100+ goals in a game every now and then. Good stuff.

Edited by Premium

Just because the game engine in NHL94 isn't the most realistic isn't any reason that a guy making a rom can't differentiate players in different ways.

I would have no problem (as an example) making a guy weigh less if he didn't "use" his size in the NHL.. or guys who aren't factors on a teams scoring line, wouldn't have great STH.. things like that.

I think you carefully read how you are wording this plabber.

Plugging names & numbers into 1994 NHL hockey game is probably as far from real regardless of what 0-6 numbers you put on the guy.

So, if guys are trying to tweak how the fake player that all look the same size actually play inside the game, I can't imagine a true realist would even be on this forum.

Sure, do it all you want. It's just the opposite of real player ratings since you are deliberately making them fake.

"Real" can reference physical relevance, or statistical relevance.

All I am saying is:

#1 I enjoy the way the Original Classic rom plays.

#2 I want to play with an older generation of players.

#3 I want the best players to be the best players.

(Gordie Howe does not translate that well into a Classic NHL 94 player. Big, not a great skater, etc...)

(Yvon Cournoyer would be better than Jean Beliveau by what is important in 94)

Jer33 is right I want statistical realism.

#4 We have tons of information regarding the classic rom as to what players and teams are good so I can mirror that in older roms.

#5 I can make a rom with fairly even teams that everyone is familiar with and has been fun to play for 20 years.

#6 I don't need to re-invent the wheel.

#7 If I was making a current rom I would just plug Mogilny in for Ovechkin and Crosby for Roenick. etc....and be done. Everyone would know exactly that they are dealing with.

#8 Not saying this is best just how I would do it.

#9 Skip has done amazing work incredibly tough job to do all these ratings from scratch.

#10 Plabby is an amazing resource as to what matters in 94 and he is very knowledgeable about REAL Hockey

I 100% Agree NHL 94 is not real!

Edited by CoachMac

All I am saying is:

#1 I enjoy the way the Original Classic rom plays.

#2 I want to play with an older generation of players.

#3 I want the best players to be the best players.

(Gordie Howe does not translate that well into a Classic NHL 94 player. Big, not a great skater, etc...)

(Yvon Cournoyer would be better than Jean Beliveau by what is important in 94)

Jer33 is right I want statistical realism.

#4 We have tons of information regarding the classic rom as to what players and teams are good so I can mirror that in older roms.

#5 I can make a rom with fairly even teams that everyone is familiar with and has been fun to play for 20 years.

#6 I don't need to re-invent the wheel.

#7 If I was making a current rom I would just plug Mogilny in for Ovechkin and Crosby for Roenick. etc....and be done. Everyone would know exactly that they are dealing with.

#8 Not saying this is best just how I would do it.

#9 Skip has done amazing work incredibly tough job to do all these ratings from scratch.

#10 Plabby is an amazing resource as to what matters in 94 and he is very knowledgeable about REAL Hockey

I 100% Agree NHL 94 is not real!

Thanks CoachMac! And just a bit about my process: For physical things like speed and shot power, I try to use the eye test. But for other things, I use stats all the way. If a guys scores 25 goals, he will have a 4-4 shot. If he scores 30+, he will almost be guaranteed a 5 acc.

Same thing for off awr. I did the ppg average for all of the top ~150 players. If they had a certain threshold, they were a 5.

Before this season, Crosby (1.36), Malkin (1.20), Ovechkin (1.18) and Jagr (1.16) were the only four current players scoring above a 1.01 points per game clip, so they earned the 6's.

I gave a 5 to anyone who had, I think, above a .69 average. But, I based that on a gut feeling as well, because I had to draw a line somewhere, and drawing that line is the most subjective piece.

CoachMac and I seem to have aligning philosophies. We want the best players to be the best in the game. I just took it a psychotic step further and rated all of them :)

You are dealing with a couple of things here, and this gets lost in ratings sometimes. And that is the "feel" of the player in the game. So even once the ratings have been done, the play-testers could make adjustments.

It's the difference between perhaps rating down a 6/6 skater to a 6/5 to make him handle better, or minor adjustments to the OFF/DEF balance in order to make him better with AI positioning.

If using Blitz style WBF, you could ratchet up a players checking ability and tune down his weight in order to create a "fast/heavy".

Just ideas.

For physical things like speed and shot power, I try to use the eye test. But for other things, I use stats all the way. If a guys scores 25 goals, he will have a 4-4 shot. If he scores 30+, he will almost be guaranteed a 5 acc.

Very Cool Skip.

Are you aware of how NHL 92 rated players?

Every attribute is related to a statistic from the 1991 season.

EXCEPT

Agility, Speed, Shot Power, and Stickhandling.

I can send you the data if you are interested.

I just took it a psychotic step further and rated all of them

I get this I had made a ton roms of NHL and TSB and just never statisfied with my ratings until I saw some TSB roms that just plugged into Original ratings. I made a College Football TSB rom using this formula and have absolutely loved it.

You get the exact same gameplay just with new names and a new era.

Which is exactly what I want.

Here is my TSB College Football 1970 rom.

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/66004-nes-1970tecmocfb/

On another note, I have spoken with Kingraph about better organizing our rom download section so it is easier to find custom created roms.

I would love to see it where we had 1 Post with Skips Current roms, 1 Post with Naples current roms and Deadline roms, ! post with all Slapshots, etc....

Just noticed this is Post 999 for me.

:exciting:

Edited by CoachMac