NHL'94 Forums

Setting Your League Lines

jer_33

I'll use this post to gather all of the best links and ideas on the site, or discussed on AIM.

Keep in mind, that most leagues draft 12 players, you don't need to include all players in your lines - setting your "top line" is obviously most important. The 2nd or 3rd lines are just there for ease of injury or penalty replacement. So while you drafted a "second line", you use the line-ups for the NHL94 game engine to find your next best replacement in case of injury or penalty. As an example, most coaches would rather slide their top-line wingers together if the centerman takes a penalty (logically your 2 best PKers), so instead of posting your 4th best forward as the C2 in your lines, you'd list your preferred W, with the other W on his left. Read King's post (linked below) to read more about how the game engine looks for player substitutions.

First a few links to read:

From AngryJay:

If the starting C gets a penalty, the 2nd line C comes in, if that player gets a penalty as well while the 1st C is in, then the next available left wing is the center, which is the 1st line left wing, then if that player gets a penalty, its the 2nd line left wing, and if you somehow get all 4 in the box, the 1st RW takes over.

On defense, if you get 3 D men in the box, your first LW becomes the other defenseman.

The 2nd RW is a dead spot in the lineup, it will only come in without editing the lines if the starting RW gets hurt. This is the perfect place to hide the guys that you never want to see the ice under any circumstance aside from injury to your starting RW.

Edited by jer_33

The easy "BPA" line set-up:

This line set-up will guarantee that you always have your "BPA - Best Players Available" on the ice.

Instead of thinking about your 6 forwards as "lines", organize them from best to worst giving some thought about how you like your top-line. Best player at C? Like a "rightie" shooter on the left-wing?

Forwards:

C1 -

LW1 -

RW1 -

F4 -

F5 -

F6 -

Defence:

LD1 -

RD1 -

D3 -

D4 -

Goalies:

G1 -

G2 -

2 line format (GDL, Blitz):

Line 1: LW1 - C1 - RW1 (ex: F4)

Line 2: RW1* - LW1* - F4 (ex: F5) * you can swap these two if you prefer your RW1 as a replacement C

Pair 1: LD1 - RD1

Pair 2: D3 - RD1

Starter: G1

Back-up: G2

3 line format:

Line 1: LW1 - C1 - RW1 (ex: F4)

Line 2: RW1* - LW1* - F4 (ex: F5) * you can swap these two if you prefer your RW1 as a replacement C

Line 3: F4 - RW1* - F5 * if you used your RW1 at C in line 2, swap for LW1 at C on this line

Pair 1: LD1 - RD1

Pair 2: D3 - RD1

Pair 3: D4 - D3

Starter: G1

Back-up: G2

Edited by jer_33

• 3 months later...

One thing I do not know, is if you take a penalty, who goes off when you lose a player, the right defender?

And if you take another penalty, is it both defenders? Or 1 D one F?

So with 5 guys you are:
LW C RW

LD RD

With 4 guys are you:
LW C RW

LD -

And 3 guys? What then?

One thing I do not know, is if you take a penalty, who goes off when you lose a player, the right defender?

And if you take another penalty, is it both defenders? Or 1 D one F?

So with 5 guys you are:

LW C RW

LD RD

With 4 guys are you:

LW C RW

LD -

And 3 guys? What then?

I'm surprised after 100's of games you don't know that the RW is the person who goes off the ice when a penalty is taken. Then LW. C always stays along with both defenders.

If you run out of dmen, the next available LW plays d-man.

You can see the sequences in my post that Jer linked to in his OP.

I often wondered if you could really speed up a draft by starting from both ends.. the 6th forward and back-up goalie are rarely used.

It's funny how we draft 12 players, but don't use all 12. It would make more sense to find a way to disable injuries and just draft 8 rounds.

No. Injuries, like penalties are at times random but largely consequences of playing style.

Last few drafts had rounds 8-12 last like 2 days, not a big deal considering we let the GDL regular season go 2 months. Plus some time for the ROM to be finalized/tested. The majority of folks just use "auto" for their final few rounds anyway.

Yeah, in the "GRAND SCHEME", those last 2 days get so much byatching, but don't take a real % of the actual time.

Yeah and they add personality/pocket strats to your roster. For example in GDL 7 I sported an all Soviet lineup. (except Bill Ranford cause there's no goalies)

Here is another question I should know the answer to but do not:

When a penalty is first called against your opponent, does the extra attacker you get have to be a forward?

(I ask because I have an offensive defenceman I would consider putting on.)

Here is another question I should know the answer to but do not:

When a penalty is first called against your opponent, does the extra attacker you get have to be a forward?

(I ask because I have an offensive defenceman I would consider putting on.)

You don't get an extra attacker, but the system will look to your PP lines. But ultimately no, I don't believe you can put a defenceman on your forward lines.

You don't get an extra attacker, but the system will look to your PP lines. But ultimately no, I don't believe you can put a defenceman on your forward lines.

What do you mean you don't get an extra attacker?

When a penalty is called on your opponent, and your own goalie leaves the ice, you get an extra attacker until the whistle blows?

What do you mean you don't get an extra attacker?

When a penalty is called on your opponent, and your own goalie leaves the ice, you get an extra attacker until the whistle blows?

Sorry Aquaman, I misread your question.

I just tried adding a defenceman as the extra player in NOSE and it didn't give me any grief - can't test the results at work however.